Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone ever say what PB was on this site..I get my first fill and excited and nervous...My doctor stated he was going to be a little aggressive and give me 6 cc. so I will update you all tomorrow.

"PB" stands for "productive burp." Basically it's a way of clearing food that gets stuck. I've never had one, so I can't really tell you anything more than that. If you use the search function in the general, or post op, sections you can probably find several posts giving more explanations.

To get back on topic, I had my first fill today. The needle was a bit more painful than I expected. Nothing unbearable, but still not something I'd wanted on a regular basis.

My band, a 14.5 cc'er, already had 3cc's in it from the surgery. The PA put an additional 2 cc's in, but took .5 out after the x-ray, leaving me with a 1.5cc fill, and 4.5cc's total.

I'm not sure how much restriction I'm feeling. I'm on liquids today, which according to my Dr's post op diet can include smooth yogurt, which I had after the fill. I will say I am feeling pretty full from that one yogurt, so hopefully this is the restriction I've been looking for.

LAP-BAND There is a list of lap band abbreviations. This can help you read posts!

PB = productive burp. If you eat too fast, take too big a bite or don't chew your food well enough, it can (and often does) get stuck. How will you know you're stuck? You'll know. It hurts. Your body's reaction is to produce "slime" to lubricate the esophagus so that HOPEFULLY the stuck food will pass into the stomach. If it doesn't it will come back up. Please note that this is NOT vomiting. Your stomach contents, including stomach acids, do not come back up. Just the food that was stuck. It's a pet peeve for me. I hate it when people say they are vomiting when in fact they are PBing. Frankly, when food gets that stuck, I don't care which way it goes as long as it moves, LOL.

After a PB, I recommend not eating for about 10 minutes. Then go ahead and eat but be mindful of the size bites you're taking and make sure you chew them well and don't rush to take the next bite.

I had my first fill on Monday and I am definitely restricted. Don't know if it will last or how long, but I PBed a few times, so am on liquids today until I feel better.

The fill istself was painless and easy!

hello from another Canuck. I live in Florida. I had my band on 3-5-2010 and going for my first post-op visit today...when did youi get your band? Who did your surgery? I have a friend in Ottawa that has about 150lbs to lose and does not know who to see4 or any of the surgeons...can you help me? Thanks, Daria

I had my first fill last Thursday 3/11/2010 and this was after 3 months post surgery. I didn't feel a thing and when the nurse said she was removing the saline to see how much was there I was surprised because I didn't even feel the needle go in ! But what was a surprise is that I thought there was 3cc in there from surgery day but there was actually 5cc so she gave me a 1.6 cc addition and I got a good restriction.

I had been eating 3/4 to 1 cup per meal before and now I can only eat about 1/2 cup per meal. Almost seems a shame to make food and have to give half of it to the dog. By the way, my dog loves me now .. lots of leftovers !

this is fascinating. I saw my surgeon on 3-15-10 . He told me I will have my first fill on 4-12 and he told me to return to the gym immediately since I did not lose any weight post-op (I had surgery 3-5). So, I was upset, but my dietician told me not to expect weight losss for 2-3 weeks post-op since I had lost 46 lbs pre-op. Was this your experience also? I am upset that I di dnot lose weioght, but felt that the doctor was ratgher harsh. I would love3 to hear more about your experience please. Thasnk for answering back!

this is fascinating. I saw my surgeon on 3-15-10 . He told me I will have my first fill on 4-12 and he told me to return to the gym immediately since I did not lose any weight post-op (I had surgery 3-5). So, I was upset, but my dietician told me not to expect weight losss for 2-3 weeks post-op since I had lost 46 lbs pre-op. Was this your experience also? I am upset that I di dnot lose weioght, but felt that the doctor was ratgher harsh. I would love3 to hear more about your experience please. Thasnk for answering back!

Wow! That was pretty harsh. Personally, I would be weary about going to the gym so soon after surgery. Your body is still healing and you don't need to do anything to injure yourself.

I was told that I may not see any weight loss until after I got my first fill. I go in for my first fill on Monday. I hope my doctor will have a better bedside manner than yours!

p.s. Congrats on losing 46 lbs pre-op. That in itself is an achievement!

Wow! That was pretty harsh. Personally, I would be weary about going to the gym so soon after surgery. Your body is still healing and you don't need to do anything to injure yourself.

I was told that I may not see any weight loss until after I got my first fill. I go in for my first fill on Monday. I hope my doctor will have a better bedside manner than yours!

p.s. Congrats on losing 46 lbs pre-op. That in itself is an achievement!

I thought the surgeon was harsh also, but... the long and short is that I have returned to the gym, doing only aqua aerobics and I have lost 5 lbs since my visit with teh surgeon. I see that you havfe been on lap band for a while.;..may I ask how you have done. The good, bad and ugly of it please. Love to hear other people's experiences...

I thought the surgeon was harsh also, but... the long and short is that I have returned to the gym, doing only aqua aerobics and I have lost 5 lbs since my visit with teh surgeon. I see that you havfe been on LAP-BAND®® for a while.;..may I ask how you have done. The good, bad and ugly of it please. Love to hear other people's experiences...

I got my band on 23 Feb 10. I only lost 14 lbs during my 2 week pre-op diet, then lost another 15 lbs since surgery. My Dr. required a 4 week post-op liquid diet, which was very hard to stick to. I got my first fill today and it went very well. I hope that the weight will start coming off. If I lose 10 lbs a month, I will be happy.

Congrats on losing 5 lbs since your last appointment. Water aerobics is a great idea. I'll need to look into that in my area. Keep up the good work!

weight.png

my doc said 3cc for first fill- Its gonna be in about 2 weeks and Im wondering about the restrictions... I heard it wouldnt be tighht but people here are saying they had a hard time getting down Water? ??? that will NOT work for me!

AND WHATS PB??????????????

good luck good luck

3cc seems like a lot but everyone is different I guess.. I only had 1.6 cc for my first fill.. but then I had 5cc in there to start with and didn't have first fill for over 3 months later.. I never had no issues with getting Water down ... just that since then I have only been eating 1/2 cup and I'm full ! and lost 7 lbs the first week ( as of last Thursday) so I am going to go again this Friday and get checked again.. I can't wait .... a PB .. is a Productive Burp .. it's when u eat something that u maybe didn't chew enough and it get's stuck and wont go down, u will have a PB and it will come back up .. I have not had this happen to me yet ... knock on wood... but I've read about it lots ... good luck with your fill and weight loss !

3cc seems like a lot but everyone is different I guess.. I only had 1.6 cc for my first fill.. but then I had 5cc in there to start with and didn't have first fill for over 3 months later.. I never had no issues with getting Water down ... just that since then I have only been eating 1/2 cup and I'm full ! and lost 7 lbs the first week ( as of last Thursday) so I am going to go again this Friday and get checked again.. I can't wait .... a PB .. is a Productive Burp .. it's when u eat something that u maybe didn't chew enough and it get's stuck and wont go down, u will have a PB and it will come back up .. I have not had this happen to me yet ... knock on wood... but I've read about it lots ... good luck with your fill and weight loss !

thanks for the info... I dont think I have any saline in my band from surgery... I have felt it restrict my eating altho I was able to eat doughy food if I chewed really well and I guess thats a no no... It doesnt go down like it did before the band but it def goes down.. Im concerned with teh fill bec Im flying out of the country for 7 weeks (to complete my year of studies abroad) and the surgeons there do not touch teh toes of the ones in the US as far as experience is concerned- I am staying for a week after tho so hopefully that will be enough time to determine whether its too tight and needs fixing...

and about the pb- my surgeon calls that vomitting but Im glad to be up on the lingo:)

I got my band on 23 Feb 10. I only lost 14 lbs during my 2 week pre-op diet, then lost another 15 lbs since surgery. My Dr. required a 4 week post-op liquid diet, which was very hard to stick to. I got my first fill today and it went very well. I hope that the weight will start coming off. If I lose 10 lbs a month, I will be happy.

Congrats on losing 5 lbs since your last appointment. Water aerobics is a great idea. I'll need to look into that in my area. Keep up the good work!

weight.png

wow..I ws told not to expect weight loss for 2-3 weeks psot op. and you were told liquids for 4 weeks. Wow again. I had a gfraduated diet...liquids up til day 3, then full Fluid to day 10 then puree up to day 15 and then regular diet. interesting. maybe i need to go back to liquids??? Aqua fit is lots of fun and youi tone up rather than bulk up with weightlifting. what are you doing for excercse at this point?