Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dairy sensitivity and protein shakes :(

So, I was sleeved June 23rd 2015. Before surgery I was dairy sensitive, and never drank milk or ate yogurt (it made me nauseous and bloated). For pre-op, I could get in my whey Protein Shakes and Greek yogurts though, since my stomach was tougher, and I'd just feel crappy afterwards, since it was just a means to pre-surgery weight loss.

Now since surgery Protein shakes/dairy, and I, do not get along. I have been so nauseous from the whey, that I haven't gotten a full Protein Shake in since surgery. broth, Jello, Popsicles, and drinks do not make me sick at all. Vegan protein is literally so disgusting to me (texture, taste), but I have to do what I have to do. Here's to hoping my protein levels hit above 20 grams one of these days!

Have you tried Jay Robb egg white Protein? A lot of people really like it, and the numbers look better to me in terms of grams of protein vs. carbs etc. You can buy samples so you don't have to commit to a whole bag. Also, I mix my Protein Shakes with cashew milk or almond milk -- no dairy, lower calories, tastes good.

http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/egg-protein-samples.asp

You need to hit above 20 gms not only to heal, but to lose healthily. What vegan Protein shave you tried? I liked the Biochem vegan powder but I found I needed to blend it in the nutra bullet to remove the grittiness. Another option would be the Protein waters. Both Isopure and Syntrax make those. Special K makes some you can buy at the market but they are lower in protein.

Alternatives would be Beans, nut, lentils, tofu, dark green leafy veg like spinach or kale. If you are still on puree or soft foods blend them and add them to your broth. It is important to find ways to get your protein in.

I have been having a similar problem. I was sleeved on 6/20 and I have been pretty good about getting my Protein in. I have been drinking dairy milk mixed with my Protein Powder since Friday and everything was ok until Sunday. The last couple of days I have been nauseated when I drink my Protein shakes. I wasn't sure if it was the protein or the milk so now I am going to switch out the milk for almond milk and see if that helps.

I can easily... EASILY relate to this. I was sleeved on June 16th, 2015 and I've even had to get off the Protein shakes because of how nauseous they made me. What I've done with the dairy is I've started to use Lactaid Fat Free Milk and it's 100% lactose free. I'm doing just fine with it. I also have a problem processing fats now, at all, because I also had my gallbladder removed, so I tend to be very picky (while not wise) as to what I can take it.

How long does your doctor have you on clears, though? Because for me it was only a week. Everything does get better once you're able to start doing purees and soft foods. Just remember to get those Proteins in !

Have you tried Jay Robb egg white Protein? A lot of people really like it, and the numbers look better to me in terms of grams of Protein vs. carbs etc. You can buy samples so you don't have to commit to a whole bag. Also, I mix my protein shakes with cashew milk or almond milk -- no dairy, lower calories, tastes good.

http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/egg-protein-samples.asp

I'll check out that protein! I mix my shakes with coconut milk at the moment!

You need to hit above 20 gms not only to heal, but to lose healthily. What vegan protein shave you tried? I liked the Biochem vegan powder but I found I needed to blend it in the nutra bullet to remove the grittiness. Another option would be the protein waters. Both Isopure and Syntrax make those. Special K makes some you can buy at the market but they are lower in protein.

Alternatives would be Beans, nut, lentils, tofu, dark green leafy veg like spinach or kale. If you are still on puree or soft foods blend them and add them to your broth. It is important to find ways to get your protein in.

I have tried the VEGA brand from GNC. I looked into isopure, but it uses hydrolyzed whey protein. I'll check out syntrax!

I can easily... EASILY relate to this. I was sleeved on June 16th, 2015 and I've even had to get off the Protein Shakes because of how nauseous they made me. What I've done with the dairy is I've started to use Lactaid Fat Free Milk and it's 100% lactose free. I'm doing just fine with it. I also have a problem processing fats now, at all, because I also had my gallbladder removed, so I tend to be very picky (while not wise) as to what I can take it.

How long does your doctor have you on clears, though? Because for me it was only a week. Everything does get better once you're able to start doing purees and soft foods. Just remember to get those Proteins in !

My Dr's program is a 4 week long liquid diet (including yogurt/pudding) after surgery before moving into soft foods, and adding foods in as tolerated at one month out. There is no puree phase or anything so I have to find a solution for the next three weeks lol

I have been having a similar problem. I was sleeved on 6/20 and I have been pretty good about getting my Protein in. I have been drinking dairy milk mixed with my Protein Powder since Friday and everything was ok until Sunday. The last couple of days I have been nauseated when I drink my Protein shakes. I wasn't sure if it was the protein or the milk so now I am going to switch out the milk for almond milk and see if that helps.

Let me know how switching goes! I might need to switch from coconut to almond or rice dream, even if just for a different taste lol

If you live near a whole foods they often have single serving packets. Many people like hemp Protein. I tried Vega and wasn't fond of it either. The trick with Protein drinks is a lot of the time it's trial and error.

As for non dairy milks and yogurts, be careful. Many are low in Protein and high in fat and carbs. I believe either hemp or flax have the highest amount of protein. I haven't tried either. I drink unsweetened almond milk sparingly but I only like Almond Breeze brand. Anything by Silk taste like wallpaper paste to me.

If you live near a whole foods they often have single serving packets. Many people like hemp Protein. I tried Vega and wasn't fond of it either. The trick with Protein Drink is a lot of the time it's trial and error.

As for non dairy milks and yogurts, be careful. Many are low in Protein and high in fat and carbs. I believe either hemp or flax have the highest amount of protein. I haven't tried either. I drink unsweetened almond milk sparingly but I only like Almond Breeze brand. Anything by Silk taste like wallpaper past to me.

Sadly the nearest whole foods is 40 minutes away, but the drive would be worth it if I like the hemp protein! I like the silk vanilla coconut milk.. It tastes like PF Changs coconut cooler but without all the sugar haha. Silk original/unsweetened is not so good though! The best I've found is trader joes non dairy stuff!

I was dairy & meat intolerant for the first 6 months, i used Syntrax Nectar Protein powder which i mixed with Water. I am extremely fond of the fuzzy navel flavour - tastes like a watered down orange juice. Only thing to watch out for is when you mix it, you end up with quite a bit of froth. Its best to make it the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight for the froth to settle down.

If you are dairy intolerant or sensitive whey isolates can sometimes irritate the tummy. If you do not have dairy issues you should be fine. I prefer whey isolates over concentrates.

I have been having a similar problem. I was sleeved on 6/20 and I have been pretty good about getting my Protein in. I have been drinking dairy milk mixed with my Protein powder since Friday and everything was ok until Sunday. The last couple of days I have been nauseated when I drink my Protein shakes. I wasn't sure if it was the Protein or the milk so now I am going to switch out the milk for almond milk and see if that helps.

Let me know how switching goes! I might need to switch from coconut to almond or rice dream, even if just for a different taste lol

It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference for me unfortunately. I am still getting very nauseous when I drink my Protein Shakes, although protein in other forms don't effect me negatively at all. I am going to try switching up my Protein drinks and I hope that makes a difference since it seems as if the milk wasn't the issue. How about you? Have you had any luck getting in more protein?

I was dairy & meat intolerant for the first 6 months, i used Syntrax Nectar Protein powder which i mixed with Water. I am extremely fond of the fuzzy navel flavour - tastes like a watered down orange juice. Only thing to watch out for is when you mix it, you end up with quite a bit of froth. Its best to make it the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight for the froth to settle down.

I will definitely look into Syntrax, that sounds delicious!