Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much do you eat?

Oh my goodness! I am eating lots more than everyone else on this thread! In my defense, I have a very loose fill, but even before my loose fill, I was eating about a cup of food at a meal.

Now I eat between 1-1.5 cups at a meal, but never less than a cup. Right now I only have 1cc in a 4cc band.

Despite my loose fill, I have been losing on this amount. I strictly count calories and stay between 1,000-1,300 per day.

1 cup is what we were told in our pre-surgery classes.

I don't think that a cup to 1 1/2 cups is too much personally! I am going for my 3rd fill and I can eat just about anything ,,,including bread! ;) I figure it will work at some point where I am not hungry but for now,,,1 cup or so is ok! I am losing too so if you are losing then that is what matters~

Thank you all- this thread is very helpful- I have had one fill and I'm not certain if I need a 2nd one- I have restriction- I can eat a cup - 1.5 cups at meals and stay pretty satisfied until the next meal unless my head convinces me that I need a snack. I guess as long as you are losing and not suffering between meals- you're in the right place?

<p>Celeste,</p> <p> </p> <p>I find your post extremely helpful and informative! Knowing that although it took you months and months, you kept losing and kept it off! That is what I needed to hear! I also am grateful to hear about the 1000 a day and the exercise pattern! I don't think I could walk like you have but I will continue to increase my walking as I lose (I have really bad heals that cause me alot of pain) For now 3 miles is it everyother day so that my feet can rest! I starting walking one mile 10 weeks ago so that is a great improvement! I guess I have lost rather quickly ( in the beginning) but it has slowed down quite honestly and that is why I needed to ask someone at my weight level who has achieved ":MY goal" weight so to speak! Your life sounds very interesting,,thank you for sharing.</p> <p> </p> <p>Susan</p> <p>217/187/145</p>

I was banded on 1o/2006. Till my first filling I lost 16 pounds. I had 4 more filling (7.5 ccl), but I don't loose any weight more. I regain my "lost" weight. I also have trouble with my heals and can't walk easy. Im desperate, don't know, what to do (/eat...) to begin loosing wate again.

Best wishes, Varja

Varja,

I am so sorry this journey has been so difficult for you! Reevaluate your eating,,,,do you eat to little? Do you eat to much? Do you drink liquids while you eat or right after? Do you choose health food? Are you getting enough Protein? Those kinds of things can make a big difference! If you can't walk then move around a lot! Even sitting and pushing arms in and out helps or moving legs like a bicycle around and around without standing on your feet! Did they do a flouro on you to see if the fill is staying in the band? Is it positioned right? I would really be talking long and hard to your Dr.

Good luck

Susan

Dear Susan, thank you very very much for your message. It will help me a lot, i think. I have difficulties to get specified answers from my doctor, alas.He ist the type God in white kitttel. With best wishes, Varja:omg::think

Hi, I was banded 5/14/07. I have not had any fills. I have lost about 30 lbs. and I'm feeling great and exercising. Until last week, I had been doing well staying under 1200 calories. BUT, I have been often eating too quickly, and even if I eat slowly, I really can't tell if I'm full. During this past holiday week, I have been definitely overeating (beyond 1.5 cups) and at times drinking with meals. I never get anything stuck nor do I have any discomfort. Today I'm feeling bloated and some pressure, although my portions have been very small today.

Any advice/info would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Lisa

Hello I just had my 2nd adjustemnt on June 23rd, and It ws really hard for me

While I had my 1st adjustment, I measure up my portion sizes prety well, making sure I had meals with enough Protein on it and less fat, I even had (everyday) a small bar of chocolate (i crave for chocolate like creazy) .

But right after this adjustement I just can't seem to get my portion sizes. Last week (it was my birthday) I took a big size of chicken and it just got stock in my stomach, I had to force it out, and that irritated my stomach to the point that I had to be on a liquid diet for 2 days before I could start eating solids again.

Basicly right now I eat for Breakfast 1/2 glass of Protein shake, I cant tolerate solids in the morning, for lunch/dinner 2 spoons of meat (chicken or fish) and a spoon of rice, I can take 1/2 of Soup before, but thats about it.

Saludos ... Malu

This is my PERSONAL opinion only, docs don't necessarily agree with me so I have to tell you that up front.

I disagree with trying to limit someone's food before they have adequate restriction. I mean, if we could do that we wouldn't need a band. My own personal opinion is to use the time between surgery and appropriate restriction to work on bite size, chewing, no liquids w/meals, and good food choices. But I personally don't encourage anyone to hyperfocus on caloric intake during that time.

There are lots of things to learn and get used to and it only makes sense to me to take it in steps. If we try to change everything overnight and limit calories, many end up failing. I'd prefer to see mini successes vs. mega failures. But that's me, and again many docs disagree with me.

Now, once you have some restriction that's a whole 'nother ball game.

Thank you for saying that. That is one of my worries about the pre-op and post-op diet. If I could do that with sheer willpower (or whatever you call it) alone, then I could lose weight without paying 16K. That is what I am struggling to understand. If I am not restricted prior to the first fill, what is to stop me from being unsuccessful, as I have on almost every diet I have tried for more than a month..... I don't know what the answer is, but I keep looking for it!

In the mornings maybe 1/4 cup

By midafternoon closer to 1/2 cup

By dinner 3/4 - 1 cup

It also depends what the food is. Soup is just about unlimited, but the chunkier and more texture the food has the less I can eat.

I have about 2.5 cc in a 4cc band and can eat just about anything, but fill up very quickly so I think I'm at the perfect spot for me.

:):help:Hello All:

I am a newbie and my surgery is scheduled on Aug 1.. I am a little scarred and excited.. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Have you all had trouble adjusting to having no caffeine?

Do you have any helpful info on preparing for the surgery?

Anyone out there wish they had not had their's done?

Any helpful info would be appreciated....

Ky girl:straight

Kero, I dont know about you but I always *could* do six or eight weeks of successful dieting/calorie counting and lose a little. It was after that that I failed.

But I found that I had superb restriction without a fill for about eight weeks after surgery, I lost tons and tons of weight in that time. I was very lucky, you cant predict that but it does happen that way for many people. And if it doesnt, you're right, your weight loss starts when you get some restriction.