Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified I can eat to much

I am four months out and am so worried that I seem to be able to eat way more than I expected. My sister had the sleeve over a year ago and she still can hardly eat anything whereas I find that unless I make a conscious decision to stop sometimes I could just keep eating. I'm so scared that I could have already stretched my sleeve even though I don't eat like I used to and there have only been a few times when I have been in pain from eating to much (quickly learn that's not advisable lol). I have also realised that some bad habits are already showing their ugly faces again. I guess I thought that even though I would still struggle mentally with food issues I assumed that like my sister I would at least not be able to eat much. I have decided that I need to go back to basics and really concentrate on getting in my Protein and Water. I also think I have to toughen up and stop feeling sorry for myself and take responsibility for what I am eating and I have to realise that like any addict I cannot have even a bit of any thing unhealthy as that is all it takes to start me off again. I guess though I'm just really really scared that this early in the picture I don't seem to get full and seem often to be hungry. I really struggle with depression and have done so for many years and have found that this has been much worse in the last couple of months which of course being an emotional eater doesn't help. Have other people had any of these issues if so did anything in particular help. I'd really appreciate any advise or encouragement thanks.

I wonder if it maybe you need to deal with your depression and food addiction and that may help you. Have you tried to seek any sort of counseling? This is really early to be having issues. Try to make sure you are controlling your carbs and sugars. Try to focus more on dense Proteins and you will probably be able to eat less than you think.

@@lexiemia - can you tell me what you mean by dense Proteins? I have read that a few times and I get different responses from everyone.

thanks in advance -

Dense Proteins means high Protein, low carb foods -- like meat, fish, fowl. Less dense but still good protein foods are Greek yogurt, cheese, skim milk. And, of course, Protein Drinks.

Certain foods you will be able to eat much more of than others. If you are eating "slider" foods, then you will be able to eat a lot without feeling full. "Sliders" are anything that is runny/liquidy or anything that would easily dissolve in Water. A great example of a slider food is cheese puffs or cheetos. You know the way that the compress down to almost nothing as soon as you put them in your mouth? Or the ultimate example of this, I guess, would be cotton candy. Here's a list of some slider foods:

Aside from being easily digestible and passing through your stomach quickly, the thing most of those foods all have in common is that they are high in carbs.

As @@lexiemia said, you want to fill up on dense Proteins. Protein itself is going to be more filling and sustain you longer than carbs. Plus, denser foods stay in your stomach longer, instead of "sliding" right through. If you are going to eat carbs, make sure they are the denser, higher Fiber carbs. Those will take longer for your body to process and will make you feel full longer... so nuts, whole grains, etc.

I don't think of chili as a slider food at all, since the kind of chili I make has a lot of ground round in it and black Beans (great source of plant Protein and high fiber). It also fills me up and sticks to my ribs. I can't eat any more of it than the pure meat Proteins.

I don't think of chili as a slider food at all, since the kind of chili I make has a lot of ground round in it and black Beans (great source of plant Protein and high fiber). It also fills me up and sticks to my ribs. I can't eat any more of it than the pure meat Proteins.

Yeah, it really depends on the chili. If it's very thick and chunky, then it will fill you up pretty much as well as any solid food with sauce would. If it's more runny or soupy though, then the liquid will help the solids pass through your stomach more quickly, so you just have to be careful. It's basically pretty common sense about what will stay in your stomach for a while and what will just pass right through.

My nut suggested that I go and get a rotisserie chicken and sit at the table and slowly eat that chewing every single bite 30 times and I will realize that my stomach is still intact. It is not my stomach that is the problem but the food I'm choosing to eat that is not allowing me to feel full. Also that I need to keep going to my therapy to make sure I realize that I'm eating for emotional support and not cause I'm hunger. I recommend joining a group getting some support from ppl in your area who you can physically talk to. Remember it is just a smaller stomach and did not change the way you deal with food. Good luck and I hope you figure it out.

Please make sure your getting plenty of Water too each day.that helps.with the feeling fuller longer .

Dense Proteins are Protein that is heavier and will stay in your sleeve longer. Such as chicken or fish as opposed to say yogurt.

@@lexiemia - can you tell me what you mean by dense proteins? I have read that a few times and I get different responses from everyone.

thanks in advance -

I am totally in the same boat! For me I've discovered it's mostly emotional, because lets face it, when I'm determined to partake in an unhealthy/addictive behavior, it doesn't matter what my stomach feels like, I might not even notice!

I find that the "one day at a time" and "this too shall pass" mantras have really helped me.

What doesn't help me is when I think everyone else has it figured out except for me. Also sometimes I consult with a friend who's had the surgery or others online and I get some judgmental comments. You have to put all of that out of your head and focus on being positive and moving forward. Don't have a pity party of 1!!! (and I'm saying that from experience!!)

You are NOT the only one struggling, and you're going to be ok! Keep your chin up :)

I'm 3 months out and the honeymoon is over. This is hard work and very mentally challenging. We didn't get fat because we did have some sort of emotional eating issue. I try to look at every time I struggle as an opportunity to improve my eating issues. They didn't come in one day and they won't go away quickly either. You can do this. Just keep forging ahead!

I just noticed this and it's freaking me out too. On Wednesday I got a burrito bowl from Chipotle, no rice, just black Beans, chicken, cheese and guacamole. I noticed I was able to eat about 6 Oz. with no difficulty. I thought it was a fluke so I saved the rest for the next day and had it for lunch and once again I was able to eat 6 oz and I made sure to weigh it. I'm only 6 weeks out. I don't think I should be able to eat that much. How can I tell of my pouch is stretched?

@@VSG_Hopeful

It's NOT stretched and you are doing fine.

Before you had surgery would that half of burrito bowl filled you like it did on Wednesday? I doubt it.

As you get further out from surgery you will learn the lower carb, higher Protein foods that fill you and stay with you. I could do half a burrito bowl, chicken, black Beans, mild salsa and cheese at 2 months, and you know what? I can still only do half at 6 months out. You are still healing.

@@LipstickLady has stuff to say about stretching your sleeve, you should read it, it sure did set me straight.

Do a search you will find LOTS to read.

Best of the best wishes to you, LisaLou

@@VSG_Hopeful

It's NOT stretched and you are doing fine.

Before you had surgery would that half of burrito bowl filled you like it did on Wednesday? I doubt it.

As you get further out from surgery you will learn the lower carb, higher Protein foods that fill you and stay with you. I could do half a burrito bowl, chicken, black Beans, mild salsa and cheese at 2 months, and you know what? I can still only do half at 6 months out. You are still healing.

@@LipstickLady has stuff to say about stretching your sleeve, you should read it, it sure did set me straight.

Do a search you will find LOTS to read.

Best of the best wishes to you, LisaLou

@@Lisalou, you are absolutely correct, before surgery I could have eaten the whole bowl with rice added in one sitting. Thank you for the advice. I will check out LipstickLady. I'm always afraid that I'm doing this wrong and I'm going to damage my pouch.