Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice from outsiders before surgery

I am wondering if everyone gets the overwhelming advice of Don't Do It from friends before surgery. I'm one week before surgery and am so excited. But I am getting all these friends that have to tell me horror stories of people they know that had this done and it was bad. I'm grateful they are worried, but it's not like I haven't done research. I would so rather not do this and be able to lose weight the traditional way, but that's not how my body works. Who wants to subject themselves to surgery for an " easy " way out?? It's not easy by far, and I know this. I just want friends to be supportive and understanding. Not to try to scare me and try to depress me before surgery.

"Thank you for your concern" (said while interrupting their story of woe). Then change the subject. Immediately.

I think what you've said about is really one of the best ways to have a conversation, if you choose to have it.

I would simply reiterate all of it directly. If your friends are friends at all, they will respond accordingly to the energy you put out there on the topic.

Best of luck to you.

Prove em wrong lol. They may feel like they have your best interests at heart but you know yourself better then anyone. Best way is to show them in the long run. I have a friend who is an excersise physiologist and had reservations about me having the surgery. Now hes one of my workout partners now that ive shown it was the right thing for me to do lol

But on the most part I was lucky and had very supportive friends and family

Thanks all. I know they mean well, but with it being so close to surgery it's a little of a downer. I have no doubt this is what's best and I'm just so excited.

"Thanks for your concern. This surgery is a decision my doctor and I have decided is best for my health. My surgery is scheduled for (date) and I'm already pretty nervous. I'd appreciate the support and good thoughts of my friends. If you can't provide that, let's change the subject."

Agree with @@Bufflehead's statement - it's the perfect response.

You are doing this for your health because we all know that WLS is NOT the easy way out.....it takes a lot of commitment and work - before and after.

True friends will be supportive of YOU despite what they've heard about others' WLS stories before now. There is a certain amount of risk in ANY SURGERY and they should know that.

Now.....take a few deep breaths, refocus on positive thoughts, and relax.

Thank you! It's so nice to hear positive lol. Not that i don't have support, I do. My mom just turned 70 and is waiting to see how it all goes with me before she decides. My hubby and kids have been amazing, as well as most of my friends. Just so close to it all, that it just gets you thinking. But I am remaining confident and stoked. Cannot wait to find the new me!

the people who gave me the "dont do it", i didnt say anything else to them about it. i let them have their opinion. because i had more people on my side than not. and once i started to trasnform, i let that speak for itself. good luck! you will be A-OK!

You have to do what's right for you. Outside of my immediate family I told no one not even my job. Just told them I was taking two weeks vacation I had my surgery may 12. I have already lost 32 pounds and feel great. Everyone is saying how good I look. The surgery was the best thing for me. I'm going away for the 4th of July holiday and brought my first bathing suit in over 10 years. Good luck to you