Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, Im almost done with the process of getting surgery. I don't know which one I should do. Its between the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve. I want something that will help me long term , that will help me for a long time. I'm 27 years old. I heard the sleeve could get stretched out. I just want some advice or what which one would pick? I'm leaning towards the gastric bypass. Thank you in advance ????

Before surgery, I had several bouts of acid reflux (GERD). Because of this the answer was clear, gastric bypass (RNY) was the only good choice and the sleeve was not.

Gastric bypass has been around for several years and has a good track record. In comparison the sleeve is a newer option. But from what I can tell, the sleeve is rapidly taking over as the primary gastric bypass surgery option selected.

Yes I feel that there will be better outcomes with a bypass almost had the lap band a few years ago sooooo glad I didn't ☺️

I suppose the circumstances are different for each of us, however, with reflux and desire to get maximum lasting results with weight loss and diabetes avoidance.......my surgeon really prefers bypass for me.

I've also been on the sidelines and watched the excellent results my younger sister has had with her bypass these last 15 years.

It was an easy call for me.

I went into this wanting the sleeve (I was pretty hell bent on getting it) as it was less invasive and I didn't want them messing with my intestines (lol) but when I had my first appt with my surgeon I decided to keep an open mind. We discussed both options and he told me he thinks I would do great with either one. He said the RNY would be a bit more powerful and of course I'm thinking "I could sure use more power" lol. My surgeon asked if I had a acid reflux and I told him that I've had some episodes of it but it's nothing crazy.He then told me that the sleeve could make it worse and the RNY cures it. When I went home I thought about it, did more research and discussed it with my husband. Over the following month I made a decision the have Gastric Bypass. I also talked to a friend of mine who has been sleeved for 4 years and recently started having episodes of acid reflux and she's never had it previous to being sleeved, but even with that she's happy and has lost and maintained her fat lost.

@greeneyezz My advice is to make sure you do your research to make the best informed decision for you because the fact is that anyone can complications with any kind of surgery, including bariatric surgery.

Before surgery, I had several bouts of acid reflux (GERD). Because of this the answer was clear, gastric bypass (RNY) was the only good choice and the sleeve was not.

Gastric bypass has been around for several years and has a good track record. In comparison the sleeve is a newer option. But from what I can tell, the sleeve is rapidly taking over as the primary gastric bypass surgery option selected.

My situation too!! Gastric reflux is terrible and this is one additional reason why I chose bypass. I also think that I have to do something drastic and this is it!

@@Charm82 We went into this with the exact same mindset, and ended up changing our minds for the exact same reasons.

My father suffered terribly from GERD and while mine hasn't been as severe, the mere chance that it might be aggravated by the sleeve made up my mind in the end. There were other factors that contributed but that was the main one.

It's a choice that everyone has to make for themselves, based on their own reasons. Each procedure come with pros and cons. You just have to decide which is the best fit for you.

Ditto. Same story here. Dr recommended busload die to GERD and Diabetes. I resisted at first but eventually got comfortable with it.

Hello everyone, Im almost done with the process of getting surgery. I don't know which one I should do. Its between the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve. I want something that will help me long term , that will help me for a long time. I'm 27 years old. I heard the sleeve could get stretched out. I just want some advice or what which one would pick? I'm leaning towards the gastric bypass. Thank you in advance

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgery Date: Nov 1999

Just curious....is this information below your avatar correct ?

RNY is considered the gold standard for WLS. My surgeon said the sleeve is the "new kid on the block" and there's not a lot of long-term data on it yet. However, they do know that, on average, more weight is lost with RNY than the sleeve. I have acid reflux so I opted for RNY (having surgery in about a week). However, I probably would have done it anyway since I RNY involves much less cutting than the sleeve.

I am also leaning toward the bypass vs the sleeve. I had my first appt this morning. I have to lose 11 pounds before they can schedule the procedure. Originally I was quite sure I would be going for the sleeve but now that I have spoken with the NP I am reconsidering. She told me the risk of malabsorption and malnutrition is much less if the supplement regimen is followed. That made me feel better.

I have a couple of thoughts on this. First, I am sleeved and have had wonderful success in losing weight and avoiding early complications. Up until a week ago I would have told anyone debating sleeve vs. bypass to go sleeve all the way. It is a less complex surgery and the idea of it stretching is very controversial. It's also not entirely true that there's w lack of data. The sleeve has long been preformed on stomach cancer patients and as part of a the DS surgery with good results. There's just less data on long term weight loss success compared to bypass. It's not a new surgery though.

However, I just discovered that since my surgery 11 months ago I have developed severe GERD and Barrett's Esophagus and am now faced with the decision of whether or not I need to convert to bypass. Most people with the sleeve don't develop really extreme GERD and if they do can manage it with a PPI. But since finding out that I now have Barrett's I'm finding more cases on this site and in research that show that the sleeve does increase acid reflux and is contradicted for people who already have it.

Just my two cents for anyone debating.