Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everything my doctor said i should eat i don't really eat so i need your help. My problem is right now im trying new Protein shakes so i can drink because the one that i'm drinking now i hate, because my taste buds is a mess right now. What can i eat at 5 weeks post op that has no starsh and will be healthy for me? And also i'm having trouble drinking my liquid, i used to love drinking my Water but now it's not going right for me... Please any suggestions from you guys and thanks in advance.

The more Protein you eat the better...starches should be limited

Hi, @ishmaellisa--I noticed that your surgeon is in the same practice as mine. I'm having my surgery on June 15th at Einstein with Dr. Dallal.

I'm still pre-op, but from what others have said, it's totally normal for your tastes to change after surgery. For the Protein shakes, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury offers a sample pack (http://www.unjury.com/unjury-starter-kit), so does Syntrax nectar (15 packets for $14.99 + $2 shipping--call 866-333-7403 x 803), as does Jay Robb (https://www.jayrobb.com/protein/whey-protein-samples.asp). That way you can try some different ones without committing to a huge tub of one flavor.

As for Water, it seems also to be pretty common for people in the months right after surgery to find plain Water hard to drink. You can try Crystal Light or those Mio drops. I have some Tazo iced herbal tea bags (they have them at Target) that I plan to drink post-op to help get in liquids. Edited to add: Also, play around with the temperature of your water--I think some people end up finding it better to have it ice-cold, others more room-temperature.

Edited by lauraellen80

Afternoon.

I had my surgery in November and have NOT had one Protein drink. It seems that after my surgery, I could not stand the taste. So I consulted with my surgeon and it was okay that I did not drink them. I found other ways to keep the Protein coming in.

At 5 week I was able to eat a lot of different types of Beans, Peanut Butter, etc that has the protein. I ate yogurt, cottage cheese, soft cheese. Whatever I could find with protein I ate it.

I was only able to eat 1 tsp every 2 hours, but I did it.

Good luck.

I'll be 5 weeks post op tomorrow. Per my doctor's instructions I can eat "soft" foods now.I am eating tuna and chicken salad, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage and turkey burger patties (small bites and well chewed), avocados, refried Beans, some cheese, boiled eggs, etc. I leave for work at 5:45. A typical day consists of a Jimmy Dean Breakfast bowl with scrambled eggs, red potatoes and turkey sausage (22 grams of protein). For a mid morning snack I drink a Bolthouse Protein drink (available at my Wal Mart 16 grams of Protein a little higher in sugar than I like but it tastes like choclate milk), chicken/tuna salad for lunch with some refried Beans (about 20 grams of protein), another Bolthouse drink in the afternoon and for supper half a turkey burger patty along with some refried beans and avocado (about 20 grams of protein). That gives me approximately 100 grams of protein per day. I constantly sip on Water all day drinking 2 bottles (17 OZ each) plus the 2 Protein drinks (15 oz each) gives me 64 oz of liquid a day virtually painless. Finding variety is difficult but hitting the recommended limits has not been a problem. Down 80 #s since pre op diet began on 4/8/15. Hang in there. Keep communicating. Don't get frustrated. We CAN do this!

Afternoon.

I had my surgery in November and have NOT had one Protein drink. It seems that after my surgery, I could not stand the taste. So I consulted with my surgeon and it was okay that I did not drink them. I found other ways to keep the Protein coming in.

At 5 week I was able to eat a lot of different types of Beans, Peanut Butter, etc that has the protein. I ate yogurt, cottage cheese, soft cheese. Whatever I could find with protein I ate it.

Good luck.

Did you have issues with Peanut Butter? Like nausea? I started to feel sick after but family happened to be sick so I was not sure if it was PB or virus. Also what do you eat with yours?

I'll be 5 weeks post op tomorrow. Per my doctor's instructions I can eat "soft" foods now.I am eating tuna and chicken salad, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage and turkey burger patties (small bites and well chewed), avocados, refried Beans, some cheese, boiled eggs, etc. I leave for work at 5:45. A typical day consists of a Jimmy Dean Breakfast bowl with scrambled eggs, red potatoes and turkey sausage (22 grams of protein). For a mid morning snack I drink a Bolthouse Protein Drink (available at my Wal Mart 16 grams of Protein a little higher in sugar than I like but it tastes like choclate milk), chicken/tuna salad for lunch with some refried beans (about 20 grams of protein), another Bolthouse drink in the afternoon and for supper half a turkey burger patty along with some refried beans and avocado (about 20 grams of protein). That gives me approximately 100 grams of protein per day. I constantly sip on Water all day drinking 2 bottles (17 OZ each) plus the 2 Protein Drinks (15 oz each) gives me 64 oz of liquid a day virtually painless. Finding variety is difficult but hitting the recommended limits has not been a problem. Down 80 #s since pre op diet began on 4/8/15. Hang in there. Keep communicating. Don't get frustrated. We CAN do this!

that is awesome in just a Lil over a month, congrats. I'm gonna try the breakfast bowl. Do u exercise as well?

Those first few weeks suck. Flavored Water / tea helps - someone here suggested ice to me at one point just to get liquid in, and that was a LOT easier than just drinking Water at first.

As for Protein, I second the samples. Nashua Nutrition is a pretty good place to get a variety of flavors and brands - I mixed and dumped more than one shake early on until I found some that were tolerable. For some reason I can never find the option in the menu, but in the upper left corner there's a search box. Just type in "protein samples" and it takes you right to them.

I ate Beans and didn't worry about the starch in them, but watched it in other places.

Good luck, it gets better!

@@ShrinkingPeach thanks

@@lauraellen80 I will try them thanks and yes same practice. I will also try ice cold Water.

@@Tauruslady5 thanks

@@TexCntryBoy yes I eat soft food now, this is the way I wanted the explanation I thank you I will try all you said. And yes we can do it. Thanks

@@roundisashape thank you very much. I will definitely try the beans..

I am in week 5 and i have found the slow cooker to be a life saver. You can throw just about anything in it and it will be nice and juicey when done. This week I made a pesto chicken(1lb of chicken, small jar of pesto, and 1/2 cup chicken broth on low for 5 hours-at hour 4 shedded the chicken and let it soak up liquid), partnered with some roasted sweat potato and i have dinner for the entire week! I also like deli turkey rolled in a slice of swiss cheese(i like to add cream cheese or greek yogurt to make it a little more moist) and my nut suggest frozen turkey meat balls. I also eat scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, chicken salad, cheese sticks, seasoned ground beef and greek yogurt.

As for the shakes, like you i can't stand them. I tried so many different brands, but they all make me gag. I think the problem is that i just don't really like milk. i have tried the nectar fuzzy navel and it was ok, and i tried the Isopure but it was gross. My nut suggested protein2O, but i haven't gotten to the store yet. At this point i gag down one premier Protein in the afternoon and that seems to get me to about 70g of Protein for the day(I am suppose to be between 60-90). My nut said that at about 2 months i can try Protein Bars instead of the shakes, so that may be something to talk to your people about. Just hang in there! You are doing great!

Afternoon.

Good luck.

Did you have issues with Peanut Butter? Like nausea? I started to feel sick after but family happened to be sick so I was not sure if it was PB or virus. Also what do you eat with yours?

Yes i can't eat peanut butter anything.