Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I having been researching the lap-band for many years. Now that I'm very close to having it done, I'm freaking out that it will end up like all my other failed diets. I am 27 years old and I've dieted 3 times in my life. Once loosing 50 lbs, then another loosing 90 lbs, and the last diet loosing 100lbs. Once I loose all the weight, I begin to "binge" :hungry: and feel like I've deprived myself for so long. I've just now started seeing a counsoler because I beleive that this pattern is totally mental. That is why I'm affraid to spend all the money on the band, loose lots of weight, and then (like always) gain it back. I'm affraid if this is a mental thing, that I'll NEVER conqour it. Has anybody overcome the "mental" issues with food? I'm so miserable being over weight but, I can't ever seem to keep it off. What makes the band different than a regular diet? Any advice would be SO appreicated. Congrats to all of you who have made the decision and been successful!!!

I'm sure your doubt is quite common--nothing we have ever done has been successful (for the long run) and so we all feel this is a goal we can't ever accomplish!

I'm 60 years old and going to be banded next month--and all I know is that this seems to be our very best option for permanent weight loss. All we have to do is to follow the rules--if you've been reading the lap band forums on the net, you know what the consequences of not following the rules.

Perhaps this is our true answer--all I can say is that I'm going to go for it--because without it, we are doomed to a lifetime of being overweight and all the 'baggage' that goes with it from ourselves and society, not including the eventual severe health issues, i.e. diabetes, kidney disease, congestive heart failure, knee and hip replacements.

Don't doubt yourself any longer--all these people did it, and we sure can too!!

It sounds like you do have some psychological issues, as most of us do. That being said, let's assume that you lose down to your goal weight and the binge demon says to you, "OK, you've worked hard, reward yourself, pig out for a few weeks!" If you've still got the band and have restriction, guess what? The first time you give in to your binge demon you will feel like you are going to die! The point is, the band will be a tool to help keep you honest that you never had before. You will just have to love yourself enough to work with the band and obey the rules (don't drink with your meals, avoid high calorie liquids, etc.). So stop the negative thinking and enjoy your journey!

It sounds like you do have some psychological issues, as most of us do. That being said, let's assume that you lose down to your goal weight and the binge demon says to you, "OK, you've worked hard, reward yourself, pig out for a few weeks!" If you've still got the band and have restriction, guess what? The first time you give in to your binge demon you will feel like you are going to die! The point is, the band will be a tool to help keep you honest that you never had before. You will just have to love yourself enough to work with the band and obey the rules (don't drink with your meals, avoid high calorie liquids, etc.). So stop the negative thinking and enjoy your journey!

You misunderstand me--I'm not negative at all--au contraire!! (Darn the written word anyway!) :clap2::clap2:Just glad to have this option available!

I think all of us have failed over and over and over! That is why we chose the band. We have to have that tool to ensure that we do this and get healthy. I have failed weight watchers about 7 times, all the diet pills, all of the diet centers on the local corners not to mention I have every diet book, tape dvd, cd and movie on how to lose the weight! I was a self pay 13900.00. When I ask my husband honey are you sure we can do this loan, he said you bet! We invest in anything else cars, homes, boats and question when we invest in us! I think that is what makes us failures!!! Not believing in ourselves enough to take this journey! Go for it, You are worth it

Most of us who are banded or are getting banded, have mental and emotional food issues. Most of us have yo-yo dieted and then binged our way back to plump-ness. You're not alone ;) Like tachlime said, you really won't be able to "binge" like before. Even if you want to, the restriction of the band limits how much you can eat. I'm not saying there is no way to defeat the band, on the contrary, you could eat ice cream and chips to your hearts content and gain weight...but if you like to binge on pizza and burgers and stuff like that, it just won't be that easy. Only you can decide if you're ready to take this step. I believe that most of us had our moments of doubt, but I am SO glad that I went through with it. I'm four weeks out and haven't had a fill yet, but I still have to eat VERY slow or I'll feel VERY uncomfortable until the food passes. I am learning a new life style and it's great to have this tool to let me know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, when I've had enough to eat. I'm exercising regularly and I just feel SO good! Mentally and physically! :D

Best wishes in whatever you choose :D

You will feel restriction and less hungry. That is how you will take the weight off and keep it off. I eat like a bird now and I'm super happy. Good luck with your banding experience.

I think we have all been where you are today....If not, then we wouldn't have needed the band....I know that this is something that is going to work for me...I was banded in 4/07 and I have lost 37 lbs...I love the band....it works for me and I work with the band to make it work....