Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating After RNY....How do you People Do It?

Surgery last Tuesday. I am so nauseous I can't stand it. Dry heaving, etc. It's 5pm and so far, 8 oz of Water, and 1 oz of cream of chicken Soup. Should I worry? I have heard you have to grow into the Protein and water....is that true? Please advise.

My question is were you prescribed anything for nausea, if not ask for meds, I was prescribed zofran postop, it helped enough that I could manage well enough. I already have Migraines so eating while nauseous is normal for me. I won't say tough it out but rather ask the doc about options.

I had Zofran too. They should give you one that dissolves under your tongue. It subsides eventually. Could also be from the pain meds if you are taking any. It gets easier with the Protein and Water, but can you not do Protein shakes? That is what I survived on for the first 14 days and it counts as Fluid. For your Water, pour it in a 1 ounce medicine cup and drink 1/3rd of it every 5 minutes (set a timer on your phone). You get 1 ounce per 15 minutes / 4 ounces per hour. Promise you will feel much better when you can get more fluids in. I am 16 days out and still setting my alarm for every 5 minutes quite often during the day. I can now drink more like 8 oz per hour and have been able to do since about day 8. (By no means am I drinking 8 oz every hour, but I am managing to get in 60ish ounces now.) Good luck! You can do it! Call the on-call doc for Zofran now.

If you are dehydrated and it sounds like you are, it will make you dizzy, tired, nauseous and give you a headache.

I was on a clear liquid diet for the first 7 days post op. They did not move me to Protein until day 8. This is because hydration is actually more important in the first couple of weeks.

I do remember feeling weak near the 7th day but I was near my Fluid goal and then they added a full liquid diet which included Protein shakes, milk, creamed Soups and of course any of the Clear liquids from the previous week.

This allowed my body to get used to drinking all those fluids and I did not even have to use the of ran after day 3.

Just my two cents....

I did not move to puréed foods until week 4

The cream Soups might be too heavy at this point and may possibly aggravate the nausea try broths and tea warm things went down better for me in the beginning I felt awful for weeks as I wasn't getting enough fluids I literally had to force myself to drink drink drink I hope u feel better soon

If you are dehydrated and it sounds like you are, it will make you dizzy, tired, nauseous and give you a headache.

I was on a clear liquid diet for the first 7 days post op. They did not move me to Protein until day 8. This is because hydration is actually more important in the first couple of weeks.

I do remember feeling weak near the 7th day but I was near my Fluid goal and then they added a full liquid diet which included Protein shakes, milk, creamed Soups and of course any of the Clear Liquids from the previous week.

This allowed my body to get used to drinking all those fluids and I did not even have to use the of ran after day 3.

Just my two cents....

I did not move to puréed foods until week 4

Educate yourself thoroughly before taking a prescription medication for nausea. I was administered Fennergen and Zofran for nausea when I was still in the hospital. I relied on OTC meds at home, but the nausea has been overwhelming. My PCP prescribed Zofran.Before taking it, I read that it can cause rapid heart rate and irregularities. I even saw research indicating that it caused Atrial Fibrillation in a post- surgical patient. That's exactly what happened to me. I suppose I'll never know whether Zofran was the cause of my AFib or it was just a coincidence.

I had a lot of problems with nausea right after surgery until about 2 weeks after. I took Zofran at home, in hospital I was taking Phenergan and Zofran. I'm surprised that they let you do cream Soups so soon. I had to do clear liquids except for Protein shakes, for a bit, then at about 1.5 weeks post surgery I was allowed cream soups and sf pudding. At one month, I'm transitioning now from pureed diet to soft diet, and will be on soft diet for 3-4 weeks. Still having a terrible time getting in all Protein. I have managed one time to get in all my protein since surgery. I just barely make my liquids daily. It's just too much food and fluids.

My suggestion as most people's is call your Dr. get something for the nausea. Don't wait on that. I know my bariatric center has a 24 hour hotline, to call, anytime day or night if you aren't feeling well or need questions answered.

I'd also back off the cream Soup and try clear liquids, but none of us are Dr's. (as far as I know) You need to talk to your Dr. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Freelee,

Congrats on your surgery but, sorry to hear what a tough start it has been. I had c-diff after surgery and did feel pretty bad for about a month or so. My sister had terrible nausea right after also but, it DOES go away and get WAY easier. For about two months I really had to work at eating and drinking. At first, your new insides are so focused on getting healed, it really can be hard to get in what you should all the time. Definitely talk to your doctor and nutritionist so they can help you work through this and stay healthy. It seems like most of us turn the corner about month three. I know that's when I actually began to taste my food again and not be nervous at every bite anymore. I know this is a really crappy beginning but, just hang in! It all gets better and really exciting as the weight begins to drop and you are more able to focus on living life as a healthy person and doing more fun things. I know I am much less focused on food in general as well. This will turn out to be a great thing but, like all things great..they don't come easy! Just keep focused on your new future and all the great things to come and you'll get through this! I wish you all the best luck and speedy recovery!

I was super nauseous in the hospital, so continued to take medication (Zofran) the first two days I was home because I was afraid of the nausea. Just today (two weeks) I transitioned to cream and blended things, so maybe the cream Soup was too much for your stomach. I would try going back to Clear Liquids for a bit and see what happens. Best of luck!