Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@JamieLogical

I have noticed that a lot of surgeons put forth different diet requirements for their sleeve patients. My surgeon is very adamant about following a low-fat diet. He recommends fat free and low fat versions of everything. It's even in the book that he gave me post-surgery, stating that high fat foods make you lose at a dramatically slower rate.

To be honest, I think a lot of what we're told is just scare tactics to keep us on a healthier path.

I'm like you in thinking that I'd rather have full fat versions of things(at least pre-op), because when they strip the fat out, they strip the nutrients out and also add in stuff that's not really good for the body.

I want to try to follow my surgeons directions, but it is difficult when you eat out a lot, as I tend to do. Of course, cooking for yourself is always the best option, but not all of us want to make the time for that. And I do realize that's a choice. Somehow, someway, we can all make time for cooking and exercise. Anything else is just an excuse. And the habit of making excuses for such things is hard to break, especially when you've been doing it for 20+ years.

My surgeon and nutritionist suggested low fat too, but I think as more of a "general rule". I mean, you have to be able to use your brain. They probably put things in absolutes in your instructions because they expect that most patients aren't going to read nutrition labels. But if you use your brain and see that the low fat version is full of sugar and has just as many calories as the low fat version, then there is no reason to choose the low fat version.

I read labels. I eat low fat string cheese and low fat greek yogurt, because when I compare them to the full fat versions, they are better nutritionally all the way down the list. But that isn't the case for everything. Guidelines are good, but we have to be allowed to use our brains as well.

yup im struggling with this...i know mine is due to extreme mental fatigue and burnout though...

i have been overeating (not chronically but very uncomfortable afterwards) for about 2-3 weeks now. today was actually my first day of measuring out my portions and stopping when full...but i also admit today was the best mental day i have had in weeks.

the only way i get over the guilt of "food wasting" (it was pushed on me as a very young child about starving people around the world and so yes, i always eat EVERYTHING on my plate no matter what) is by portioning out beforehand and making MUCH smaller meals. i notice when i cook way less, i eat way less and don't have guilt about leftover food because there is none.

I'm 3 weeks post op I can barely drink and eat so I'm supose to. I can't imagine over eating I'm trying not to dehydrate or faint....

@@AvaFern You're the first person I've come across that seems to have the same issue that I do. I throw up if I eat too much or too fast. And I mean, I will keep throwing up until it my stomach is empty. I also have issues with several different food types making me throw up. For example, I can't eat anything spicy or I get sick right away (so sad because I love spicy food).

I have a question for you. How far out from surgery are you? Has it eased up at all or is it still the same as when you were early out from surgery? I'm 8 months out. My doctor says that this should go away eventually but so far it hasn't. The bright side is, it keeps me on track.

For me, the best way to avoid inadvertent overeating when eating out is to portion out the proper amount at the beginning of the meal before you start eating. You can then ask for a to go box and pack up the rest while it's still appetizing and undisturbed and take it home for another couple of meals. This tends to help me slow down as well. I'm distracted from my hunger while I'm taking care of this small chore.

In fancy, gourmet restaurants, I just separate my food on the same plate and then remind myself that the second portion is not to be eaten yet. I know that some people think it's gauche to ask for a doggy bag, but I don't feel embarrassed at all.

I haven't had this problem. When I go out I usually share something and there's still left overs. I don't have a problem having left overs because I always feed them to my dog.

Always eat slow too, otherwise you're stuffing more food then your stomach can handle and you'll regret it.

I just pack it up for leftovers and enjoy it three more times. Nothing wrong with that. Lat night I ordered enchilada at my fav Mexican. It's 4 enchiladas. I ate 1. Today I will eat 1.

My daughter will have 1 for lunch and I will have 1 for dinner.

Best $14 I ever spent!

post-209284-14342031657802_thumb.jpg

@@*Lexie*

To answer your question, I am 21 months out from surgery. Oddly enough, I didn't have a big problem with barfing until about 10 months out and it has been pretty much puke-ville for the past 11 months. I have found that if I eat slowly, I am not nervous when I eat (as an example, when I'm out on a date, I'm so nervous that I might throw up that my stomach gets all aggravated and then I get sick), and if I stick to the majority of foods I know are mostly safe I'm ok. I have tried eggs lately and it seems most of my issues come from eggs, certain types of dairy like whole milk, cream, or butter, and any form of fried food or oil. Dense meats also don't tend to sit very well but if I eat slowly, sometimes they are cooperative.

I don't really mind the issue because it keeps me thin. I can't eat anything too horrible for me and I can't eat too much of anything. Since sometimes food doesn't come spewing back up I know I don't have stricture- I just have a really irritable little B of a sleeve. I like her, lol, despite the barfing, she has done good things for me.

I think the mentality to eat everything is just something we have to relearn. I'm just six weeks after surgery and I have over eaten a couple of times and in fact, last night, some mashed potatoes came right back out after I ate them. One thing that helps is if you're eating, put your fork down between each bite and see how your stomach feels. If you're at a restaurant, ask for a to go box when you order your food and then put half or whatever you think you cannot eat in there before you even start eating your meal.

Don't know if this helps but good luck to you.

I am 5 weeks post op and I sometimes find myself eating more than I should. It's weird because part of me will sit there and be so thankful I'm eating a lot less than I used to and then the other part of me is feeling guilty because I think I ate too much.

My biggest issue is the Protein Drinks. I basically stopped doing them. I only lost 2lbs in the past two weeks so I am thinking I may have to start having them again. My doctor said right now the Protein Shakes are the nutrition. The food is only so I don't feel like I'm going crazy from not eating.

I have tried a lot of food that I shouldn't try yet because I really thought I was passed the leaking point but I found out on Friday that I am not ????. Of course I now worry about leakage and wonder if I did any damage but I am hoping for the best. I definitely need to start meal prepping and measure and only stick to that specific amount.

Another thing I find is if you do go out to eat the waiter/waitress always think you didn't like your food bc "you barely touched it". I know places have a kids menu but that is usually filled with burgers, grilled cheese, spaghetti, or Mac and cheese. I wish restaurants had something on their menu for people who are "not so hungry" lol. I would love to order a smaller portion of a fish meal and not have to spend $16.

PrettyGal27

I'm iffy when it comes to fish and heating it the next day. chicken okay but the fish I will usually only have that night which is why it would be nice if they had smaller "adult meal" portions.