Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When could you start to eat solid food

I'm currently ten weeks post op RNY and a little over one week since my first endoscopy and dilation of a stricture they found. I have only been able to tolerate yogurt and Premier Protein shakes since day one and have been unable to move to solid food. I'm regretting my decision to have the surgery as I'm still unable to eat and only manage to get around 400 calories a day from my two shakes and two yogurts. My question is when did you start to be able to tolerate and eat solid food? I would love to hear some feedback from those of you who had complications with strictures.

I didn't have strictures so not sure what to tell you, but I started soft solid foods at 4 or 5 weeks postop. I'm 5.5 months postop and other than needing laxatives daily, I've had no issues postop, which is it's own pain in the rear... I do hope it gets better for you. Have you tried things like refried Beans or pureed chicken to attempt a variety? Just thinking out loud here.

Yes, within my guidelines in my book I've tried things like tuna salad, egg salad, mushy scrambled egg, etc but all without success. End up feeling like a clogged drain with liquid gurgling up into my throat when I burp.

I started my solid foods at 7 weeks, but meat had to be very tender and you have to ease into it...I did not have the strictures but my daughter did and she started eating solids about 10 weeks out, same thing, go into slowly..

I had 2 dilations for strictures and my surgery was 6/8. My doctor said I will probably need to have it done at least two more times. I cannot wait to finally eat some real food!!!

I also had one dilated a little over a week ago (I'm seven weeks out). I've managed to eat egg salad, shrimp, and string cheese since then.

I had string cheese today and cottage cheese. Tomorrow I am going to try tuna fish. Hope it works!!

Ashelybrady87 I'm sleeved and I felt the same way for a long time I'm five months post op meat fish etc some things take longer to get used to and to be able to tolerate small bites chew very well make it as moist as possible and don't try to eat a lot at once try a couple bites this is what I found I had to do there's a lot of swelling and it takes time to get used to it's a process that can be very frustrating it forces you to slow down I would feel as if it was stuck in my throat too flake it up small and fine and try that just maybe a couple bites and try to build up to it from there I just today was able to eat a portion of tuna and finish it and not feel like it was going to come up in my throat and take up residence lol my dog was so unhappy he didn't get to finish my lunch lol I still have trouble eating in the morning at times I take a bite and feel sick my nutritionist told me it's probably still some swelling and to try some warm tea or warm drink of whatever I'm allowed and then try eating later it seems to have helped

Hello I'm 2 months sleeved and my food intake is still a struggle the Protein Shakes make me sick now. eggs don't agree with me so so I try to at least three spoons of yogurt when does it get better. chicken agrees sometimes mu nausea is terrible and most of the time I throw up mu food. Any suggestions or recipes...

How did you know you had a stricture?

I didn't know for sure until I consulted with my surgeon who referred me to a GI doctor. Then the GI doctor performed an upper endoscopy to see what was going on inside and found the stricture. They've since been able to dilate it, stretch it open, with a balloon through the endoscopy twice and I'm scheduled for a third one this coming Monday.

ok I have been seeing alot of people talk about this strictures procedure and wondered what that was about. I have a appointment in September but if things keep going the way there I may go sooner. Thanks

if you have a stricture, you'll feel a night and day difference after the procedure. Beforehand I was having miserable acid reflux issues for several days and I started having trouble keeping things down. Towards the end, I could hardly keep *anything* down. I had no idea it could be a stricture because I didn't know it could cause acid issues (in addition to vomiting), but they did an upper endoscopy and there it was! What a huge relief to be rid of the thing! It's an easy fix and I felt a million times better afterward!