Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does full feel like?

Hi Everyone,

I was sleeved 8 days ago! I am feeling awesome! Working on getting my liquid and Protein in, some days are easier than others. I'm just curious about what being full feels like to you? When I have had enough which isn't very much, I get a tight feeling kind of right under my boobs. Is that similar to anyone else?

Are you eventually able to eat and drink more? I can get about 5 spoonfuls of creamed Soup down and I am done. Just curious of others experiences! Thanks !

Full feels like if you take one more mouthful, you'll get 'the slimes' and possibly vomit. That feeling under your boobs is the gauge so keep listening to it.

Of course, as you heal and get used to the way of eating you will feel hungrier and be able to eat more but, as with me this evening, I was full on half a side chicken Caesar salad - much to the waitress' amazement!

Keep going and I hope all progresses well for you.

Great! Thanks for your reply!

Full for me is when you take just one more bite you know you shouldn't of had and you either get to deal with the discomfort of it for a while, or if you are lucky- a merciful, light on the acid-puke! Or maybe that's just being stuffed not full. Either way, it's a fine line.

I burp when it's time to stop eating. If I try to igore the burping, I'll end up hurting or having the throw up, so I learned pretty fast not to ignore. The full feeling is a sort of tightness down in my throat and it can lead to pain if I try to overeat, so again, once I burp or feel that tightness, I am finished eating. Very annoying to burp after every meal, but I'm getting used to it. My husband just says "stop eating honey" and my other family members think its funny (I can't help it sometimes so I burp and then say "excuse me!" but still).

In the early days, you're going to throw up if you don't get the signal to stop eating. There is no where for the extra food to go, so it could feel pretty uncomfortable until you throw up... but once you figure out your own signals, it gets way easier.

As far as being able to eat more - of course you will! I was told I have a 34 bougie size which was on the smaller end of things, and I'm eating around 6-ish or more ounces at this point (6 months out). In the beginning, your stomach is very inflexible and swollen - I was told to imagine it as a plastic tube - there is no give in it at all since it is still healing and tramatized. It can take months for it to start relaxing and allowing you to eat more, but it will happen... just never on the scale you were used to pre-surgery.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Thanks for the advice too. I'm 6 days post op. I'm feeling the same fullness feeling. So that's good to know. I'm trying to remember Protein first. But by the end of the day, I don't know if it's my mind or I'm really feeling hungry toward the evening hours. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks Stacey

Thanks for the advice too. I'm 6 days post op. I'm feeling the same fullness feeling. So that's good to know. I'm trying to remember Protein first. But by the end of the day, I don't know if it's my mind or I'm really feeling hungry toward the evening hours. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks Stacey

It could be acid. I had hat problem for three weeks until I spoke to my doctor about it. I took some Zantac and BAM... Hunger pangs went away! ???? in other words, I had so much acid that my body was confusing it for hunger.

I've researched the digestive process and understand now why my hunger isn't there. I'm 9 weeks out and have had to set 5 timers on my phone to remind me to eat or snack. There is a hormone called Grehlin in your stomach that secretes more as you get hungry. Once you eat it stops secreting. In a sleeve you have 80% of your stomach removed. It totally throws off the production of Grehlin. Not only is your stomach healing from the surgery (which drinking your Protein to 60-70 gms a day is important. Not just for healing but also for stabalizing your whole system.) I've read that there is a risk at 6-9 months out that you could start losing your hair (it does grow back) I also read that if you take a lot of Protein in from the beginning that your hair won't be affected. I'm hoping that's the case. I'm up to eating about 700-800 calories a day. I read labels and shoot for food low in carbs and sugar. My only vice is yogurt (which I never used to like). It has good protein and even with the "light" yogurt there are still 11 gms of sugar. I've discovered my "ate too much" button a couple of times and it wasn't pretty. It does change as you heal. I started out being able to drink 1 oz. and now i'm up to 4oz of solid food. If you are eating/drinking like they say to then your body should signal you before you get too full. The expression "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" is very true in this surgery lol.