Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you using for birth control

What are you ladies using for birth control? My doctor wants me to use Mirena but I am unsure.

I have Mirena but I already had it in place before I had my sleeve. There is an adjustment period that took my body about six months of whacky pain and random periods until they finally stopped altogether. My doctor suggested it since I have PCOS and suspected endometriosis. I really love my IUD. The first six months were horrible but once my body got used to it it's been great. When I got sleeved I started to have periods again but they are the lightest of light. Sometimes I don't even have any blood.

Edited by krisrpaz

I use depo and I have for the past 12 years or so. I like it because I have to remember it once every 3 months, it completely eliminates a time of the month, and knock on wood, it is supposed to be very effective. The downsides are that people say it makes them gain weight, which is inaccurate because you only gain weight if you eat more. If anything it causes more hunger, although I have personally been on it when I was fat and when I was thin and I don't notice a different. It can also be difficult to get off of depo because you end up with irregular cycles for awhile. Getting pregnant afterward can also take up to a year. I like it because I never have a period, which is SO fantastic.

I have PCOS and need something since I getting pregnant would not be good for weight loss right now. I am 37 and plan to try to have another as soon as I get stable at my goal weight.

I was on depo for 15 years and switched to merena post sleeve.

My doctors were trying to see if it would help my Migraines.

I spot very little each month after never having a period for so many years. I hope when it's time to replace it I might be in menopause and be done with all birth control.

I had no real issue with either one being difficult.

The migraines are what they are and I take a daily mediCation for them and immitrex when I feel one coming on.

I use Nuva Ring. I'd like an IUD, but in the past they've said that they're for people who have already been pregnant because of the size of the uterus or something. However, lately they seem to be backing off on that and have said that they can do it. I'm still thinking about it.

I had Mirena IUD for a year after my son was born in 2011- I had it removed because I hated it-- I am currently just tracking, but I haven't had sex with my husband in a while-- 6 months? Maybe--

I plan to use the Nuvaring after surgery to make sure I don't get pregnant. I don't really like hormones but will use them to keep from getting pregnant at least year after surgery! I want time to get to goal and heal before trying to have baby #2!

While I haven't had my surgery yet, I've had a Mirena IUD since 2011 and love it. Occasional cramping signals what would be that time of the month, but less than half a dozen incidents of spotting in 4 years. Honestly a period free lifestyle has been wonderful! Plus having conceived on the pill twice, it was time to switch to something else. I was on the pill for roughly 12 years, and honestly wish that I had considered the IUD sooner.

I'm also trying to decide what would be best for me post surgery - we want to get pregnant ASAP once my year is up. I'm deciding between the Nuva Ring and the IUD.

I'm also trying to decide what would be best for me post surgery - we want to get pregnant ASAP once my year is up. I'm deciding between the Nuva Ring and the IUD.

Does your insurance cover both? Mine only covered the insertion for the IUD, not the IUD itself. It cost $900 out of pocket. I wouldn't have picked it if I planned on getting pregnant in a year because of the cost and it also took my body 6 months before it finally accepted the IUD.

Does your insurance cover both? Mine only covered the insertion for the IUD, not the IUD itself. It cost $900 out of pocket. I wouldn't have picked it if I planned on getting pregnant in a year because of the cost and it also took my body 6 months before it finally accepted the IUD.

I'm pretty certain it is covered by the ACA.

I have the Mirena and love it. I had zero issues. I'm actually getting it replaced next week, as it's been 7 years. My ob/gyn told me she doesn't recommend the pill for women over 200 lbs, and I hated taking a pill every day anyway.