Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Leakage/Clot, Liquid Diet through IV (tfa...?), Multiple Revision Attempts

Hey Guys,

So I've been having a ton of issues since my surgery 18 days ago on 6/12/2015 m, have been in and out of the ICU/ISCU and am just hoping for some support from other people who have suffered the same complications. Here's a brief overview so far:

6/12 - went in for gastric sleeve. I woke up and they took me out to walk around. Next thing I know someone says I'm bleeding into the floor. I also believe I was taken back into surgery this day.

6/13 - I was told I didn't have a leak in the way I was thinking of it (ie gastric juice in my stomach) but that there was "oozing" from the incision line. They offered surgery again and suggested they could insert drains. Additionally, I was told I had a blood clot (hematoma) at the incision line and that I was losing blood. They had to give me transfusions and it took about 4 pints of blood transfused for my level to stop dropping and then at the 5th it went up slightly. This was an indication to them that the bleeding/clot/hematoma had stopped. I was told it would take several weeks for the clot to be transformed into my body.

6/17 - I was released from the hospital, told to progress normally from week 2 of my diet, etc etc.

6/21 - I had been having some stomach pain all day and thought I just had a lot of backed up stuff that was finally coming out. I was in the bathroom for like an hour and stuff (semi-solid) stool just kept coming. After like an hour of agony, I took a small sip of the liquid hydrocodone and was going to try and take a nap. Within a few seconds of taking a sip my body warmed up and started getting itchy. I looked down and knew something was wrong as I had broken out in hives all over my body in a few minutes. Mind you I had taken this medication for several days prior. I called 911 and ended back up at my surgery hospital.

6/21 - My surgeon took my back in for surgery. I was told my stomach had ruptured again and they tried to seal it but the skin was so thin they couldn't guarantee it would stay together. They also put in 2 drains.

6/22 - They did another sip test and I'm still leaking. I'm on "NPO" which means no liquid at all ever. They put me on TFA or something which is a white liquid hooked up to an IV so I'm not ingesting any food or Water.< /p>

6/30 - They did another sip test and confirmed I'm steal leaking.

Just to cover a few other things, I didn't cheat and I don't smoke. They want to transfer me out of ICU and to a short term recovery facility. I was pushing to be able to go home and have a nurse come out but I guess there are a few medications I'm on that some of these assistance companies don't want to be responsible for administering. It may be because of the medication itself or having to come to my home very frequently. Not sure. The hospital I'm in said they would probably want to wait 4 more weeks before another swallow test so it sounds like I'm going to be stuck not home somewhere either way.

Has anyone gone through these issues with leakage? Could you share your information with how long it took to recover? How will I know when my stomach is no longer at risk of tearing? I'm super worried at this point and don't want to confuse "not currently leaking" with "not currently leading but still not strong enough to resist leaking from 1 extra sip of water."

Thanks!

post-253167-1435736177966_thumb.jpg post-253167-14357362813416_thumb.jpg

I don't have a similar story to share, but I wanted to say I'm so sorry that you are going through this right now!

Do you have a someone with you that can speak with the doctors and advocate for you? If not maybe you can ask a friend or relative to help you take in and keep track of all the medical info.

It is hard to keep track of everything they tell you when you are sick and on so many medications!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hopefully others will jump in here. I know we have many members that have overcome complications.

Hang in there! ((Hugs))

I haven't been sleeved yet but it sounds like you have really been put through the ringer! Hope they get things straightened out soon for you :(

I hope you begin to feel better soon. XOXO

Bless your heart. I hope you start healing soon. I'm so sorry you are going through so many complications. I also pray that you have someone by your side through all of this. In any event, come here to vent and get support from us.

I'm so very very sorry.

And I'm extremely heartbroken for the terrible experience you are having. Unfortunately, I'm still pre op and have nothing to offer you other than my sincere sympathy and best wishes.

I know that "complication" is a word that often is easily tossed around, like a nerf ball before surgery. We acknowledge and confirm our "understanding" of its possibility as we blithely sign and initial the endless pre op paperwork.

But the truth is we never actually believe that it will happen to us, to "me." I think it's some kind of inbred survival instinct, along with fight or flight. Or perhaps a temporary blindness. We sometimes choose not to see, and simply hope the fates will be on our side that day. I know my eyes will be firmly closed when it's my turn to be wheeled in.

I want to thank you for sharing your story, because we all need to be reminded that it can indeed happen. I only wish I could give you more. I really hope you find the answers you're looking for. I will keep you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated on your progress.

I'm hoping for your speedy recovery. Stay strong!

@@Alkalinetrio262, my heart goes out to you!!

I don't have a similar experience to share, but given that you are worried (and surely exhausted from everything you've been through), I wanted to ask whether there are other bariatric docs in your area that you might be able to consult for a second opinion. Just thought it might give you some peace of mind to have another set of professional eyes look at the issue.

Keep hanging in there -- you're your own best health advocate.

I had my surgery May 6th and had liquids and food for the first time last Monday because of a leak.

I had to have 7 surgeries and was in the hospital in my hometown in NY for 3 weeks and also the Cleveland clinic for 2 weeks. I feel so bad for you. All I can say is there is light for you. You are in my prayers....

@alkakinetrio262 how are you doing now? Sending positive thoughts your way!

@@chavezmommy thanks so much for the support to you and the other posters on this thread. Sorry I've been MIA but the last few weeks have been a whirlwind. I'm doing much better though not completely healed. I'll post a more in depth update tonight or tomorrow for anyone that's interested. Thanks again everyone!!!!

@Alkalinetrio262. How are you? I was sleeved August 4th. They told me the surgery had gone well, in record time, in fact.

Three hours later I am rushed back into surgery with dropping blood pressure (70/30) and needing blood transfusions. The second surgery took 2 1/2 hours. They called the priest to comfort my husband. Have never been given a straight answer about what went wrong or how it was remedied. Surgeon told me and my husband that he never found a reason for the drop in blood pressure and loss of blood - after a very thorough search. (I asked again today, when no longer clouded by anesthesia.)

They sent me home on August 7th on Water, Protein shakes and Jello diet.

I went in today and was told that I must stay on Water, Jello and Protein shake diet for at least 2 more weeks. I feel on edge, worried that I could leak at any time. No new leak test done; I was just told to be grateful they didn't have to do an open incision during the second surgery.

I thought leaks were rare, albeit part of the 10% of surgeries that have complications. I followed the rules too. Now I feel like they want to just hush me up and just wait and see. I want another leak test to allay my fears that I am another leak about to happen if that's what happened the first time. Was it the sleeve or the liver biopsy or the para esophageal hernia repair he decided to do during the 1st surgery?

Am I just over reacting due to surgery recovery etc? Does everyone live like this for the first few months after complications? Is this my new "normal?"

Edited by emma4884

Hey Emma4884 - I'm doing good thanks, but it's not been an easy road. After the leak issue I've also had issues with an allergic reaction to medication, my stomach rupturing a second time and an infection at my pick line site that led to a fever of almost 106. I'm also a fairly healthy and young guy at 30.

If I were you I would be grateful they're letting you eat and drink anything. After my second rupture I was not allowed to eat or drink anything by mouth for almost a week and everything was administered by an iv. The mental effect of not being allowed to take a sip of Water is pretty extreme.

As of August 12th I'm 2 months out. I never got a firm answer on what happened either. However, my surgeon has done over 4,000 procedures and this happens 2% of the time so I'm fairly confident it wasn't his fault, but who knows. I had my last ct scan and X-ray about 2 weeks ago and they said my "hole" is stable. My doctor asked me to come back in 3 weeks so I guess he wasn't too concerned. I haven't been on any type of restriction with food or work and started back this past Monday. I'm feeling a lot better albeit I still have some discomfort in my stomach but nothing I would classify as pain.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns, I'm happy to help and you definitely will get better. All holes and tears eventually heal-up, it's just a matter of time!!! Btw, I'm down 55lbs and think I would do it all over again as I know I'm finally moving towards a happy and healthier life and all of this will soon be behind me!