Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Deciding: Need Opinions!

I am a 20 year old female (going to be 21 soon) and am weighing the options of doing surgery while I'm under my parent's insurance. I'm 5'4, 310 pounds (BMI of like 54) I am still in college and would plan on doing the surgery either this winter or next summer. I graduate next spring so I would have the summer to repair from the surgery until the fall when I'd start a potential job. If i didn't get the surgery within the next two years, I might have to wait like 10 or more to build up my insurance at my new job.

I am working on my degree in Elementary Education. As of now, I work at a daycare and in direct care, both physically tolling jobs for an obese person. I am asked constantly from both jobs why I'm so big and if I'm pregnant. Parents sometimes look down on me as not physically capable or not being a role model for their children, which of course I want to be.

I want to be able to sit in a chair and not worry about it breaking. I want to be able to lay down and not have my neck fat squished up against my chin. I want to be able to be comfortable with myself emotionally and physically. I want to buy clothes at Target and other cheaper stores that carry cute clothes without having to hide out in the plus size section. I want to be healthy and not worry about the possibility of diabetes, heart attacks, or aches/hurts in my joints.

Something, though, scares me about the surgery. I'm not sure if it's the surgery itself or the thought of not eating my favorite foods after. I know it's worth it and everything and that complications are a minimal risk but what if my sutures leak? Or the biggest fear, I end up stretching my stomach out???

Someone please help me out! Should I wait and figure myself out mentally or should I do the surgery and be healthier for my future career??

Don't wait do it now if u can while your young u can't really stretch your stomach I can't believe that u get full fast with a smaller stomach u can eat things just in smaller portions I'm a bit over three months post op if u are very heavy that's a hard job to have and why give your time to allow ppl to criticize you instead of living your life what if u wait and things change in health care as they are constantly doing they make us pay tons of money for insurance plans that cover less and less u may never get it why wait to have health problems go for it now

Even if you are not sure you can start the process. As you go through the prep you can learn as much as you can.

Only you can decide if this is the right thing for you but as you have the opportunity now why not at least talk to your doctor and attend an introductory seminar.

I think almost anyone who has had the surgery will tell you they'd wish they'd had it done sooner.

The insurance process takes FOREVER...so the quicker you begin the journey the better chances you have of getting the surgery around the times that are convenient to you.

Attend a pre-surgeon information seminar if you can. Most doctors that perform the surgery offer and information seminar prior to seeing them for the first time. Even if you choose not to go with that doctor it will have provided you with a lot of information for making your decision.

And read these forums. They have answered a million and one of my questions as well as taught me 2 million things I didn't think of or know.

Best of luck to you!!

Edited by sa111antha

My only regret so far is that I waited until I'd gained an extra 100 lbs to finally decide to have the surgery. Like one of the previous posters said, I wish I'd done it sooner and when I was a little younger.

I would start the process now if your insurance will cover it. If you put it off until you have your own policy WLS may or may not be covered. Plus it takes time to get through all the pre-surgical qualifications.

Hi Amber,

If there is any way you can have the surgery now, I would absolutely do it.

It wasn't available when I was your age and I didn't listen to my mom when she said "It's easier to lose the weight when you are younger".

Now I am a grandma and great grandma. I am having my surgery on 7/1 and I am so excited. My skin won't shrink as well at my age, but I will be glad to see my weight related problems diminish. Things like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, won't be missed. But I am really looking forward to less weight and strain on my back, hips, knees, ankles, and feet.

You have so much life ahead of you. You will enjoy it more if you have the surgery. :D

I am 9 yrs older than you. At 20 you will have so much time to enjoy your life. You want to make the decision and lifestyle change while you're young enough to spring back and have fun. I believe it's true that we are discriminated against because of size when I am often more active than thin people. But I too work in elementary and you do want to have more energy. I also have kids of my own to keep up with. I look forward to getting joy out of clothes shopping and shoe shopping. I'm ready to be young and fabulous on a different level. I was playing around with the idea too. Now I'm scheduled for December. Do it while you have the insurance coverage. Things change quickly!

Something, though, scares me about the surgery. I'm not sure if it's the surgery itself or the thought of not eating my favorite foods after. I know it's worth it and everything and that complications are a minimal risk but what if my sutures leak? Or the biggest fear, I end up stretching my stomach out???

The surgery itself is about as safe as anything out there. If your sutures leak, they can do a revision and you will be fine. My surgeon has thousands of these surgeries and never had a leak. You can still have your favorite foods in moderation. If you follow the diet, you won't stretch out your sleeve.

Why would you wait? You can have everything on your wish list, most likely within a year. If you start next year, than you have pushed it off for another year. Nobody ever went back to their surgeon and told them they wished their sleeve was bigger!

I'm 27 and just deciding I should go this route. I want to do it while I'm still young. I want to get married, have children, have a healthy life, and I think this is my best option. I've been overweight my entire life and don't want to spend another year obese and miserable. If you have the option available to you, I'd certainly look in to it. It's worth it to go through the process and in the end decide whether or not you want to do it than to spend all of this time waiting and THEN have to start the process. I know with my insurance I have to go through 6 months nutritionist visits before I can submit for approval.

It took me seeing my coworker having her surgery two weeks ago to really give me the shove to call a surgeon. If I lose weight on my own and don't feel like surgery is right for me any more, I don't have to go through with it. But if I do, then at least I started now. My coworker was unsure of when she would be able to have her surgery but with her insurance her approval was good for an entire year. You may be able to get approved and then find a time that's right for you.