Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Pre-Op weight loss

I don't have a solid surgery date yet. I'm not on the "pre-op liquid diet" stage. So I'm kind of pre, pre-op as far as diet.

I do want to lose about 25 more lbs before my surgery date. If I can make it to my mini-goal that means I will have 110 lbs to lose after my surgery.

I'm not even sure if the 25 lbs will matter but I've set out on this mission and want to accomplish it. Any tips? What did you do to lose weight in the beginning? I've lost 10-13 lbs so far... 25 more to go!!

I lost 20 pounds pre-op and 90 pounds post-op from RNY surgery. The 20 pounds pre-op came mostly by going cold turkey on drinking Cokes. I drank Cokes/Diet Cokes for over 50 years and generally about 6 cans per day. I knew that I had to give up carbonated beverages and caffeine for the surgery, so I started 6 months early. I suspect the weight loss was due to the carbonation. These small bubbles microscopically expanded my stomach over the years which allowed me to consume more food and gain weight. Once I got off them the pounds rolled off.

Also it is a good idea to give up caffeine early on because when I gave up Cokes my body went into withdrawal syndrome and I suffered severe headaches for about a week. This is common. It is better to get this over with and not compound the surgery with a bout of withdrawal at the same time.

Also walk each day for about 20 minutes. It will make your recovery go much much smoother.

I'm not much of a soda drinker. I might have a coke zero or a flavored carbonated Water once a week. I drink a lot of crystal light. Do you think that cutting back will help?

I started doing Protein shakes for Breakfast once I went to my original meeting, before meeting with the surgeon. From the time of the first meeting to when meeting with surgeon, I had lost 15lbs. From there, I only had to lose 12 more lbs to get surgery. By the time of surgery I was 10lbs past my goal weight, with losing 5 lbs in the two days before on the liquid diet.

Good luck on your journey

great job all of you.

It's never too early to prepare!!

Kate

I'm pretty much in the same stage....pre pre-op. I started a 3 month supervised weight loss period 3 weeks ago and have lost about 7-10 pounds. I am fitness pal and keeping my calories under 1600. I'm trying to give up my diet Sundrop but it is hard. I am also Water jogging at the pool 3-4 nights a week. When I saw my nutritionist yesterday she said that Adkins shakes are good...even post op. I use them for Breakfast since I was not a breakfast eater. Otherwise, I try to eat a well balanced low fat meal for lunch and dinner with fruit, cheese, or nuts for Snacks. Hope you have a good week. Give me a shout next weekend, PhatPhoenixVSG! We can keep each other motivated during this pre op time! :)

Will do!