Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello friends! I am a 61 year young, white haired ol' lady who's still got "it" even tho I am 5'0" at 202 lb and have Fibromyalgia (FM), Diabetes 2 (mild) , sleep apnea and a host of GI issues. I love life and am tired of being held back by what I cannot do due to weight or the FM or other health issues. I decided to get Bariatric Surgery when I got that diagnosis of Diabetes 2. That was the final nail in the coffin! It's in my family and I've had relatives die from complications from it. I'm too young for this!!! When my Rheumatologist -who has seen me struggle with weight loss issues for over 10 years now (I was "normal weight" till menopause when I gained over 65 lb!) - suggested weight loss surgery I went for it. Researched it and called the local Bay Area Surgical Speciaists. This was back in March 2015. Dr Moy was good but his staff, esp., the coordinator, Gina, were snotty, disdainful, wouldn't answer or return calls nor offer any communication whatsoever, etc so I decided, with support from here and my "live" monthly support group, to change facilities. Am I glad I did! Dr Diane Kwan is amazing! She originally wanted to do Robotic (DaVinci) surgery on me with the Gastric Sleeve, wouldve been the 1st for this county and hospital with Bariatric robotics, but its too complicated with having to do the Gastric Rouen Y Bypass so that my GERD issues dont exacerbate. Oh well. Doesn't matter.

Now I have only one more weigh in to go on July 6th and I'm done with preliminary hoops to jump (did the psych eval, nutritionist, etc). Then it's on to Pre-OP like EKG, bloodwork and permission from my PCP. I have Medicare insurance primary cuz of my disability and United Health Care as secondary. But UHXC only pays what they wouldve paid ordinarily w/o Medicare, no more. Medicare does NOT pre authorize BUT wants 4 weigh ins to be done monthly before surgery or they wont pay for it. Bureacracy!!! UHC doesnt care.

FINALLY! I just got my date - its July 23rd, which fits perfectly into my family's schedule of vacations and other commitments. I have about 80 lb to drop to get to my regular weight of 125-135 lb goal - which is what I was pre-menopause. Here's hoping!

Also Dr Kwan will fix my hiatal hernia and bypass the bile duct from going into the stomach where its excessive bile is hurting me now, to the small intestine instead, while she has me under. I asked for the 60,000 mile special but she wont do the boob lift and so on at the same time, too. DARN!

So here I go!!!! Only good healthy foods (I loved sweets and coffee, but that's in the past now) from here on in. Wish me luck! I'll update in a month when I go under and start the real hard part. BUT it's the fun part too - getting rid of this BELLY and buying new clothes NOT in Plus size either!

Also, I intend to donate my old but gently used bras to a great organization called THE BRA RECYCLER ,LLC found on www.brarecycling.com. They take new/gently used/clean bras and donate them to shelters, etc across the world for women and young women to wear who couldnt get them otherwise! PASS THIS ON and please consider doing this yourself as you go thru bras on YOUR journey! THX for reading my journey thus far HUGS ;-) Marlene

I started a SECRET Facebook Group (closed, nobody can see you are there) For July 2015 people only. I hope this can expand as a individualized community so we can help each other out through the same stages of this journey. I hope you can join. (1) The only way to join is to send email invites, not a link. You will need to private-message me your email address, the one linked to your FaceBook profile. An email invitation for the FaceBook group will be sent to you.

I hope you are doing well, and hope to see you soon!

Congrats on getting your date! I'm so excited for you! And thanks for the info on bra donation. When I get to that point I'm going to check into it.