Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any ST. LOUIS sleevers familiar with Dr. J. Stephen Scott out of Des Peres Hospital?

Hey! Just wanted to know if anyone is familiar with or know the reputation of Dr. Scott. Any info is helpful. I'm due to meet with him in a couple of weeks. Thanks in advance!

Hey! Just wanted to know if anyone is familiar with or know the reputation of Dr. Scott. Any info is helpful. I'm due to meet with him in a couple of weeks. Thanks in advance!

Hi Nikki - I'm not familiar with him, but I have seen the name a few times during my time in this board. The search function on this site isn't the most user friendly.

I can vouch for a very positive experience with the office of Dr. Christopher Eagon at Wash U./BJC. Hopefully your Dr has some patient support groups you can attend - that might be a source of good info.

Thank you!

I had my surgery in Columbia at University of Missouri hospital. I had the option of choosing Dr. Scott. or Roger De La Torre. Although Dr. Scott is a reputable bariatric surgeon, I went with Dr. De La Torre because he had more experience with performing sleeve surgeries.

I went with Dr Minkin at Des Peres. I don't know about Dr Scott. I believe Dr Minkin is the head of the department. My experience has been awesome.

I went with Dr Minkin at Des Peres. I don't know about Dr Scott. I believe Dr Minkin is the head of the department. My experience has been awesome.

awesome! What can I expect? Pre-surgery and after surgery? liquid diet and whatnot?

I think that each Dr does their own thing, even though they are in the same department. It also depends on the patient.

I was on a 10 day pre-op diet, most people seem to have 5-3 but I am higher BMI. It was hell I won't lie, and I slipped up a little here and there, but I made sure to follow it to the letter on the last 3 days. Dr said my liver was great.

The hospital staff are really nice, from the nurses and the techs to the residents and the Drs. They are very experienced and they act like it. The radiology staff that did my swallow test were very nice also.

Admissions is slow, they try to claim that they aren't but if you have ever done any admissions at BJC it is slow in comparison, because everything at BJC is electronic and they still make you sign papers at Des Peres. So get there a little earlier for everything to accommodate the slow admission times. The admissions staff are all very nice and friendly though.

The whole experience for me has been very streamlined. I went to my first meeting in late April. Saw the Dr in May, Approved in June, Sleeved in July. They focus on this and they have it down. I met with a nutritionist when I did my Psych eval and she was not that informative, the class you take right before surgery really goes over everything you need to know and you have a handbook that you can refer to. It outlines everything you should and shouldn't eat for 6 months. It also talks about Vitamins and OTC medicines. The book you get at this class is really your gastric sleeve bible. If you pay attention in class and read the book on your own, you will know everything you need to know.

I am only 2 days post op. I had my surgery in the afternoon on the 15th, and I was discharged about 24 hours later. As soon as I left recovery and was assigned a room, I went to the bathroom, then walked a lap around the floor. I rested for a few hours then I walked 5 laps, then 10 laps, then 3 more laps over night. Walk, as soon as possible. Walking pretty much alleviates the pain, at least it did for me. I have 5 incisions and no drain. If I didn't have the bandages over the incisions I wouldn't know they were there. I don't feel them at all. When I touch them, there is no tenderness.

I walked into Walmart yesterday to fill my scripts, and today I got a pedicure and want to walmart again.

I'm just kind of rambling now, if you have more specific questions I didn't answer let me know.

I purchased all my Protein and Supplement Superstore. I walked in and told the guys what I needed and why and they showed me the right stuff to get. They are familiar with sleeve patients. They even sent me a thank you card/note in the mail that arrived today.

Also if your insurance covers it, go with the b-12 nasal and Vitamins (they have a sheet, when you get far enough in the process, this will make more sense). You get every Vitamin you need this way. The vitamins are shipped directly to your house and the vitamins melt in your mouth they are pretty tastey and they don't have an after taste. If you hold them in your mouth and sip Water, they melt faster. The cost going this way is 1/2 or less than what you would spend buying all of these vitamins each month. In my case I met my out of pocket in pre-op testing, so they cost me nothing.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I think that each Dr does their own thing, even though they are in the same department. It also depends on the patient.

I was on a 10 day pre-op diet, most people seem to have 5-3 but I am higher BMI. It was hell I won't lie, and I slipped up a little here and there, but I made sure to follow it to the letter on the last 3 days. Dr said my liver was great.

The hospital staff are really nice, from the nurses and the techs to the residents and the Drs. They are very experienced and they act like it. The radiology staff that did my swallow test were very nice also.

Admissions is slow, they try to claim that they aren't but if you have ever done any admissions at BJC it is slow in comparison, because everything at BJC is electronic and they still make you sign papers at Des Peres. So get there a little earlier for everything to accommodate the slow admission times. The admissions staff are all very nice and friendly though.

The whole experience for me has been very streamlined. I went to my first meeting in late April. Saw the Dr in May, Approved in June, Sleeved in July. They focus on this and they have it down. I met with a nutritionist when I did my Psych eval and she was not that informative, the class you take right before surgery really goes over everything you need to know and you have a handbook that you can refer to. It outlines everything you should and shouldn't eat for 6 months. It also talks about Vitamins and OTC medicines. The book you get at this class is really your gastric sleeve bible. If you pay attention in class and read the book on your own, you will know everything you need to know.

I am only 2 days post op. I had my surgery in the afternoon on the 15th, and I was discharged about 24 hours later. As soon as I left recovery and was assigned a room, I went to the bathroom, then walked a lap around the floor. I rested for a few hours then I walked 5 laps, then 10 laps, then 3 more laps over night. Walk, as soon as possible. Walking pretty much alleviates the pain, at least it did for me. I have 5 incisions and no drain. If I didn't have the bandages over the incisions I wouldn't know they were there. I don't feel them at all. When I touch them, there is no tenderness.

I walked into Walmart yesterday to fill my scripts, and today I got a pedicure and want to walmart again.

I'm just kind of rambling now, if you have more specific questions I didn't answer let me know.

I purchased all my Protein and Supplement Superstore. I walked in and told the guys what I needed and why and they showed me the right stuff to get. They are familiar with sleeve patients. They even sent me a thank you card/note in the mail that arrived today.

Also if your insurance covers it, go with the b-12 nasal and Vitamins (they have a sheet, when you get far enough in the process, this will make more sense). You get every Vitamin you need this way. The vitamins are shipped directly to your house and the vitamins melt in your mouth they are pretty tastey and they don't have an after taste. If you hold them in your mouth and sip Water, they melt faster. The cost going this way is 1/2 or less than what you would spend buying all of these vitamins each month. In my case I met my out of pocket in pre-op testing, so they cost me nothing.

OMG!! You are heaven sent!! You really answered a lot of my questions. I was THRILLED to see you had a long response! LOL! I have already met my out of pocket so hopefully I am covered as well. Which supplement store did you go to? Brentwood? And b-12 nasal? I'm assuming that's a spray right?

Also, what do you think I should take to the hospital with me? Doesn't seem like much if you were there less than 2 days.

Yes, it is a nasal spray. I haven't used it yet, you do it once a week so I decided I would do it on Saturday mornings. The melt away Vitamins are great.

I went to the Supplement Superstore on Lindeburgh in Hazelwood? It is in the same strip mall as golds gym, schnucks and wing stop. They don't carry Syntrax though, only the Illinois stores do. So I purchased all my Syntrax at the Edwardsville store.

You honestly don't really need much. As soon as you get there you take off all your clothes and put 2 gowns on, one going towards the back and one going towards the front like a robe. They give you socks to wear, which are super comfy, I think I am going to go put them on now, lol. They tell you not to bring anything valuable in the nutrition class. Bring a lip balm, your lips are going to be dry after surgery. You can't drink anything until after your swallow test. They do give you a bag of mouth swabs like this http://www.amazon.com/Sage-Toothette-Disposable-Flavored-Dentifrice/dp/B0015TK5IW/ref=pd_sim_194_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=10ZNCK4Q6810SN0CXJ1M and a small cup of Water you can dip those swabs in the Water and wipe you mouth out. You will want to do it often.

Once I was in my room all I used was my face wash, toner face moisturizer, lip balm and phone. Don't bring a lot. I wore the same clothes home that I wore there, since I only had them on for about an hour before I took them off for surgery. I brought an extra pair of panties.

The rooms are all private, you have a couple chairs, a reclining chair and a bed. The TV has good cable, I watched HGTV all night.

I was at the hospital about 28 hours. Dr Scott I think keeps his patients 2 days, most people stay 2 days. If you are motivated, walking around, and you pass your swallow test, you can go home as soon as you are tolerating liquids. I had about 2/3 of my cup of Jello and about 1/2 of my Protein shake and maybe 3 oz of water over like a 2 hours time period.

These are the Vitamins you get with the form the doctors office gives you. You can check now if your insurance covers the nasal spray. Basically you are paying for the nasal spray with insurance and the company tosses in the other Vitamins. They come with a nice bag and a booklet. There is an easy number to reorder and they are delivered to your door FedEx.

Also supplement superstore is the same price if not lower than online. They have the cheapest price for syntax. I know there are a lot of places you can order online but I really wanted a place I could walk in and ask questions. I also wanted to know that if I ever run low and can't wait for a shipment, I can just walk in some place and buy what I need.

post-255228-14371898876947_thumb.jpg

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

These are the Vitamins you get with the form the doctors office gives you. You can check now if your insurance covers the nasal spray. Basically you are paying for the nasal spray with insurance and the company tosses in the other Vitamins. They come with a nice bag and a booklet. There is an easy number to reorder and they are delivered to your door FedEx.

Also supplement superstore is the same price if not lower than online. They have the cheapest price for syntax. I know there are a lot of places you can order online but I really wanted a place I could walk in and ask questions. I also wanted to know that if I ever run low and can't wait for a shipment, I can just walk in some place and buy what I need.

thank you so much for all of the great info! I feel more prepared than ever!????

Happy to help

What kind of supportive care do they offer? Support Groups Gym membership, etc.?

They have different support groups that meet each month. They have groups that are for different stages of time since surgery.

I don't know if I will attend the groups since so many of the people are older and they have really different attitudes towards food and surgery.

Like when we were in nutrition class people were asking more about when they could get back to real food, saying they hated Protein shakes etc. I like Protein Shakes and I want to maximize my honeymoon time, taking advantage of the restriction and lack of hunger. It seems like most people are focused on getting back to normal. Also almost none of the people on my floor were up and moving around when I was in the hospital, they were just laying in bed asking for more pain meds.

I'm not sure I want to drive that distance to be around people like that. I will probably try a group or two to see what they are like and if my perception is wrong.

I will be honest though, I have not been focused on the aftercare as much as getting through surgery safely. That is my first focus. I will ask more about aftercare at my first Dr visit, and I am going to look through the book.

I started a SECRET Facebook Group (closed, nobody can see you are there) For July 2015 people only. I hope this can expand as a individualized community so we can help each other out through the same stages of this journey. I hope you can join. (1) The only way to join is to send email invites, not a link. You will need to private-message me your email address, the one linked to your FaceBook profile. An email invitation for the FaceBook group will be sent to you.

I hope you are doing well, and hope to see you soon!