Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, how long did you take off from work after surgery?

I'm planning on being away from work for two weeks to recover from RNY. I was wondering how much time other people took off from work to recover their their surgeries.

I took 4 weeks. Disability is paid at 100%, for up to 4 weeks. When I returned to work, I was still pretty sore and on some pain meds.

At pre-op, I only planned for 2-weeks out after surgery. I have a desk job 75% of the day so I felt 2-weeks would be enough. Based on my PCP high recommendation, I took 4-weeks and BOY did I need it. At two weeks, I would NEVER had been ready to come back. Energy level was still low, still sore, new tummy was still uneasy and still on some pain meds plus starting all Vitamins requirments. Although I felt better than surgery week at 2-weeks post-op, I still needed that additional resting/adjusting time. Just something to think about.

If all else, request more than 2 weeks and if you don't need it and feel up to going back after 2-weeks, go fo rit!

I took 2 1/2 weeks and worked from home most of that time. Having said that, I have since missed 5 additional (not necessarily consecutive) days because I was too nauseated or too constipated or just too dangerous exhausted. Really wish I had taken 4 weeks. I think it would have cut down on some if the additional absences as I think I pushed myself. Even if you feel physically able, learning to eat slow, drink fluids, etc is very hard to get used to once you are back at work and otherwise distracted. There are a lot if people on here that went back in a week and my Dr said I could return in a weenie needed. I honestly cannot imagine how people do that but there clearly are those that do. My advice is to take whatever time you can get!

I am a teacher, so I planned to have surgery at the beginning of the summer when I was off of work already. However, looking back on the process I would have wanted at least 3 weeks. With the ups and downs, lack of energy, nausea and just getting used to everything 3 weeks would be helpful.

Thanks everybody! I appreaciate you sharing what your experience was. This is all new to me and it's good to be able to set expectations for myself.

I've taken 4 weeks. I might have been able to go back after 3, but certainly not before that. Shoot I'm still taking a nap every afternoon, I'm sure work won't let me do that lol.

Edited by rnwrny

2 weeks.

I took 1.5 and the first few days back, I usually left early because I was tired. I would have liked two full but work was too busy for that.

By the start of the third week, i was feeling pretty much back to normal.

Take as much as you can. I was out 8 full days. First few weeks were exhausting! For me driving was the worst part.

I

Sorry about the "I" post! My fingers have a mind of their own!

I plan on taking six weeks. For healing and also to have a period to adjust to a whole new digestive system. If you can I recommend taking as much as you're able. You can always go back earlier if you feel up to it later.

I took 2 weeks, but went back after 1.

I was off for 4 weeks but really could have used an additional week to week and a half. I ended up having to have my drain in for an additional week and that really postponed my overall heaing initially. If you have the chance, I would take at least 4 weeks. You will be surprised at how tired you are once you return to a full day of work!

I took off 10 days, including my hospital stay. Today is my first day back to work and so far so good. I wish I could have taken more time though. Getting all my food prepared for the day was a chore and I keep forgetting to eat and drink. I don't have a set routine yet. As far as pain is concerned, I didn't have any once I returned home (and I have a very low pain tolerance!!!). I walk 30 min everyday on the treadmill, so my energy level is pretty good today. I say take as much time as you are allowed. You can always choose to go back earlier than planned, if you feel you are ready.