Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling very depressed

edit

Edited by cuchas

If you have fainted, you should have been in the E R already. Since your doctor appears to be associated with Lennox Hospital in NY City, I will assume that you have a bariatric team that you can contact. If you are feelng so physically weak and emotionally hopeless so early out, I would suggest that you take advantage of their expertise.

They should have advised you that bariatric surgery can wipe you out physically and mentally and should have left you some means of reaching out to them Please be pro-active and trust in their knowledge. At eight days I was on purees and at two weeks I started soft foods such as the scrambled eggas and tuna that you mentioned.

Maybe they would at least let you start pudding or applesauce...something like that. What's done is done, and as you have aleady seen, your sleeve is working even though this part of the process is unpleasant and inconvenient. Barring complications, it just gets easier from here. The worst is already over.

The best way to avoid those complications is to get those fluids and Proteins in, and let your team know you are in distress. I hope that they can give you the boost you need to hang in there. Hugs from Miss Mac in Chicago.

@@cuchas, I totally agree with @@Miss Mac regarding the dehydration.

I'm 5 days out myself, and I can really relate to the emptiness, hunger, and (sometimes) lightheadedness.

This surgery is not for the faint of heart!!! But then again, we are not faint of heart on this website. We need to be proactive and ask for help when needed.

The thing I keep telling myself is:

• This is a process, and there are necessary stages.
  • I am reminded of a quote from the movie "Apollo 13" in which the astronauts on the mission are fighting with each other. Tom Hanks' character says: "All right, there's a thousand things that have to happen in order. We are on number eight. You're talking about number six hundred and ninety-two."
  • Similar to the film, if we focus too much on how many steps we need to take, we'll get overwhelmed in the moment and be unable to act in our own best interests.

Please follow Miss Mac's advice about calling the doctor. Above all, REST and HYDRATE! Sending gentle hugs.

How long are you supposed to be on Clear liquids? Surely you're allowed to move along in your diet phases before your July 1st consult? I am 8 days out, as well, and I was allowed to start full liquids today (adding in strained cream Soups, yogurt, pudding, plus a second Protein shake). If you don't have any information on your diet stages and when you're supposed to move to the next one, call your surgeon or nutritionist and ask--that's what they're there for!

Your hunger pangs might be acid reflux--that can often mimic the psyical feeling of hunger. Did you surgeon prescribe Prilosec or Pepcid or the like? If not, call your surgeon and ask for a prescription, or ask if you can take an over-the-counter acid reducer.

As for comparing yourself to other people on Instagram--STOP! I have to keep reminding myself of that, too. Everyone's experience is different, and each surgeon has their own requirements.

It's not uncommon to have some depression after surgery. It sounds like you are really low, though, and you might want to get in touch with a therapist. If your surgeon's practice includes a psychologist, give them a call. They might also be able to refer you to therapists who have experience working with WLS patients. I have struggled with depression for years, and I started therapy well before surgery and plan to continue throughout my weight loss, as long as it takes to get my head in a good place.

Good luck! Please update as you progress!

Oh, yes-- the other responses made me remember to mention--your fainting could be due to dehydration. How much Fluid are you getting in each day? It's super important, especially with it being hot out. You don't want to end up being readmitted to the hospital for IV fluids--it's the most common reason WLS patients end up back in the hospital. I put lots of ice in my drinks, and alternate between plain Water, herbal iced tea, and water with Mio. The variety makes it easier to get more in that way.

Hey there! Hang in there! Depression is super common, especially during the stage you are in. You've made the right decision to help you get to a healthier life!

However, it's very important to stick with what your diet plan. I understand others may be on different diets, but remember EVERYONE is different! For instance, my NUT did not allow me to eat refried Beans, those everyone on this forum has stated they were allowed to eat it. Don't let others bring you down, your doctors know what they are doing! ????

This liquid phase will pass, just like everyone else has gone through it. You will be fine! I promise! ????

I was not able to advance into diet stages either until my consults, do what your surgery team tells you to do, its for your own good. i cried a lot my first week i was miserable with emotions...its normal

as hard as it seems it does get so much better! you start to feel like yourself again in only a couple of weeks.

and you really have no choice, you have to keep doing it, but you have a ton of support here and like everyone has said REACH OUT to your dr and surgery team...