Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today is my one year post op anniversary. My new stomach is officially one year old!! It is has been one fabulous year. I started at 271 and I am at 151. I would still like to lose 10 more, but I am content with what I have lost.

Today I am reflecting on what I have gained from the new lease on life...

1. I am in the best physical shape of my life. I can walk, run, climb, and swim without ever feeling terrible or out of breath

2. I can buy clothes anywhere!! I especially like shopping for workout gear (who would have ever thought)

3. I can cross my legs

4. I can ride rides at amusement parks and have tons of room left over.

5. I can sit in booths again

6. I have discovered a love of camping and hiking. I am going to do a week on the Appalachian trail later this summer.

7. Hubby and I just purchased kayaks and I am loving it.

8. I finally feel fit enough to audition for Survivor ( one of the things on my bucket list)

9. I have gained collarbones and hip bones

10. I have gained a sense of accomplishment

11. I have gained a more adventurous outlook in life- I will try almost anything once.

12. I have gained a sense of marvel in what my body can do now and how I can keep up with everyone and sometimes surpass them.

13. I have gained a lot of saggy skin- I am learning to accept it and move on

14. I have gained a love of sugar. I was a rice and bread person pre op and now my weakness is cake and Cookies. I am learning to indulge just occasionally and move on- no guilt

15. Finally I have gained an understanding that I will always be a recovering obese person and a bariatric patient. I need to stay focused on my plan even when I am maintaining.

Sorry for the long post. Somedays I just feel that what we all have gained, far surpasses a number on the scale that we have lost. I would love to hear some things that others have gained from their WLS

Congratulations glitter eyes! Here are a couple more things for your list: 1. You have gained a better self esteem and confidence!. 2. You have gained hundreds of people on this site who like, admire and respect you (I know I do!). and 3. You now have control over what you eat.

Again, way to go! From one of your admirers!

@@glitter eyes

What a great accomplishment. Happy Surgiversary! You have done absolutely outstanding.

Thanks for sharing such a positive inspiring post with your Bariatric pal family. We are all proud of your accomplishments!

And by the way, that sitting cross legged thing really is a big deal! It makes me feel like a young kid again!

As a newbie, about to have surgery next week...this was very inspiring! Thank you so much for the post. You've done a great job and I can't wait until I'm able to share some of the same victories!

Fantastic! Congratulations

You have done well! I really relish being able to cross my legs, I find I do it often just because it feels good and I can!

Congrats! And great post. I hope to be where you are by my 1 year. But if I'm not, that's okay too :) I have gained many things also!

Wonderful post. And a great perspective. Congrats on all your NSVs. We'll hear more about your Survivor adventure, I hope. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful, inspiring post. I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass surgery on July 15th and will remember the things that you have posted on here to keep me going during my journey. Congratulations on your huge accomplishment!

Awesome!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches