Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello

I was very happy to find this forum.

I wanted to ask people who have been though it, what are the everyday limitations they experience?

What food can you never tolerate again? is there some food that you cant tolerate at first but with time you can? And most importantly, I wanted to ask if you really changed the way u think about food as they say you should and completely started to eat healthy or can u still eat the things u like just in really small portions? I realize what the official medical recommendations are, but I wanted to know from real life people who have been through it.

Thanks so much anything will be helpful

If like to know too.

I know the answer we would all like to hear is that you can eat whatever you want and your miraculous sleeve will only allow you to have 3 Reeses Pieces, 1 Margharita and half a slice of Chicago Deep pizza. The programs designed by our surgeons and NUTs are really the way we are intended to eat. If you know Protein is alway first, followed by healthy carbs like veggies and fruit, we will not have much room for error. I am not very far out but I watch our experienced/at goal leaders like a hawk! I am 62 and have always sabbotaged my "diets" in the past and I have been given a clean slate with a special tool to help. To use an old, old saying "Today is the first day of the rest of my life". At my age, it could also be the last! LOL Actually, I intend to experience and enjoy many, many years of healthy living and eating!

I am three months out so this is what I have observed so far.

The challenge with the sleeve is 180 degrees from my pre-sleeve dieting life.

Now, rather than being hungry all the time while trying to avoid eating too much and craving unhealthy foods, I am not hungry very often but have to make sure I am eating and drinking frequently. Unhealthy food is not appealing to me at all. Now, when I eat delicious food, I am able to enjoy it and be satisfied with a very small amount.

An example: I LOVE Greek/Mediterranean food but do not have a good restaurant near me. On the way home from my three-month surgeon's office, I stopped at a Greek restaurant. I got a lunch special (without rice or pita), and added extra meat. I ate a small amount and was satisfied for lunch. I brought the rest home and had some for dinner last night and lunch today and still have enough for one more meal.

I am also just as satisfied with a meal of cottage cheese or yogurt.

A turkey burger patty with green Beans is a feast.

My nephews chocolate birthday cake was not remotely appealing.

It's hard to describe, but it is a very different experience.

I know the answer we would all like to hear is that you can eat whatever you want and your miraculous sleeve will only allow you to have 3 Reeses Pieces, 1 Margharita and half a slice of Chicago Deep pizza. The programs designed by our surgeons and NUTs are really the way we are intended to eat. If you know Protein is alway first, followed by healthy carbs like veggies and fruit, we will not have much room for error. I am not very far out but I watch our experienced/at goal leaders like a hawk! I am 62 and have always sabbotaged my "diets" in the past and I have been given a clean slate with a special tool to help. To use an old, old saying "Today is the first day of the rest of my life". At my age, it could also be the last! LOL Actually, I intend to experience and enjoy many, many years of healthy living and eating!

The unhealthy foods are what got us here so why would you want to eat them again. If it drives you nuts then eat your Protein first, then your veggies and ONLY THEN if you have room for a bite to satisfy that craving then do it. Only do that if you are following the other steps such as fluids and exercise!

Do a search on BP for threads about regaining the weight after surgery. At 7 months out, those are the people whose posts I take to heart along with the responses they receive.

I don't need to learn the hard way! Protein first, veg then fruit. Carbs are not my friend.

Excellent article to read -- http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/support/3-top-reasons-for-regain-after-weight-loss-surgery-r520

Do a search on BP for threads about regaining the weight after surgery. At 7 months out, those are the people whose posts I take to heart along with the responses they receive.

I don't need to learn the hard way! Protein first, veg then fruit. Carbs are not my friend.

At 2+ years out, my normal diet includes meat, fish, eggs, green veggies, healthy fats (olive oil for the most part), fruit, tree nuts, black coffee, tea, and yogurt. Things that I have occasionally include dairy (other than yogurt), Beans, ground nuts, and pulses (such as lentils). Things that I avoid other than on very special occasions are grains, refined sugar, alcohol, and starchy veggies. And by "very special occasion" I mean basically Christmas and Thanksgiving, not "my niece's graduation" or "my mother's birthday." I have learned through very hard experience that with that last group of foods, if I let them into my life, they take over and I am on a rapid road to re-gain. There are definitely some people who can practice "everything in moderation" after the sleeve and not re-gain their weight, and I am not one of them. All that said, I enjoy my food, I love my life, and I do not feel deprived.

There isn't any food that I can't physically tolerate (to the point of throwing up or getting food stuck, or dumping), but both leavened bread and carbonation make my tiny stomach very uncomfortable, so I avoid them. Well, I have a few sips of champagne on those special occasions but that is it. Anything more just hurts and defeats the purpose.

I am 6 weeks out from surgery and have faster figured out this: chicken is good but makes me SO full and sits really heavy on my stomach, so I can only eat about two bites of a grilled tender. My sleeve DOES NOT like greasy or fried foods, and does not crave sweets any more (I used to could eat a whole box of little Debbie's a day). During my soft foods I started out eating baked fish and can NOT stand to smell, look, or eat it anymore. I don't know why this is. I honestly can't stand to stomach a Premier Protein shake anymore. I've never gotten sick but it's just like my body is telling me please don't put junk in me anymore. I eat lots of deli meat, nuts, cheese, because it is light on my stomach! But I feel like my likes and dislikes are still constantly changing.

I'm so glad I ran across this topic. What great info. I'm only 6 days post op but learning everyday.

@@ShrinkingPeach Please re=read my post! You and I are on the same sheet LOL! Sue

@@Shustar, so sorry I quoted you to agree, guess I should have mentioned that! lol

You had it spot on!

@@ShrinkingPeach Now for dinner, I am having 3 Reeses Pieces, 1 Margharita and half a slice of Chicago Deep Pizza......LOL

I'm almost a year post op and I can eat everything I used to except spicy foods (which cause instant stomach burning) and dairy (intestinal cramping). As for volumn.... slider foods I seem to have a never ending capacity for. Protein I can eat no more than 3oz... unless I've just exercised. For some reason my capacity after exercise is much more. Now, I strongly strongly urge you to stick to the diet. I made the horrible horrible mistake of thinking that I could eat anything as long as it was in certain circumstances. Just because you can eat it, does not mean you should (and if u do, you won't be happy with your results)

I'm almost 3 yrs post op. I can't tolerate anything. & if I go to a family function I don't stop myself from eating a piece of cake. But I know better.. During the week I keep myself on a very strict limited diet I don't play with my weight. I don't ever want to go back to who I use to be. We have to remember ourself on a daily basis why it was that we decided to do this. To make we stay on track & focus but I guess it's to each there own..