Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you get past the liquid stage? Feeling hopeless

I'm only on day four of only having liquids... Water, broth, and Jello. I'm not really a big fan of the Protein Shakes so I haven't had much of those. I'm getting sick of this diet and want solid food already :blush: I'm not sure if it is actual hunger pains or something else, but I have been feeling a rumbling in my stomach. I am feeling hungry and am not sure how I will make it to the final eating stage. How did you all get through it?

The reason for the shakes is because of the full range of nutrients that you are not going to get from Water, broth, and Jello. My non-professional guess is that you are not getting any nutrient benefit and are starting to droop. The Protein drinks are no picnic in the park. They are a right of passage to the new you. Try to endure at least one or two a day. Maybe get a vanilla brand and mix it half with milk or almond milk.

First, congrats on the decision to pursue a healthier life! Know that this stage does NOT last forever and IS totally worth it to prepare your body for the coming surgery. I did things to distract myself....such as cleaning...which is not something I normally want to do! I think I was kind of "nesting" in that I wanted everything clean and neat when I came home. So even if it isn't cleaning find something to do.

I'd also recommend trying to find some form of Protein shake you can tolerate. GNC has a clearish one (kind of like Kool Aide) that isn't thick like most...maybe give that one a try. The Protein will definitely help the "real" hunger... Hang in there!

The reason for the shakes is because of the full range of nutrients that you are not going to get from Water, broth, and Jello. My non-professional guess is that you are not getting any nutrient benefit and are starting to droop. The Protein drinks are no picnic in the park. They are a right of passage to the new you. Try to endure at least one or two a day. Maybe get a vanilla brand and mix it half with milk or almond milk.

Yeah, you're right I am starting to droop. Protein would be smart. I just am not happy with the way they taste.. I think I may need to mix some milk in. Thanks for the tip!

First, congrats on the decision to pursue a healthier life! Know that this stage does NOT last forever and IS totally worth it to prepare your body for the coming surgery. I did things to distract myself....such as cleaning...which is not something I normally want to do! I think I was kind of "nesting" in that I wanted everything clean and neat when I came home. So even if it isn't cleaning find something to do.

I'd also recommend trying to find some form of Protein shake you can tolerate. GNC has a clearish one (kind of like Kool Aide) that isn't thick like most...maybe give that one a try. The Protein will definitely help the "real" hunger... Hang in there!

I already got the surgery! :) June 15th! Everyone has been telling me that the protein will help fight the head hunger.

I'm wondering can I make my own Protein Shake? Like buying the powder and then adding blueberries/strawberries - things like that?

I'm wondering can I make my own Protein shake? Like buying the powder and then adding blueberries/strawberries - things like that?

You should ask your surgeon or nutritionist about adding berries. That's usually a no-go this early post-op. However, you can definitely make your own shakes using the ingredients you are cleared to have like Protein Powder, low fat milk, greek yogurt, etc. Protein Powder comes in lots of different flavors or you can buy the unflavored kind and make your own flavors using sugar-free syrups.< /p>

Congratulations on your new journey!
I definitely agree 100% with what everyone has said on Protein.
At this stage, I wouldn't add fruit YET (that can come later). You can absolutely make your own shake though - you can add some extracts, sugar free syrups (Torani makes some wonderful ones), and you can even add things like powdered Jello or crystal light to them as well to add flavor without adding texture.

The rumbling in your tummy could be hunger, but it's more likely your new tummy working away. Our bodies are a machine, and our sleeves are the gas tank. When we eat, we're filling the tank, so to speak. When it's digesting, it can sometimes rumble and gurgle - in the beginning I really thought it was hunger, so I would try to eat and then make myself sick!

I'm wondering can I make my own Protein shake? Like buying the powder and then adding blueberries/strawberries - things like that?

Not yet! My surgeon's phase diet doesn't allow for raw fruits & veggies until after 6 weeks. Your new tummy will not tolerate raw fruits right now, especially ones with seeds like strawberries.

What Protein shakes have you tried? My favorites are Unjury's Vanilla and chocolate Splendor flavors, and Syntrax Nectar's "Sweets" flavors, especially Double-Stuffed Cookie. Syntrax offers a sample pack of their Nectars, including a bunch of fruity ones (not my thing, but lots of people like them).

My surgery was the same day as yours, and right now I'm doing 1/3 c. of a Protein Shake at a time, finishing 1 shake per day. My surgeon's PA said I could use soy or almond milk during the first week, when I'm not supposed to have dairy. I'm using unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and it's good.

Edited to add: I do have to admit that I'm also tired of Clear Liquids already, too! I am going to be so excited to have pudding and yogurt and strained Soups next week! And I'm already fantasizing about refried Beans and scrambled eggs on the soft foods phase...

Edited by lauraellen80

Unjury sells chicken Soup flavored Protein and also plain protein powder that you can mix into things you do like. You need to get that protein in.

I am also a June 15th sleever. II was told that I can have strained low fat cream Soups, which taste so much better then broth, also I am allowed pudding and thinned out mashed potatoes ( which you can add unflavored Protein powder to). Maybe at your post op appointment you can ask your Dr. if you can add anything else. It is crazy how much each of our diets vary.

I am also a June 15th sleever. II was told that I can have strained low fat cream Soups, which taste so much better then broth, also I am allowed pudding and thinned out mashed potatoes ( which you can add unflavored Protein powder to). Maybe at your post op appointment you can ask your Dr. if you can add anything else. It is crazy how much each of our diets vary.

What? No way!! I would die for some mashed potatoes :lol: My post op appointment isn't until July 1st, so unfortunately I can't ask my surgeon anything yet and am a bit embarrassed to ask over the phone. i don't want him to think I'm greedy :blush: That is so crazy you can eat pudding and mashed potatoes though. How does it feel to go down? I want to try but am a bit afraid.. I don't want to hurt myself or anything like that.

What? No way!! I would die for some mashed potatoes :lol: My post op appointment isn't until July 1st, so unfortunately I can't ask my surgeon anything yet and am a bit embarrassed to ask over the phone. i don't want him to think I'm greedy :blush: That is so crazy you can eat pudding and mashed potatoes though. How does it feel to go down? I want to try but am a bit afraid.. I don't want to hurt myself or anything like that.
The Dr. Wouldn't discharge me from the hospital until I moved to full liquids and they knew how I was going to do. The first thing I ate was my pudding. Everything has gone down fine since then and that was the day after surgery. I haven't had any issues. Tomorrow I will try and have some cream of wheat with 1 percent milk. Wow your post op is not til July. I thought they tried to schedule for the following week. Mine is next Wednesday.

@@cuchas

No berries! The little seeds can get stuck in your staples in your stomach and cause a leak.

Please don't do anything off plan without consulting your surgeon first.

I am right there with you guys, the liquid diet is for the birds! I fully understand it's purpose, I just wish it was 2 weeks long instead of 3 weeks. So ready for a scrambled egg with Cholula on it!(it's a hot sauce) I hope my sleeve can handle the sauce....

As for the Protein shakes, I am using the Premier Protein premade shakes. They come in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry and are all pretty tasty. Tomorrow, I am going to try adding some PB2 to the chocolate one and seeing how that goes. I am having a problem getting more then 1-1.5 in a day though. They are 30 grams of Protein each, so if I keep having 1.5 thats 45 grams of protein. Really wish I could choke down the other half and get 60grams. Maybe as time goes on? Anyone else having that issue of not meeting 60G protein goals in the first few weeks?

Also, LUCKY! I wish mashed potatoes were on my full liquids diet! That sounds delicious right about now.

I am right there with you guys, the liquid diet is for the birds! I fully understand it's purpose, I just wish it was 2 weeks long instead of 3 weeks. So ready for a scrambled egg with Cholula on it!(it's a hot sauce) I hope my sleeve can handle the sauce....

As for the Protein shakes, I am using the Premier Protein premade shakes. They come in Vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry and are all pretty tasty. Tomorrow, I am going to try adding some PB2 to the chocolate one and seeing how that goes. I am having a problem getting more then 1-1.5 in a day though. They are 30 grams of Protein each, so if I keep having 1.5 thats 45 grams of protein. Really wish I could choke down the other half and get 60grams. Maybe as time goes on? Anyone else having that issue of not meeting 60G protein goals in the first few weeks?

Also, LUCKY! I wish mashed potatoes were on my full liquids diet! That sounds delicious right about now.

I tried the PB2 in my premier chocolate shake the other day and it was great!