Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less than a week what if stage

I'm sure everyone goes through it I'm having surgery June 10th and starting to get nervous and panic. When you start looking up complications or thinking what if I wake up in extreme pain lol. Any tips for just calming down. I've been completely calm up till now I guess I just didn't think it was actually happening . I mean I never even had a cavity let alone major medical procedures so any advice would be great !

Ok, here's the thing about surgery. My sleeve was my 12th, including 2 c-sections, spinal disc repair, gall-bladder out, appendix, blah, blah, blah, and was the easiest recovery, least painful of them all.

They will give you an IV. You will feel a little prick. My first ex-husband was a little prick. (My second ex-husband was a big prick)! :D They will give you a mild sedative, just enough so that you are can be relaxed and don't really care what is happeneing. When the get you to the OR, they will help you navugate your mello self onto the operating table.

Then they will ask you to count to 100 backwards - or something distracting like that. 100, 99, 98, wake up, wake up, hey you're all done, You did just fine.

There you go, on your way to a new you. You can expect to be nauseous for a few days, maybe even until you complete your post-op meds, but they will give you something for it. No lie, even if you have an uncomplicated recovery, you may still have an uncomfortable recovery. It is a right of passage to good health and being able to be more involved in your own life.

For me, I did not really get any energy back until I got on regular cooked foods at 4 1/2 weeks. It is hard to believe that next week I go for my 18 month check-up. How did all of those slowest days days of pre-op liquids, post-op diet phases, and multiple crazy-making stalls go by so fast?

Hang around here with us for encouragement, support, and the unvarnished truth about our individual experoences. You will learn a lot. If you want to find a thread on certain topics, go to the search box, type in your subject, click on the nearly invisible little down arrrow for a drop-down menu. Click on FORUMS, then the search magnifying glass. That will give you a display of different threads on that subject. Welcome, and good luck with your surgery.

Oops!. Meant to say that my sleeve was the easiest recovery of them all.

Sorry for all the typos. I am up thinkin' when I ought to be sleepin'.

This is one of those short term pain, long term gain situations. The first week post-op is not a lot of fun, but after a week my recovery was very rapid. I am now 4 weeks out and my only lingering symptom that annoys me from my surgery is that I need more sleep. I am told this passes too as you your body needs 3-6 months to fully recover.

What I have now is significant weight loss (I started trying to live the Protein diet at Christmas of 14, but really kicked it in 3 weeks before surgery). I no longer take blood pressure medication. My waist is down from a 48 to a 40. I am averaging 6 pounds a week, and it is fat. I can wear clothes that have been in the back of my closet for 15 years. My back no longer hurts. My knees no longer hurt. I walk at least 4 miles per day. The seatbelt on the airplane is loose! I could go on and on.

So for me, one week of discomfort was well with the rewards! I was worried about it too, and couldn't think about anything else. So far I have no regrets.

Hi I have to say the surgical pain wasn't bad no bs I was sleeved had a few very small incisions wasn't much pain now the gas pain that was uncomfortable for sure and the nausea however it passes ask for meds if u need them they do not want u nauseas or throwing up trust me walk walk walk drink when u can as much as u can I had three bad days but not intolerable by any means try not to overthink it u will stress yourself out good luck

Ok, here's the thing about surgery. My sleeve was my 12th, including 2 c-sections, spinal disc repair, gall-bladder out, appendix, blah, blah, blah, and was the easiest recovery, least painful of them all.

They will give you an IV. You will feel a little prick. My first ex-husband was a little prick. (My second ex-husband was a big prick)! :D They will give you a mild sedative, just enough so that you are can be relaxed and don't really care what is happeneing. When the get you to the OR, they will help you navugate your mello self onto the operating table.

Then they will ask you to count to 100 backwards - or something distracting like that. 100, 99, 98, wake up, wake up, hey you're all done, You did just fine.

There you go, on your way to a new you. You can expect to be nauseous for a few days, maybe even until you complete your post-op meds, but they will give you something for it. No lie, even if you have an uncomplicated recovery, you may still have an uncomfortable recovery. It is a right of passage to good health and being able to be more involved in your own life.

For me, I did not really get any energy back until I got on regular cooked foods at 4 1/2 weeks. It is hard to believe that next week I go for my 18 month check-up. How did all of those slowest days days of pre-op liquids, post-op diet phases, and multiple crazy-making stalls go by so fast?

Hang around here with us for encouragement, support, and the unvarnished truth about our individual experoences. You will learn a lot. If you want to find a thread on certain topics, go to the search box, type in your subject, click on the nearly invisible little down arrrow for a drop-down menu. Click on FORUMS, then the search magnifying glass. That will give you a display of different threads on that subject. Welcome, and good luck with your surgery.

Lol, Miss Mac!

I'm sure everyone goes through it I'm having surgery June 10th and starting to get nervous and panic. When you start looking up complications or thinking what if I wake up in extreme pain lol. Any tips for just calming down. I've been completely calm up till now I guess I just didn't think it was actually happening . I mean I never even had a cavity let alone major medical procedures so any advice would be great !

@ theotherfatgirl....it is normal to feel like we do but honestly everybodys experience is unique and their own Journey!!! Like the two of us will be in surgery the same day but who knows what each other will feel like in the end. All I know is Im glad that we can share these emotions that others cant completely grasp! You will do fine!! ????????????????

Thanks for the description of the experience Miss. Mac. It makes me less nervous!

Thanks so much for response I defiantly feel better

I defiantly appreciate all the responses it'd crazy how like I haven't been nervous or scared up until now . I guess I didn't feel like it was really coming but it is so I won't dwell on negatives I'm keeping it postive .

Best of luck. I hope everything goes well.

I was sleeved April 20 and the worst part was the anticipation.

As Miss Mac mentioned, you won't be aware of your surgery.

I had a few minutes coming out of recovery where I felt a struggle to catch my breath.

Other than that my recovery was easy and uneventful.

I had a little gas pain in my shoulder that was helped by walking and a heating pad.

You'll do great. If you do have any issues or complications you will be in good hands.