Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everybody!

It's only been 9 days since I was banded and I'm so down. What's wrong with me? I've only lost 3 lbs. and find that I am feeling so sorry for myself because I can't have this or that and wondering if I will ever get to really enjoy food again. I feel like it's not fair because someone can eat something and I can't. I'm kind of regretting that I did this, is this crazy? I don't want to remove the band, but I'm so sad about something, just can't put my finger on it. Has anyone else felt like this in the beginning?

Every single time I eat, (mushies right now) I hurt so much in my upper left side, right behind my left breast. It's not just a small amount of pain, it's a lot. This is the only bad pain that I've experienced, (the gas, even from the beginning). I can't handle this pain everytime that I eat, will it stop? Or do some of you continue to hurt even after being banded for a while?

It should stop. I know it took me a while to get used to everything as well. You won't regret this all later on though when your on normal foods. Trust me, everything will get back to normal and you will be able to eat "real" food. The first several weeks aren't for weight loss but for healing. You will get hungrier before your first fill and may even gain a few pounds back. Don't worry, that is all normal!!! Good luck and best wishes, Teresa

Everything Teresa has said is true. The pain will subside, however, on occasion, I get that nagging pain if I am getting to a 'full' point during eating. Most often, I get the one big hiccup, sudden bout of coughing or runny nose before I get pain.

Also, there is a certain amount of 'depression' that you will go through shortly after surgery. You've been on this high thinking about, researching, preparing for this surgery and now it's come and gone. Also, there is the anesthesia and just general 'post op' blues, so don't worry. Things will get much better. True, it's tough to watch others eat things you can't, but this too will pass and remember the reason for this period is to allow your band to anchor itself in scar tissue. Eating solids and causing the stomach to grind and churn will not allow this to happen as it should and could contribute to slippage later. Going forward, part of this journey will be to occupy your hands and your mind with other things besides eating. You've heard it said this isn't just about eating, it's about emotions and learning to deal with them without using food. Now is the time to try to begin finding other things to do during these times. One thing is for certain. You are not in this alone. We have all gone through this stage. You can do it and believe me, when you start packing up those bigger clothes and trading them in for smaller ones. You will be more than happy that you made your way through this period. :)

There's my pep talk for the night. :eek: Good luck to you and hugs, simply because I've been there too.

G'nite..

Leatha

You've gotten some wonderful advice above. Have you been following your surgeon's instructions since your banding? Eating the right kinds of foods and allowing yourself to heal BEFORE running real foods through? Try to keep busy with non-food related things. Best of luck to you!

I remember feeling the same way and coming here to post... guess what... the wonderful people at this forum gave me great information and advice just as they are doing for you! Hang in there... the blues will go away and and the pain will too as your body adjusts. There is no "window of opportunity" for losing the weight with the Lap Band... it is there to help you lose weight over the long haul.

(((hugs)))

Darcy

gagirl,

What you're going through (emotionally) is totally normal. I still have some "blues" times.

One of my favorite foods is pizza. We have this wonderful pizza joint that we would order out about once a week (pre-band) absolutely the best pizza in the world! Well, I remember reading on this board by a poster who said she could only eat the toppings off of one piece of pizza. I was about a month and a half post band and I told her that would be my dream to only eat the toppings off of one slice and be satisfied. After my first fill, I could easily put away 2 large slices. After my second fill my "dream" came true and I can only eat the toppings off of one piece (if that). I can't eat the crust anymore. A couple weeks ago, we had pizza at work, I ate the toppings off of one slice and paid for it! It kept coming back up all afternoon (sorry, gross I know), but my desire for pizza has totally changed. Believe it or not, I'm kind of bummed about that! :) I realize every single day that the emotional side of weight loss surgery and the adjustments that have to be made in your daily routine is the hardest thing to overcome. Isn't it funny how something like pizza can have that kind of emotional affect on me?

If I go to a restaurant, nothing looks better than the big huge bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms and bacon, and throw in some fries, but there is NO way I would even attempt to eat that now. I look for a chicken or veggie dinner or something I know that I will be able to tolerate without discomfort.

Changing the way I eat has taken a 180. I know that you will hear over and over, "Chew, chew chew, and don't take big bites". Well that is soooooo very true. Again, before my second fill, I thought "Chew? no biggie, my habit of chewing and eating too fast and too much was still with me and didn't affect me when I ate, but after my second fill, LOOK OUT! I cut up my food before I start to eat, I make sure that every piece is cut very small. I also try to use a small spoon or fork. These are little things that help me.

Right now, you're still in the healing phase. The discomfort that you're feeling is probably due to the fact that you're insides are still healing from surgery. If the pain bothers you too much, I would call Dr. Rodriguez to make sure that everything is ok. I would also try to take some liquid tylenol about an hour before you eat to see if that helps at all. The main thing to remember is take everything very slowly. Even when eating mashed potatoes or mushy things. Give your body some more time to heal. I truly believe that all of the discomfort that you are feeling will disappear with time.

Two very valuable things that I have learned since being banded are

1. Don't compare yourself or your weight loss to others, we are so very different and everyone's bodies react differently to different things.

2. Be patient.

After a month post band, I had only lost 10 pounds. I was bummed because a lot of other bandsters would post about losing 30 pounds in their first month ect... I thought to myself that I was failing. So I got a fill. Another month goes by and I lost another 10 pounds. I was still disappointed that I had only lost 20 pounds in two months. When I went in for my second fill, Dr. Houston said that I was right on track and losing at a very healthy rate. Since my second fill I've lost another 15 pounds (in less than a month). I'm thrilled! I'm 3 month's post op and I've lost 35 pounds. I could NEVER have done that without the band. So yes, I still go through some blues, but it's all worth it for me. Having people say "You've lost weight haven't you?" is a wonderful thing to hear. One of these days maybe I'll hear "Tricia, you've lost weight!" without puting the question mark in :eek:

I'm sorry to have gotten so wordy, all I can say is hang in there. It won't all be a rosey road to travel, but was being overweight a rosey road to travel? Yes you enjoyed the food, but were you truly happy? I tell myself this all the time. The band isn't a miracle drug, it does take some effort, and yes at times, it takes pain, but it will all be worth it.

Darcy, I see that you were re-filled. I sure hope this time goes better for you. Please keep us updated.

Tricia

thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone so much for all the advice and support. I really needed to come here this am and read all this, it has helped soooooo much. I knew I could count on all of you and hoped someone had felt the same way as I do.(so sorry that you did, but glad too, cause you have inspired me!)

Yes Marie, I'm following Dr. Rodriguez's advice. One time I ate one small bite of something I shouldn't of , but Tricia got me back on the right track. It is hard and very much a challenge, but I think I'll be able to do. You all did, so I think I can, especially if I come here and hang out with all of you.

I keep saying to myself only 2 more weeks and the real foods start back, but then I tell myself that I can't do it. Of course I know I have to, but I just get so discouraged and feel like a big failure. And then that little voice inside me tells me that this is no different from all the other stuff that I've tried and i'm just going to fail again. This past summer a friend of mine tried to get me to join WW's with her, I told her no, because I would just fail. And now I'm fearful that this will be the same.

Oh my gosh, I wish y'all were right here with me. I really need y'all here holding my hand!!!! :)

Again thanks and thanks for all of the ....

)))))))HUGS(((((((

I really needed them! And )))))Hugs(((((( to all of you

gagirl

Gagirl

Dont be discouraged about the weight loss...the pre fill stage is for healing, any weight loss during this phase is a bonus. Once the band is filled you will notice a difference. As far as the sadness, I have never known anyone NOT to experince some kind of sadness after this surgery. It is normal..its gets better each day. Coming here to all of these wonderful people has been a key to my success . The support has helped me tremendously. Hang in there...

Sounds like the Christmas effect. You wait all month for Santa to come, when it's over, you're in limbo, so to speak. Hang in there, look at all the people on here who have had great success- one day, you'll be just like them, and sharing your wisdom and advice. :)

I still get sad or angry once in a while because I can't eat something I want to eat. It's natural. It is rare, though, now that I am through the healing stage and getting more used to it. The happiness at losing and eating better is much stronger.

When it hurts, stop eating. I know it's hard, but do it anyway. If it is uncomfortable every time you eat mushies, go back to liquids. I have ignored irritation and discomfort and eventually, I had to go back to liquids. Be careful with yourself. You WILL get to eating normally soon. Be gentle with yourself about losing until you are fully healed and nicely restricted.

Everything you are feeling is normal. It may not feel good right now, but it will be all right soon. Hang in there.

Ahh, tears, You all are great!! I really needed this!! Thanks again.

I have done some better today. Just keep me in your prayers!!

gagirl,

I am about 34 days Post-op and have lost 10 pounds. I am very discouraged and keep thinking "what am I doing wrong here" I too see that everyone seems to be losing more in the first month than I have so it is hard to see the light ahead for me too. I am hoping that after my first fill next week I will start to see some significant changes. But for right now, I can eat way more than what is recommended. Not nearly as much as before the band, but still not 1/2 cup of food! We are Georgia twins! I feel the same way but I try to hang on to all of the post here from the ladies that have done it before us and see what they went through and know that it will get better.

------ Question for the ladies who have gone before us:

Since the recommended serving is 1/2 cup for the new small pouch, what happens if

I eat more than that? Will the pouch strecth out? Will the band slip? Ok, for instance, the other day I ate a slice of pizza and a small salad. Is that WAY too much for my new pouch? Would that damage anything? That is my biggest worry/fear right now.

Thanks!

If I post a picture of my butt, will you cheer up? Listen, Ms. Georgia, food has been my best friend my entire life, so yes, yes, yes, it is aggravating, depressing, and frustrating saying goodbye. I'm having a hard time letting go of my old friend. It's hard as hell to say goodbye, but we have no choice. We got the band to help us say goodbye, and if I can do it, anybody can do it. I've lost 60 pounds, but I have 100 more to lose. I'm afraid I won't lose any more either. I'm afraid I'm stretching my pouch every day. I don't know what the future holds, all I know is that today I'm wearing smaller clothes that are baggy on me because food is not my friend. It's the enemy. How does that saying go???? Look away from your friends but keep a tight watch over your enemy? Grrrr, kick it's ass, girl!

By the way, you're normal.

I know your feeling, I was banded on the 21st of October. I want to eat. However I am doing my VERY best to follow my docs instructions. The feeling on the left side is that you are full. Do not take too much food at one time as you will eat it. we have programed ourselves to finish our plate. You should not be able to eat more then 2 oz at this point. I am still on full liquids - yogurt, broth, jellom pudding, Carnation Instant Breakfast, Protein shakes. I cannot go to mushies until 2 weeks out. Also be careful that you are not eating too much as you will stretch out your pouch. Take your time and let your self heal. Leatha reminded me of this,,,,, you need to heal.

Also drink a lot of Water, that has helped with my lose. It is starting to slow down as I am eating a little bit more creamy Soup.

It is so hard to not eat when you are around others that are eating. My mother made popcorn about 4 nights after I was home, she was taking care of me, I thought that I was going to jump her for it. It was not fair, I wanted it!! But then again my mother walks 4 miles a day and looks great. I choose this and damn if I am not going to make it work.

Just know you are not a lone as I think we all have felt what you are feeling.

Good Luck

DeLarla..........You are too funny!!! I am still laughing at that post!! Thanks for making us ALL feel better about this struggle and being new at this!