Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomachache after Whey Protein?

I have tried a few different individual packets of whey Protein with greek yogurt, milk, muscle milk and Water and every time - and every single time i have one - two sips my stomach is KILLING me. It's not a full feeling, it's pain and discomfort. Has anyone else had this reaction? I was trying to save some money/calories by going to powder instead of continuing with pre-made shakes like muscle milk but it's seriously painful, to the point where I want to leave work and go to bed.

I'm not trying to punish myself by continuing to try it - I just want to find a way to make it work. but maybe I'm just intolerant for some reason.

Thoughts?

Have you tried thinning out the Protein with extra liquid?

I get a heavy stomach when i drink shakes with too less liquid.< /p>

It could also be the Whey that is bothering you.

Do you have the same issue when you eat Protein rather than drink it?

@@MissRobin I have tried thinning it out - it says 8 oz liquid but i try to use at least 16-20 oz. When I eat Protein I dont have any issues [at least not yet with chicken cold -cuts, turkey breast and chicken sausage]. I'm at the pureed stage so eating these in small quantities/ cutting them up very tiny but they don't give me any trouble.

Must be the whey :(

Protein shakes are nasty anyways.

Regardless of the "flavor" they are called

Have you ever put Protein Powder in a glass mixed it with Water and watch what happens over the course of an hour? It is absolutely disgusting.

It turns into sludge and smells awful

And that happens in your belly so I can understand why it bothers your tummy so much‎.

Please don't feel you are alone getting stomach aches from Protein.< /p>

I have read many posts about drinking protein and hurting so I asked my Dr.

He said your stomach detects protein and sends out more stomach acid to digest it. But since there is no dense protein to digest ....it stays there and it can hurt.

Since I heard that, I try to have a little something light before I eat a bar or especially before I have a Protein Shake.< /p>

It might be worth a try.

Good luck and keep posting.????