Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had some pretty intense bouts of gastritis but lately it's been hard to control.

I take 40mg omemprezole daily, 150mg ranitidine with meals, tums in the morning, and carafate drink with flare ups.

I currently have a flare up and none of its helping. The pain comes in burning waves and sometimes is so intense I wanna cry. I also get "hunger" symptoms like irritability, shakiness, and dizzyness. I used to mistaken this for low blood sugar but know now it's just stomach acid.

Anywho... has anyone had stubborn gastritis that hasn't responded to the above treatment? Any idea what can be added ?

I know that they do a revision to bypass for stubborn gerd, but I havnt heard much about gastritis. And only being 11 months out I don't think docs are even considering it. I'm curious what other treatments are available.

I suffer with gastritis same as you; same medications, too. I've been taking protonix since January because the omemprezole didn't work well. The Carafate is pretty awesome though. I don't have anything to offer in the way of advice, but I certainly empathize with your situation. Best of luck to you and your doctors to getting you feeling better.

Edited by KatrinaGrace

I can also empathize... mine has been awful over the past three weeks since my gallbladder came out. I am on pantoloc twice a day, sulcrafate four times a day and buscopan twice a day. For pain i am on tramacet every 6 hours. Been hospitalized twice now for a total of 5 days. ????

Have a follow up appointment this week to see how next steps for medication and if I stay on what i am or if they want to change it.

For the past few days it has at least been bearable. Prior to the pain medication i couldn't cope with the tearing and sudden pains . They would last 20 to 120 minutes and would happen up to 6 times a day ????

Needless to say eating was tough.

My surgeon also said a revision to bypass would be the next steps if the gastroscopy shows it is worse and cant be managed by pain.

I have been drinking happy life Water with a ph of 7.4 and i think it does help soothe the stomach a bit....

Have you had a gastroscopy and ph test and stuff ?

I also try and eat a small amount of food every 2 hours while i am awake. I try and stick to foods with a ph level of 5 and higher if possible... very hard to do and still get Protein... so i definitely rely on the medication. Oh and i also have a couple plain dry almonds and some alkaline Water after every meal. And i sleep partially sitting up....

Sorry for rambljng... those are the things that come to mind. I feel i have been obsessed with this since the awful pains started! ????

@@KatrinaGrace omg carafate is wonderful. It disturbs me that I have to take it so often tho. How is the protonix??

@@autumn23242 oh my, you poor baby!!!! I'm so sorry for all your troubles. I bet your just miserable. How long has it been since your surgery?

I had an EGD which showed the gastritis but other wise was ok. The worst part is that when the gastritis gets bad I get esophageal spasms. Which are NOT pretty. I havnt had a pH test, surgeon suggested it if I didn't get better but I had by the time I saw him again. It's just started getting bad again this past month.

It's obviously not as bad as yours but I really dread living my life forever like this.

So what's the deal with the pH thing?

I had my vsg is december 2014 but it was only after my gallbladder filled with stones and came out june 22 that the problems started. I can only think that the gall bladder was collecting everything and once it was gone then it all started getting pushed up. My gastroscopy also just showed gastritis. The swallow test showed lots of reflux but thats about it ????. For the ph test they run a tube down your nose and attach a clip to your esophagus and then monitor your ph levels for 24 hours. Im not really sure what they do with those results.... its amazing i don't remember reading much about gastritis and reflux before surgery but in the past month there seems to be more and more people posting issues! I definitely still love my sleeve but really hope this can just be managed or converted to bypass. I just want it solved and not to drag on!! But I'm sure anyone with gastritis feels that way! It is definitely a pain and discomfort that you just can't prepare for!! Good luck with yours and hopefully it settles back down!!

@@autumn23242 I keep having pains in the gallbladder area too and my pcp keeps mentioning that we may have to remove it. I never thought it may make the gastritis worse. I'm so glad I've resisted!

So does the pH test just end up telling u what u should eat?

I love my sleeve too but if I was told I could have a revision. To escape this pain I would in a heart beat!

I had it for a few months after sugery, mine presentred as constant nausea 24/7. , I took the acis meds I still take , but carafate 3_4 times a day was my life saver. Surheon said it can be part of heading process for some, after 3 months af carafate I was better.

I am curious to know for those of you that take sucralfate / carafate.... what times of day did you take it at? Also how did you manage Vitamins and other meds with it? There seem to be so many eating/medications/vitamins restrictions and the timing! Help!! Having trouble getting food and vitamins in with all the anti acid pills!

Ugh, I honestly just take it when I can remember. My 3yo son has to take a liquid ranitidine because he has GERD. His is horrible tasting and he refused to take it till he noticed his and mine come in the same type bottle. Now he urges me to take the "icky" meds. I think I'd forget if not for that lol