Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!! I am new to bariatricpal.com, I joined a few months ago, but really wasn't sure what I was doing. I went to get my pre-op blood work done this morning and the phlebotomist that was drawing my blood told me great things about this site, as she had the band done several years prior. I am glad that I am getting the chance to sit back and go through all of this. I am going to start with telling everyone a little about myself. My name is Tracy, I am 33 years old, I am married to the love of my life Marc. He has a daughter (Olivia) from a previous marriage that was adopted from China, so I became an instant step-mom, she can be a handful at times but I love her. I currently work at a technical center in Florida as a secretary, I have been working at this school for almost 15 years (September). Currently I live in two locations during the week. Monday - Thursday I live with my father to help take care of him, cook his meds, take him to Dr. Appointments when needed, and anything else I can do. Friday - Sunday I live with my husband. Yeah its not fun, but it works for us.

So now a little bit about how my story has gotten started. I have always been over weight, always been the biggest out of all my friends, and usually every where I would go. Back in October of 2014, we got an email from the school board I work for that if we wanted to get the chance to have one of the surgeries, we could enter in to a pool to, in which would be selected by our insurance to participate in a pilot weight loss program. The day after my birthday November 18, 2014, is when they selected the names. However, my name was not chosen and I got a letter in the mail a few weeks later stating that and telling me I could sign up to participate in weight watchers. Which I have already tried with no luck. So I let it go, however at the end of January beginning of February, I got another letter from Blue Cross saying "Congratulations, I had been chosen to participate in the pilot program. I was so extremely happy. I immediately called who it told me to on the paper, a amazing lady from Blue Cross named Joyce, she gave me a lot of the details and soon after I got started.

I attended the seminar at Celebration Health, where I got more awesome news, and the following week I got started making my appointments and and getting my clearances done. Wednesday May 27th, I got a call from my advocate to confirm my surgery date and set up all pre-op appointments. June 29th I will get going in to receive the RNY Gastric Bypass and I can not wait. I am nervous and scared and all over the place. I am sure their are others out there like me as well.

June 8th I start my 3 week pre-op liquid/protein diet. Does anyone have any advice on the best Proteins out there, also looking for a good multi Vitamin as well.

I am hoping to meet others who are in my same boat or that have already gone through the surgery or are thinking about going through the surgery. I would really like to meet new friends to have a support group because I know the road ahead of me is going to be a hard one.

Well welcome....I'm pretty new as well....in fact I heard about the site sitting in the Dr's office..."ease dropping" on someone else's' convo (well they were just talking really loud). lol....and its been awesome! Well don' t know what I can add...I had to do 15 days of a pre-op diet. Each surgeon is completely different....I had to do complete Meal Replacement Protein shakes (Bariatric Advantage)....which it took about a week to get used to it..,and get in my flow of what fruit I wanted to add to it. I purchased a strawberry and an Unflavored...and daily I would add 1 scoop of each with 1/3 cup of a mix of strawberries and blueberries to 8 oz of Water. Although I hated them..I got used to them...and thankful...bc I lost 20 pounds in 14 days. I have my surgery tomorrow...and will be back on Protein Shakes afterwards....I'm running from BA...and bought "Premier" at CVS...a lot of people on this forum have been recommending it (30 grams of Protein, 1 gram of Sugar, 160 calories)...and I spoke to my dr about it today and he said it's great! I'll have to let you know how it goes...I have surgery in the morning...and will have the shake next week.

KIT....I'm 33....and used to live in FL....(Jacksonville....Duvaaalllll)....now in the Chicago suburbs!

Welcome to the site. You have been blessed with a wonderful opportunity for a better life. I had my surgery last September and have lost 75 lbs. My goal is another 25 lbs by the end of this month. Mostly because i had to stop working out due to a leg injury. Although i continued to lose i would have lost more . My biggest issue was finding the right Protein Powder. The smell of several made me sick. Protein definitely drives your weight loss and you will see greater results. I found syntha-6. It is wonderful. It taste like a milkshake. I actually use it as a dessert whenever i have a craving. I use Water and fruit and sometimes skim or almond milk. Just stick to whatever your doctor and nutritionist states and you will be find. I had little pain when sitting or standing up after surgery but it only lasted a week. The hardest for me right now is how fast my clothes size is changing so shop for cheap clothing because your size cash decrease in a matter of days. Let me know how you make out and good luck with your surgery.

@@caligul good luck in the morning. I wish say a prayer for you. Keep me updated with your progress. Tomorrow was supposed to be my date but because of paperwork being left on someone's desk for a week I got moved out. Oh well, I will manage. I use the Premier Protein shakes now, I only like the chocolate, but who knows what I will like after surgery. Again good luck and KIT. I'm going to add you as a friend.

@@blackjetta12 Thanks and I will keep you updated. That's amazing you have lost that much. I have a feeling the goodwill will become my friend, until I get to a size I'm gonna stick at. Can't see spending a ton on something that may only fit a few weeks or months. However I'm gonn live to see all my "fat girl" clothes go.

@@caligul good luck in the morning. I wish say a prayer for you. Keep me updated with your progress. Tomorrow was supposed to be my date but because of paperwork being left on someone's desk for a week I got moved out. Oh well, I will manage. I use the Premier Protein shakes now, I only like the chocolate, but who knows what I will like after surgery. Again good luck and KIT. I'm going to add you as a friend.

Thanks. .. and keep me posted. ..6/29 will be here before you know it!

@@tracynicole5181 Hey girl. ...today makes 1 week post op for me. I can definitely say its been painful. .but each day has gotten better and better especially with mobility and being able to do more for myself independently. I'm now walking outside in 15 min increments and it feels great! No problems with my liquid diet. ..I have a new found love for cream of chicken soup... lol. ..and hopefully after my appointment on Thursday with the Dr I can move on to blended foods. How are you doing with your preparation for 6/29, you hanging in there?

Edited by caligul

@@caligul I am hanging in there. I am on day 2 of my liquid diet. I want to eat my arm off, but I am hanging in there. I have been really good about trying to keep track of all my liquids that I take in, and make sure that I am following the phase two diet as follows. How long were you in the hospital? I am so ready for the count down to be over. I have 20 days left until it's "D" day. I hope you continue with doing what you are doing and keep giving me a positive out look on it all. Luckily I have a lot of work to do at work before surgery that it will keep me busy and my mind off food.

@tracynicole5181. . Glad to hear. .. you will make it through fine. I was in the hospital for 4 days 3 nights. Moat people stay doe 3 days are my surgeons office. But he tells us bot to go home until we fell 100....and that it's worse leaving to early and having to be re-admitted to the hospital. So I stayed and had a CT scan before leaving oink make sure evere was fine.

Oh that's good. I go for pre op in the morning. Hope it all goes well. Will keep you posted.