Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

incorperating new foods

I have bee trying new foods and it is going well. I am 71/2 weeks out. I now can eat just about anyting I would like. I tried toasted bread last night. Boy did that taste good, 1 slice of dry toast with cheese on it. I am going to get a Wendys salad tonight. YEEHAA!

Only had a couple of things I had to give more time. But they are all better now too. Feeling good. Have not tried Pasta yet, but that is ok. Do not want to get hooked on empty carbs anyway.

Every carb has the potential to be 'bad carb' unless it comes from certain fruits and legumes.

Heavy starches such as bread and Pasta can cause weight loss to abate.

Btw, I recommend that you use Ketostix to assure your body is in state of Ketosis at all times. Many folks who post here about stalls may actually have created the stall by consuming too many carbs, even if keeping calories in check.

-RC-

I'm a littler surprised you are allowed raw vegetables and whole grains only 7.5 weeks out. I was allowed solids at 6 weeks, but told to hold off longer for both of those things. Keep in mind that Protein needs to be your #1 priority. Filling up on lettuce or bread means less room for protein.

I'm allowed raw vegetables and crackers at three months and bread at six months. I can't wait for my first salad! Two more weeks!

I'm allowed raw vegetables and crackers at three months and bread at six months. I can't wait for my first salad! Two more weeks!

I hope your sleeve handles it better than mine. I'm 9 months post-op and can't do raw vegetables at all. The cause me tremendous amounts of pain. Tried a bite of salad at lunch again today and, yep, still a no-go for me.

I can do fine with crackers, but don't eat them often, since they are a slider food and high in carbs.

I hope it does! I think it will, I've had a bite or two of raw veggies and it's been fine. I don't even like crackers that much, so it won't be a slider food for me. But I found some great low-carb, higher Protein crackers that I can eat with my tuna fish, egg salad and chicken salad. I don't like the texture of mayonnaise-based salads by itself. It'll be an easy lunch.< /p>

@@RaginCajun are we supposed to be in Ketosis? Neither my doctor or my nut said anything to me about this? I realize by keeping carbs low this is likely but I didn't know of it being necessary?

@@RaginCajun are we supposed to be in Ketosis? Neither my doctor or my nut said anything to me about this? I realize by keeping carbs low this is likely but I didn't know of it being necessary?

Different doctors have different plans and different things work for different people. I don't do empty carbs (bread, rice, Pasta, etc) for the most part, but never gave a thought to ketosis and ate fruit and other "healthy" carbs. Lost 135 in a year and am keeping it off.

I started incorporating salads at about 8 weeks. Never had a problem and they are one of my favorites! I find cooked vegetables very unappealing and much prefer them raw.

At 6 months I have been fortunate that I have never had issues with any foods. Have yet to try Pasta, but on the couple of times I've had brown rice it went down easily.

With the exception of a 1/2 a piece of toast every couple of weeks I eat very few carbs. The less I eat them, the less I want them.

I was allowed to try salads and veggies at six weeks on my doctors plan. I couldn't tolerate them till much Further out (six months or so). Still have trouble with raw carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and some others at a year and a half post op.

I was allowed to try salads and veggies at six weeks on my doctors plan. I couldn't tolerate them till much Further out (six months or so). Still have trouble with raw carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and some others at a year and a half post op.

Raw veggies are the only things my sleeve has outright rejected. It's a little sad, but with trying to get all my Protein in, I'm not sure I'd have much room for them anyway.

@@MissLiss

Sorry to have not been clear. Its not mandatory that your body be in Ketosis, but the point is that WLS post-op diet is essential a high octane version of Atkins >>> High Protein / Low Carb / Low Sugar.

So, if you check daily and your body is in Ketosis, you are in 'fat burning mode', and should be losing weight.

For me, its great to have a daily measure using the Ketostix and verify that my body is burning fat. I also use an app (LoseIT!) to track all food that I consume and can make sure my carb count and caloric intake is appropriate.

Lastly, my other point is about stalls. Some folks may experience stalls (seems to be more prevalent for females) and may not realize that while they are keeping calories in check, they may not be aware of the carb load they are eating. Or, reducing carbs further may get past the stall.

Best of luck with your journey!

-RC-

Thank you RaginCajun! I appreciate the clarification- All good points!

Does anyone know how many grams of carbs we should be consuming?

Everyone will give you a different answer, so it's best to ask your nutritionist. My NUT wouldn't give me carb or calorie goals, just a Protein goal. So I put Protein first and try to reach my goal of 100 grams a day and that doesn't leave a tone of room for carbs anyway.