Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week follow up appointment-feeling low

I just had my 2 week follow up appointment with the surgeon. I've lost 10 lbs since my surgery. He seemed not quite please with that weight loss. I have been eating more than the 1/4 cup modified liquid per meal that is recommended. I've been eating 1/2 cup or slightly more (5 ozs) per meal. And the occasional snack.

The surgeon says that if I am stretching the rules now, I will continue to do so and probably head towards failing overall. He didn't say it so bluntly, but I understood what he meant.

I'm shocked and depressed that I am failing so soon after my surgery. Anyone else been in my shoes? How did you turn it around?

MsTodd

Wow, I'm surprised. At one week post op I lost 8#s... And one month, I lost another 10, grand total of 18 in month one. At each appt my doc was happy with my progress, supportive. That totally changed my attitude of beating myself up for not dropping big #'s like I've heard about. Doc's need to realize the impact thier words have on us!!

I don't measure consistently, my NUT isn't too concerned about it either. As long as I'm getting my protein/vitamins..., and eliminating sugar and fried foods they are good.

Sounds like he is judging you by others failures!

Speaking for myself I only lost 15 lbs in the two weeks after, but was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks after as well.

slow and steady wins the race, you admit to eating more than you should? are you not feeling sick after? I know its a big mental game for me sometimes ...

@@MsTodd I'm sorry to hear that you're having a tough time with your surgeon. I can't say that I have been in your shoes, but let's start at the heart of the issue, your food intake. Are you monitoring everything through a food tracker like My Fitness Pal? If not, I would extremely suggest you do so. Lay out your schedule for what you're going to eat throughout the day and don't deviate from it. Measure your portions out in small containers and never eat outside of a bigger dish. You have to remember that your sleeve is just a tool and unless you use it the right way, the results will not be as good as you would have hoped. What is your calorie intake each day on average? What is the ratio of Protein:Carbs:Fat? These are essential to monitoring if you are going to turn it around.

What about your activity level? Are you walking 30 continual minutes each day at least once per day? I don't mean to pry and ask too many questions, but let's examine the facts and by process of elimination you can find the problem areas that need to be worked on. You don't have to improve on all areas overnight, I know how hard that can be, but take it one day at a time. Find yourself a goal and achieve it, even if it's a small goal. That way you can build upon that small goal and soon you'll find yourself in a good behavior pattern. I wish you the best!

@@Dysruption thank you for the reality check-I realize it's what I need. I will start tracking my food. I do have a My Fitness Pal account-I will start using it. My activity level has been inconsistent so I will make that change too. 30 continual minutes a day or more.

Time to get serious and stop the 'recovery' stage.

Thanks everyone!

I just had my 2 week follow up appointment with the surgeon. I've lost 10 lbs since my surgery. He seemed not quite please with that weight loss. I have been eating more than the 1/4 cup modified liquid per meal that is recommended. I've been eating 1/2 cup or slightly more (5 ozs) per meal. And the occasional snack.

The surgeon says that if I am stretching the rules now, I will continue to do so and probably head towards failing overall. He didn't say it so bluntly, but I understood what he meant.

I'm shocked and depressed that I am failing so soon after my surgery. Anyone else been in my shoes? How did you turn it around?

MsTodd

So, first of all, 10 lbs in two weeks isn't that shabby, that's 5 lbs/wk, 20 lbs/month etc. I kind of get your surgeon's concern, if you're breaking the rules this soon, then what about 6 months from now. But, you are still recovering from surgery, there's internal swelling and the effects from surgery, so he's jumping the gun and should be more encouraging as you begin this transition. So, objectively, has he been supportive, neutral, or critical? Surround yourself with a healthy and considerate support system and BP is a good start. Just don't forget, this isn't a magic pill, it's going to be hard work, its going to take all the determination you've got and you'll have to learn to live a healthy new lifestyle. The sleeve is all yours now, learn to use it, it can be your best friend or your worst enemy, get to know one another and learn to listen to it and you'll be in a much better place a year from now.

I just had my surgery on 6/12 and went to the dr on 6/17 and lost 5 lbs. I was told by the nut to start puréed foods for the next 4 weeks. My food in take at each meal can't exceed 2-4 tablespoons. I've seen different nut allow different things at this stage or time frames but maybe try and cut each meal just a little.

It's a slow process but you will find what works best for u. A log will really help in your journey. Best of luck!

Edited by m.spod

Don't pay attention to the scales. Weigh your self once a week and thats it. If you keep weighing on the scale it will drive you insane.

I had a problem shortly after my surgery, like 3 months out of eating all the time, (grazing) just small bites here and there. I had to stop eating and restrict my intake. I also joined a gym and go everyday now. My Surgery was in October. I knew I would not lose weight instantly and I knew that the sleeve was only a tool and I had to pitch in and do my part... I also got scared to death knowing that it wasn't reversible and then I had to just come to terms with it and realize I did the right thing.

If I don't go to the gym, I feel horrible. It's a lifestyle change for sure. You'll get there, don't give up.