Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long is the pre op diet? Bc I was told 10 days for the longest time and today my doctor was like 7 days???

How long is the pre op diet? Bc I was told 10 days for the longest time and today my doctor was like 7 days???

It varies per doctor. I didn't have a pre-op diet at all. Some people have done months, other weeks.

So you didn't have to do a liquid pre op at all? I am insanely jealous

Nope just the general no eating after 9pm the day before surgery. On the one had it's nice, because the 2 weeks full liquids post op was challenging enough. On the other hand it give folks a nice boost towards that initial weight loss.

That is true I didn't even think of that.

Everyone says that you get full and don't feel hungry is that true or just b.s.

The pre-op diet is to shrink the liver to assure a safer surgery so they can retract it without damage to get to the stomach. All doctors are different but the length of pre-op diet ties in with your BMI and how much they need it to shrink.

Some people feel hunger the day of surgery and some don't for a long time, that is also different by person. For some it is head hunger but for some it is the genuine thing. As for me, I am 6 weeks out and no hunger.

I had a full liquid pre-op diet for two weeks prior to surgery. The first two days were a challenge.... but as long as you follow it closely... by day 3, I wasn't even hungry anymore. I was having 4 Protein shakes a day and as much Water as I could muster. And a couple sugar free popsicles to have something to crunch every once in a while. I lost 26lbs in two weeks though, so it was worth it.

I took all the classes and I was told the whole time 10 days of the shakes. But then I told my doctor I was going to Las Vegas and I would only be able to do 7 days with the shakes and he said that was fine. But should I worry or is it still fine? I know he is my doctor and I trust him but it still makes we wonder.

It depends on your BMI.

My bmi is currently 45

My BMI was really high. I'm only 5'2"/5'3" and I was over 400lbs. I'm also a vegetarian do perhaps that played a part. My bloodwork was pretty good pre op. Other than encouraging me to increase my Protein, no preop diet for me. I had a really easy surgical experience.