Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I met with my nutritionist today. I only needed one appoinment as I am self-pay. All I have left now is the endoscopy, a week from today.

I am hoping for an August surgery. Office will not schedule surgery until everything is complete, in this case the endoscopy. I am a self-pay because my Aetna plan does not include bariatric benefits, so the numerous appointments have nothing to do with insurance and everything to do with my very highly regarded and cautious doctor, to make sure everything is safe and normal before proceeding.

I've been 'dieting' since the age of 12 so this can't happen soon enough!

August 12, 2015 is the day for me.

August 18th here! ????

I am scheduled for August 18 in Canberra. Can't wait to get this journey started! ????

Good luck!!!

@@lealor - I am scheduled for Aug 17th I found this great book on Amazon called "The Weight Loss Surgery Coping Companion" it has great tips to help us deal with loneliness, anger, anxiety, depression, identity issues, and of course the urge to overeat. It also has a section about how to find a therapist. Luckily for me I had started going to therapy first. It was not my therapist that suggested weight loss surgery but working with her is what helped me to realize that I needed to focus on me (hence screen name). And gastric sleeve WLS is just the best way I can think of to take care of myself and my health.

Thanks Focus

Will get the book, and I am glad you are focusing on you now. What is your goal weight?

:-)

@@lealor and others re how much time to take off work:

I too have heard of folks taking a few days off work - something to consider is that IF you are still on pain medication in most cases your employer will NOT want you to return to work and in some instances you could be accused of working under the influence (yes even if you have a prescription, it does not mean that its ok to come to work whether you feel intoxicated or not).

It is my understanding that lots of folks want to be on pain meds for the first 5-7 days. Also even if only a desk job, my understanding is that the 2nd week you might be able to make it in but will still be kind of weak, and may very likely still have trouble holding down adequate fluids. That REALLY needs to be your FIRST priority. I know that you have to work to pay for the surgery in some cases, but you will have to pay a LOT more if you have to be readmitted to the hospital for dehydration or worse.

I have put in for TWO WEEKS off and told them that it is highly likely I will be able to check emails or dial into conference calls the second week (IF I AM ABLE) but that if I still need pain meds etc (or just time to deal with physical and emotional recovery from surgery) that I will NOT be working at all the second week.

It is much better to under promise and over deliver than to over promise and under deliver.

Hi, I scheduled for August 10. I'm a little worry about the whole situation. I'm suppose to be on high Protein diet, but the shakes are upsetting my stomach. Help any ideas

@@lealor - My goal and what my surgeon is writing down as my goal are two different things. My goal is to....OMG I cant believe I'm putting my actual weight on the internet...My goal is to lose 50% of my body weight (his is for me to lose 60% of my "excess" body weight). That being said, I now weigh about 279-280 and my goal weight is 140 although to be honest if I got to 150 I would be thrilled. So my goal is to lose 140 lbs.

My knee pain is quite serious and while I know that knee pain can drastically improve much of the damage is already done and so I am likely going to still need a knee replacement at some point down the road. But hopefully when I'm 66, not when I'm 46 because knee replacements ALSO will need to be replaced. My Dad is 87 on his 4th hip (yet still completely unable to walk). I do not want to go through what he is going through. I don't want to be on my 4th knee replacement in my 80s. I do not want to go through a major orthopedic surgery and 12 weeks of painful physical therapy and still not be able to walk. So I am going to try to lose as much weight as possible to put that off for as long as I can. I am also going to try to lose the most I can lose during the "honeymoon" period. And learn healthy habits to last a lifetime.

August 6 cannot get here soon enough....2 weeks from today! I start my pre op diet on July 30! I put in my request for time off with my employer as well as requesting my FMLA for that time as well. I still can't believe it's actually happening. My husband said last night, "I guess I need to learn to share my food" and I said if you ever want to eat out again you will def need to share your food! He has been so supportive throughout my many years of dieting and I know he will be just as supportive if not more once I begin this final journey of my weight loss!! Hope everyone is doing well!