Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am flat out hungry (rant)

I am 8 days post op and I am hungry. I have read post saying it's not hunger you are thirsty and drink and eat stupid sf Popsicles and drink bland broth. NNNNOOOOO ITS NOT WORKING! For the time that it takes yo consume the liquid I am fine but shortly thereafter I am experiencing hunger pains. I do have head hunger I know but stomach hunger is real too. I never been an overrated meaning eating large portions, I just chose the wrong foods to consume and never worked out. So in saying that I know when I'm hungry and I'm getting so frustrated with these post telling me I'm not. I am weak on and off as if I'm not getting enough calories in to sustain for the day to keep active. HHHEEELLLLPPPP MEEEE!!!!!!

My understanding is that it could be a sign of acid reflux. Have you contacted your doctor? Are you on an acid blocker?

Thanks but I have to disagree with that, I read that as well but now way is it acid reflux as I suffered from that pre surgery and I am aware of the feelings that it comes with. When I say I am hungry I'm sure it's hunger.

Give the dietician a call or the surgeon, something may actually be wrong. I've been explained it could be head hunger but you know you and if your confident it's stomach hunger then it's possible it's something more serious. Make a call to the surgeons office. Best of luck.

You know how you are feeling best, but where are the pains? If they are lower they are in your intestines. Depending on how long you took pain medicine, your intestines could still be waking up.

When i did my swallow test I could see my stomach and my small intestines on the screen, that really helped me know their location. When I get pains it is when my stomach is emptying into my intestines because they are still waking up.

You are further out than me so that might not be the case.

Did you see your Dr today or yesterday and ask them about the hunger pains?

8 days and you're still on liquids--- you're hungry. Call the doc and ask if you can move onto cream Soups and cottage cheese. Your stomach sounds a little ready.

I got hungry too. I believe you! And I used to say the same thing...no, I'm not thirsty, no its not acid.....I'M HUNGRY! You just gotta power through it by continually drinking your protien, Soups, broths, Water, whatever you've got to do until that glorious moment when you can actually put some real food in your belly. Then it seems to subside. And I am someone because of complications was on full liquids for SIX WEEKS.

I still get hungry, but it's very off and on. But I when I am, boy do I know it!

You know how you are feeling best, but where are the pains? If they are lower they are in your intestines. Depending on how long you took pain medicine, your intestines could still be waking up.

When i did my swallow test I could see my stomach and my small intestines on the screen, that really helped me know their location. When I get pains it is when my stomach is emptying into my intestines because they are still waking up.

You are further out than me so that might not be the case.

Did you see your Dr today or yesterday and ask them about the hunger pains?

I saw my Dr. On Monday for IV therapy didn't have this issue start until Wednesday but I have been pouring through. The pain isn't lower I actually didn't take pain meds at all after being discharged. I didn't even have to take anything for nausea or Constipation because I didn't get a lot of pain meds. The Myers cocktail that was given to me was 2 weeks worth of all the Vitamins and hydration needed to heal so I haven't taken anything by mouth. I think because of it I am healing fast causing me to be ready to feed my sleeve I call Minnie lol. The Protein shakes are making me dry heeve but I still push through to get it in. I have even tried drinking other Protein enriched drinks like slim fast and carnation instant Breakfast to help get the full feeling. Those were things left over from pre op. It works for anoint an hour then boom hungry again. On the upside I am down 29 pounds which can to be a bit fast so my body searching for nourishment. Thanks for the feedback.

Try and hang in there. The liquid portion of the diet will be over soon. Just make sure you are taking your supplements and Vitamins. I'd even ask the nutritionist if you could add an additional shake to your diet to keep your energy levels up.

I believe you! Week two is tough.

I get hungry too. I have learned to have a bottle of Water with me all of the time. It does help with the hunger. It also doesn't help that you are 8 days post-op and in your liquid phase. For me I puréed cream Soups high in calories after the clear liquid phase. It helped with the hunger. Hang it! It gets better.

Thank you guys for the encouragement I tried calling my Nut but the office is closed so I took it upon myself to blend Soup and ate it and for sure about 5 small spoons I instantly felt better. So I will try doing this once a day until Monday then tell my nut what's going on maybe she will just move me ahead onto purée because I need to go back to work and I can't do it weak like that.

I never been an overrated meaning eating large portions, I just chose the wrong foods to consume and never worked out. So in saying that I know when I'm hungry and I'm getting so frustrated with these post telling me I'm not.

Girl, brutal honesty here and NO judgement. I have a hard time believing one could hit 340+ pounds without overeating. Again, no judgement, I myself was the biggest over eater you can imagine.

I'd suggest doing your best to NOT listen to your body. Weigh, measure and track everything. It's easy to nibble, lick, chew, sip an extra 1,000-3,000 calories a day without even realizing it and our bodies/ brains will scream for more despite our best intentions.

This is the time to break that cycle and hit a healthy weight. It's hard, it sucks, it blows, but you CAN do it. If I can, anyone can.

I was super hungry too, up until my 3rd month. I never gave in to the hunger..I weighed and measured, and ate only my 3 meals per my NUT's instructions, and then one day, out of the blue, I stopped being hungry. It was an actual "moment" when I noticed the hungry went away. I discussed it with my psych, and he said I was right on track, and it was perfectly normal. So, hang in there, it will resolve itself. Just do what your NUT advises.

Yep. I was hungry too but even if you have had acid reflux before it could be presenting differently. A Zantac helped that hunger pain considerably for me and there was another post a few weeks back on same issue where Zantac helped a few others. Might be with a shot.