Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Incontinent. Will I be AFTER the RNY? Right after surgery?

Hi. I'm in for RNY on 6/17.

My question is, I have night time incontinence. You're supposed to drink at least 64 fl oz's a day. Since right after surgery and during my 2 1/2 day stay, I'll be drinking 1 fl oz at a time, will there be enough pee to even be incontinent?

I wear special pads during sleep, should I bring one or two to the hospital?

I use the Foley for some time, but not the whole time.

I'm really unsure about this. Forgot to ask my Dr.

I haven't had the surgery yet BUT, I wouldn't worry about it. I believe you will have a urine catheter in place for first day or two. You will be fine however if I am wrong, still don't worry!!! If your incontinent, they will clean you up. I had an endoscopy once and had an incontinence episode. I was slightly embarrassed but, they assured me, that it was nothing, they see worse, and its not a big deal.....it happens!

I experienced urge incontinence and after my RNY I have not had any problems, though this is a bit different than night time incontinence. you should ask your surgeon for advice.

I am five days post op and I too have incontinence. I was told I would not need the supplies at the hospital and I did not. The day of surgery I didn't urinate hardly at all, day 2 of being in the hospital and nonstop drinking, eating ice, and popcicles, I knew in advance when I needed to go and would not have any issues. at night the hospital I stayed in had me up every couple of hours for health stats and shots, I slept with no problem and also sat up and walked every 2 hours with no issues. I am hoping that the weight loss wiill fix all of my issues I had.

Everything will change. Hang in there. Good luck.

I have this same question. Haven't had surgery yet and will not for probably 6mo+. But I have ongoing issues of nighttime urine loss -- and I too use disposables to manage it. Didn't have the courage to ask my surgeon yet about how I should plan to deal with it in the hospital. I'll build it up eventually.

Curious though to hear the experiences of others.

Hi. I came back from my RNY two days ago. I did not use a pad for urine the first night. While staff was helping me out the next day, one of them turned to walk away and caught my catheter tubing in her feet and she yanked it right out! So, I used a pad that night, but since I drank so little, I pee'd little. However I needed a pad to go home with. And now, I get little notice when I gotta go and when I'm barely ready to sit on the toilet, it starts before me. So, that's my pad experience so far.

Wow holy cow that must've hurt!!!

Glad to hear you're doing well and on the mend.

Did you talk to the doc or nurses about your condition before going in for surgery?

I spoke with my surgeon about incontinence at the hospital because I was worried about leaking when getting in and out of bed. She doesn't use catheters. She made a note for the nurses to help me into underwear and a pad directly after surgery to avoid any issues. She acted like this was a pretty normal issue. It just makes me feel more relaxed to know this won't be an issue.

I talked with a nurse friend about it and kind of like you've indicated -- she said it is really not an issue. And because people will be coming into the room constantly for vitals/meds/etc - getting woken up is the norm in the hospital. I really only have an issue overnight if I sleep for a long time and sleep really heavy. Seems like that's doubtful in a hospital setting (never been admitted before).

If anyone else has advice as to how to prepare/deal, much appreciated.

Has anyone else dealt with this while in the hospital? I'm thinking I should talk with my surgeon's nurse about it at my pre op this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wwboy

After my surgery my 1st night in the hospital I was so tired & couldn't feel the need to go the bathroom until I was extremely full! I started to get out of bed & the pressure of not using my stomach I literally went in the bed while getting up & dribbled all the way to the bathroom, the nurse was there helping me up & I was so embarrassed. She said she could get me some depends for me. Well I told her I didn't need them, & sure enough the next time I needed to go I started getting out of the bed & there it went. The nurse had to change my sheets twice!! I finally took the depends then!!!! She said it was very common for people to have problems after surgery. I didn't know I would need the depends so if you think you may ask the nurse & tell her you may have that problem & they will help you out, or bring some to slip on! Hope this helps, it does happen!

They said I did, but it was gone by the time I got to the hospital room.

I don't think I had one.