Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Idk if I want to have the surgery

I've done the 5 months of monitored weight loss. I'm having doubts. My acid reflux has gotten so bad I now have to take omeprazole everyday because apparently everything I eat now gives me heartburn.

I'm doubting my surgeon, the type of surgery I originally picked, the hospital and this whole thing.

The surgeon hasn't followed up with me at all. I've seen him once since my first meeting. Are they supposed to follow up?

The sleeve makes acid reflux worse, I'm teetering with the idea of bypass but not sure my surgeon will agree to do it. The other surgeon in the practice that I originally met with does bypass but he is seemed so impersonable and quick to pass me to another surgeon that I don't know if I would want him to do it-but he's been doing it for 32years.

If I move hospitals I'm afraid of issues with medical records and tests being transferred over.

I know deep down I want to do this-so bad, but I'm having so much anxiety.

I need help please.

i spoke to my surgeon once before the 6 month counseling/wl plan and didnt speak to him again until at the hospital the day of surgery! some surgeons let their PA's do all the work , i know mine did.

as far as the reflux goes i had it really bad before and just now started to get it again 3 weeks post op, i think because im eating pureed foods now. i have to also take a pill everyday, that he prescribed but i was able to stop taking 3 others! to me it was a trade off :)

i understand your anxiety i had it too, more than i can explain! if you want to, message me and we can chat and i can listen and try to ease your worries, i had times i just needed a good buddy to make me feel better.

bottom like if you are having big questions, try to get them answered, if not deal with the issue at hand which seems to be anxiety....again, i have it and i know the feeling! its an uncontrollable fear for me.

also with the records, get a copy of them yourself, and all your tests results, and take them with you if you change surgeons, they should be able to use them for continuation of care.

I've done the 5 months of monitored weight loss. I'm having doubts. My acid reflux has gotten so bad I now have to take omeprazole everyday because apparently everything I eat now gives me heartburn.

I'm doubting my surgeon, the type of surgery I originally picked, the hospital and this whole thing.

The surgeon hasn't followed up with me at all. I've seen him once since my first meeting. Are they supposed to follow up?

The sleeve makes acid reflux worse, I'm teetering with the idea of bypass but not sure my surgeon will agree to do it. The other surgeon in the practice that I originally met with does bypass but he is seemed so impersonable and quick to pass me to another surgeon that I don't know if I would want him to do it-but he's been doing it for 32years.

If I move hospitals I'm afraid of issues with medical records and tests being transferred over.

I know deep down I want to do this-so bad, but I'm having so much anxiety.

I need help please.

I know for sure that the sleeve makes acid reflux much worse. I am 4 days post op from gastric bypass and all the way until the day if surgery, I had horrible reflux. I initially only wanted the sleeve. My Surgeon did consult that due to my chronic reflux it would be worse but I didn't want yo hear it. But, I attended a session were there were 3 sleevers scheduled for bypass due to horrible reflux . I immediately did my research and decided that I'm only having surgery once. I changed to bypass and I haven't had not one incident since my surgery. I also only met with my surgeon once and did everything else through his APN and he and I communicated by email. It's your body, your choice. Do your homework , talk to other sleevers and sleeves who have ultimately converted to bypass. There are lots here. As mentioned before get copies of your records & switch hospitals if you'd needs are not met. I m am confident that you will make the right decision that's best for you. Best of luck, I know you can make it happen!!!

We all get nervous before for the most part. I saw my surgeon at my consult and didn't see him again until my last pre-op visit before surgery...so about 5 months later?

His staff took care of everything and I was in process the whole time but there really wasn't anything I needed him for until surgery.

You can also ask questions if you need to, message me anytime. You have made a great decision and it is healthy to be nervous, it is a big change in your life!!

I saw my surgeon once, at a meeting where we discussed the types of surgery and which one he felt was appropriate for my situation. We decided on the sleeve, and I did not see him again for four months, about a week before surgery to make sure I wanted to go through with it. During those four months, I had three visits with the bariatrician, four visits with the nutritionists and two visits with the psychologist, hospital visits for labs, EKG, EDG, and liver ultrasound. They kept me pretty busy.

I have seen the surgeon once post-op at around a month out, but I had follow-up visits at one month, three months, six months, one year, a visit coming up next week for a year and a half, and then there will be a two year visit and a five year visit with the bariatrician and nutritionist. I will have one more visit with the psychologist at two years.

Yes, I had my doubts, too, and the bariatrician even changed my axiety meds I was already taking post-stroke (my major motivator to get surgery). After a couple of months she doubled that prescription. The right dosage made all the difference. I have had 11 other surgeries. This one concerned me the most because it was so drastic, but it was the easiest recovery of all in spite of liquid diets and that lousy first month adjusting to the new tummy. My reflux has not been worse since surgery.

There were moments and weeks of discomfort, but looking back a year and a half later, I am glad I did not deny myself this tool. I was on a fast track to a premature death. The sleeve saved my life and gave me back years with my grandchildren, family , and companion that I would have lost.

I do agree that if your needs are not being met, move on. Hospitals and doctors HAVE TO release your medical records to you. It's the law. Don't deny yourself a new lease on life because of one clinical practice. Find someone you are comfortable with, and go for it. I wish you good luck and good health.

Before I had surgery I was eating Zantac like they were candy. Heartburn was out of control. Since the sleeve I haven't had heartburn once, it's awesome. Remember you are doing this for you to feel better and be healthier, I almost backed out myself but I sucked it up and did it. The first two weeks were awful but now I'm loving it. Full for the first time in my life. More energy and feel great. Worst thing is the hair thinning. Don't give up.

I work in the medical field and I can tell you, surgeons are their own breed. Most of them are very smart and very antisocial and cannot relate to people on a normal level. This is normal for them. Both your surgeons sound like they fit that to a tee. Also, surgeons primarily do surgery, they don't do office visits. That's why they have PAs and surgical nurses. You shouldn't be bothered by how you get along with your surgeon or if he returns your calls. That's not in their DNA. You should worry about his experience and his track record. That is really all that matters. If you want to talk to someone about the surgery itself, call and ask to speak to one of his PAs. They do the office visits. However, if you are unsatisfied with the whole office, then make a change. This is about you and your body.

I was supposed to have the sleeve too. I found out with my preops that I had reflux so I went with the bypass. Even though I am only a week postop, I love not having any heartburn. It's amazing! I would definitely recommend bypass if you have reflux. Good luck with your decisions.

I have had to take omeprazole daily since I had my sleeve. My surgeon prescribes it for the first 2 months for all sleeve patients and then has them try to go off of it. When I went off of it, I immediately had terrible reflux issues, so I went right back on it and have stayed on it. For me, though, taking one extra pill a day (I already have to take a ton of Vitamins anyway) is no big deal. I would MUCH rather have to do that than have all the potential downsides and complications of RNY. But everyone has to weigh the pros and cons and make that choice for themselves.

Totally agree on what was said above about surgeons in general! They are odd ducks most times.

As for reflux, don't forget obesity itself aggravates it. I dealt with it for years on and off for 16 years starting with my first pregnancy (which is when I gained back all he weight I lost in my 20's and stayed obese). Had the sleeve and did the pills for the first month my surgeon reccomends, went off had issues and went back on. At the four month mark, down over 80lbs, I went off again and have never looked back.

There are just as many complications with the sleeve as with bypass, they are just different. And if you have a good surgeon, your risk goes down considerably. My surgeon says he has several patients who chose to do the sleeve despite his warnings about reflux and now they have come to him to get a revision to bypass. Also, omeprazole is not meant to be taken long term. It is supposed to be taken for 6 months at the most to help heal reflux. If your reflux is not healed after 6 months it is more serious and may be necessary to treat with surgery. Popping pills is not a solution, it's a bandaid. And in my opinion, I had this surgery to help me fix problems with my health, not create new ones or worsen old ones. That's why I chose bypass.

There are just as many complications with the sleeve as with bypass, they are just different. And if you have a good surgeon, your risk goes down considerably. My surgeon says he has several patients who chose to do the sleeve despite his warnings about reflux and now they have come to him to get a revision to bypass. Also, omeprazole is not meant to be taken long term. It is supposed to be taken for 6 months at the most to help heal reflux. If your reflux is not healed after 6 months it is more serious and may be necessary to treat with surgery. Popping pills is not a solution, it's a bandaid. And in my opinion, I had this surgery to help me fix problems with my health, not create new ones or worsen old ones. That's why I chose bypass.

That's my view as well, this is the only co-morbidity that I have. I'am getting the surgery to FIX my problems and since reflux and weight are the only issue I have right now, I'd rather fix both with one stone. When I first met with the surgeon my reflux wasn't that bad, but I notice that as this 6 months of monitored weight loss goes on, it has gotten so bad that as of late, I've have to take 40mg almost EVERYDAY, if not 40mg then 20mg.

It's reassuring that no one else's doctor has been constantly in contact with them since their initial consultation. Their office staff is amazing, and very personable. So, I'll go to the visit on the 15th and keep everyone updated.

Thank you all for your support I appreciate it more then you guys know.