Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today is my one year post op anniversary. My new stomach is officially one year old!! It is has been one fabulous year. I started at 271 and I am at 151. I would still like to lose 10 more, but I am content with what I have lost.

Today I am reflecting on what I have gained from the new lease on life...

1. I am in the best physical shape of my life. I can walk, run, climb, and swim without ever feeling terrible or out of breath

2. I can buy clothes anywhere!! I especially like shopping for workout gear (who would have ever thought)

3. I can cross my legs

4. I can ride rides at amusement parks and have tons of room left over.

5. I can sit in booths again

6. I have discovered a love of camping and hiking. I am going to do a week on the Appalachian trail later this summer.

7. Hubby and I just purchased kayaks and I am loving it.

8. I finally feel fit enough to audition for Survivor ( one of the things on my bucket list)

9. I have gained collarbones and hip bones

10. I have gained a sense of accomplishment

11. I have gained a more adventurous outlook in life- I will try almost anything once.

12. I have gained a sense of marvel in what my body can do now and how I can keep up with everyone and sometimes surpass them.

13. I have gained a lot of saggy skin- I am learning to accept it and move on

14. I have gained a love of sugar. I was a rice and bread person pre op and now my weakness is cake and Cookies. I am learning to indulge just occasionally and move on- no guilt

15. Finally I have gained an understanding that I will always be a recovering obese person and a bariatric patient. I need to stay focused on my plan even when I am maintaining.

Sorry for the long post. Somedays I just feel that what we all have gained, far surpasses a number on the scale that we have lost. I would love to hear some things that others have gained from their WLS

Congratulations glitter eyes! Here are a couple more things for your list: 1. You have gained a better self esteem and confidence!. 2. You have gained hundreds of people on this site who like, admire and respect you (I know I do!). and 3. You now have control over what you eat.

Again, way to go! From one of your admirers!

@@glitter eyes

What a great accomplishment. Happy Surgiversary! You have done absolutely outstanding.

Thanks for sharing such a positive inspiring post with your Bariatric pal family. We are all proud of your accomplishments!

And by the way, that sitting cross legged thing really is a big deal! It makes me feel like a young kid again!

As a newbie, about to have surgery next week...this was very inspiring! Thank you so much for the post. You've done a great job and I can't wait until I'm able to share some of the same victories!

Fantastic! Congratulations

You have done well! I really relish being able to cross my legs, I find I do it often just because it feels good and I can!

Congrats! And great post. I hope to be where you are by my 1 year. But if I'm not, that's okay too :) I have gained many things also!

Wonderful post. And a great perspective. Congrats on all your NSVs. We'll hear more about your Survivor adventure, I hope. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful, inspiring post. I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass surgery on July 15th and will remember the things that you have posted on here to keep me going during my journey. Congratulations on your huge accomplishment!

Awesome!