Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Need info on post surgery recovery time

I am 5 weeks post bypass now. I thought I would be feeling much better than I am. I have good energy for about half a day, but then it is resting time, except when this yellow lab stares me down for his ritual several walks a day. Evenings, I am pretty toasted. I am retired so don't have to worry about going back to work. Before surgery, I had pretty good energy, run a small farm, orchard, etc.

So, for those in my age category (I am 64), what was your experience with getting recovered? BTW, I am really disciplined about Vitamins, Protein, and Water -- nail those every day without exception.

Just trying to see if I am just impatient... Any thoughts/advice/feedback?

@, I am a bit younger than you, 47, and will be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow. I am struggling much the same as you. I do okay in the mornings, but then about lunch time my energy starts to wane. By the time I walk my students out at the end of the day, 3:00 p.m., I am beat and starting to not feel well and needing a rest. I just keep reminding myself that I had major surgery, am essentially starving my body, and am not as young as I used to be. I am frustrated and truly hoping better times are yet to come. I need the energy to walk in the evenings.

Hi there!

I am 51 years old, had bypass on 9/29. I remember feeling exactly like you do. It took me until about week 10 post op before I felt great pretty much everyday. What you are feeling is normal from what you described.

I did go to Las Vegas at 8 weeks post op and stayed for 10 days. I really pushed myself hard during that time and I really think it helped me push past feeling so exhausted all the time. Right after that I started feeling better and better.

Five weeks is very early. I might give it another week or two and then start pushing past it. I was told at 8 weeks post op I was fully healed (meaning, I was not going to spring a leak or have a surgical complication). That's when I started pushing through it.

Good luck to you!