Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. I was sleeved on May 12 so I guess I'm about 6 weeks out. I've lost about 20 pounds so far. My family and I are on vacation on an all inclusive resort. I have not enjoyed a single meal yet. Its hard to explain but I just can't eat much at all and when i do est i dont enjoy it. But I guess that's what I paid $14000 for. Every meal the waiter comes to the table and say ohhh so you don't like your meal. I know Im rambling but will things get better? Will I eventually be able to eat a little bit more? My surgery weight was 205. I'm currently 184. I also had a band revision so my doc said he made me a little tighter. Your thoughts please?

My thought is that we've spent our entire lives focusing on food as a source of enjoyment and happiness. Although there is nothing wrong with enjoying a good meal, we now need to focus on food as a source of energy and life. If we've gotten to the point of needing this surgery, we are one of the many who just cannot have food as the center of our lives any more. It's repeated over and over in the Bariatric world. Eat to live, not live to eat! Good luck my friend.

I don't know if this could help. I have a good friend who I have had lunches and dinners with for years. She is thin. When we are out, usually with our husbands, I have observed that she just orders what she wants, not a whole meal or a special. Sometimes it is just Soup, or broccoli and some well broiled fish, no butter. When she orders salad it is without croutons and the dressing, used sparingly, on the side. She never orders a dessert but may have a bite or two from the one her husband has. I am trying to eat the same way when we are out since my surgery on 5/21. BTW she has never had a weight problem. I think thin people just do things differently from what I did.

I'm less than a week post op, but maybe I can help out with some advice. My friend, own it! Don't feel blue about not finishing your meals, don't feel bad about not being able to take it all down. The only thing that matters is that you are fueling your body with enough Protein and calories and energy to keep you healthy and happy. Dont feel bad one second about finding yourself in a place where you might have to explain yourself, and don't feel bad because it isnt so easy yet to get everything down. Own the fact that you were brave enough to change your life and that you're going to use this tool to better your future. You know your truth and either they understand and support or they don't. But i assure you from what i've read and seen in others with this surgery it WILL get better and easier to get the food down. You will feel normal soon with just a bit of food from your plate, and you won't have to feel weird for it. Take it a day at a time, as long as you're trying toward the right track then you got this. Congrats on 20lbs lost!!!

At 3.5 years out I sometimes long for the days when I had to eat like I was taking my medicine - I had to eat for good health but had no appetite.

Now, I have an appetite and eat normal, but smaller portions.