Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is WLS the easy way out or the only way out?

I hear it and read it all the time. People saying that someone told them they took the easy way out because they had weight loss surgery. But most of us that have had surgery agree this was the only way we could lose the weight and keep it off.

This got me thinking, how many people do you know that did not have weight loss surgery that lost weight and kept it off (for say 3 years or more)? I'll go first. Of all my friends and family, I can think of one person.

I can only think of one person I know that lost a lot of weight and kept it off long term. For me and my husband, wls is our last hope. I certainly don't expect it to be easy. I've dieted since elementary school and I've finally come to the conclusion that I need something more to help me get my health back for good.

I can only think of one person who has kept the weight off in that period of time without surgery; however, she had gained the weight back in the last three years, and just took a bunch off during her deployment to Afghanistan.

I think sometimes WLS is the only way out. There's some weird metabolic things that occur when our BMI gets over 40 or so, and I know from medical research and personal experience that the body really fights us on losing weight. It just seems like:

Body hanging onto calories/fat + extreme hunger = no dieting success.

I don't know about the first part of that equation, but the WLS at least takes care of the "extreme hunger" portion and puts the odds back in our favor.

For me, only one person I knew lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off. Wls was my last resort. I have been big my entire life, never lost weight dieting, and was ready to give up. This surgery saved my life! I wish I had done it years ago and saved myself heart ache.

I can't think of any people that I know that have lost 100 pounds (or around there) that didn't have wls, and not all of them have kept it off. WLS has been a lifesaver for me, most of my comorbidities that would have probably killed me by now are gone. But it's not a magic wand. I've had to learn to work with it.

I hear it and read it all the time. People saying that someone told them they took the easy way out because they had weight loss surgery. But most of us that have had surgery agree this was the only way we could lose the weight and keep it off.

This got me thinking, how many people do you know that did not have weight loss surgery that lost weight and kept it off (for say 3 years or more)? I'll go first. Of all my friends and family, I can think of one person.

Glad you brought this up. Before the surgery I thought about this to remember if anyone I knew lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off. I couldn't think of one person. I even asked other people if they knew anyone that lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off and they all said "no". When I say "significant amount" I mean 60 pounds or more.

It really highlighted for me that for some people (like me) the overly-touted mantra of "just eat less and exercise" wasn't going to work without adding in another tool, like weight loss surgery. This has been and is such a gift. I bought a pair of size 16 jeans the other day and while a bit too tight for my liking, they actually fit. I haven't been in a size 16 since 1993. That's a big deal.

I had one friend from college who lost a lot of weight at about 24 because she found out she had a thyroid problem. I don't think this counts so much but she has kept the weight off for 15 years. She is diligent about exercise and diet. Other than that nobody.

"Easy" is so ridiculous, it really doesn't even merit acknowledgement. Ignore anyone who says something so uninformed. That's all I'll say.

Edited by JCP

I know someone (one) who lost 65-70 pounds about 10 years ago and has maintained it since then.

JCP, you nailed it.

I lost a lifelong friend because of her constantly telling me I took the easy way out and other constant crappy remarks. I finally got enough of it and told her she had no clue what she was talking about. She couldn't take it when I called her out and the friendship ended.

I have since found out that this is not all that uncommon.

Mike

I thought I knew one person who did. About 8 years ago she got heavily involved in kickboxing (even competed semi-professionally) and lost 75-80 pounds. But even after she stopped competing she kept the weight off. After I had my VSG, she secretly confessed to me that she had bypass surgery...her husband is the only one that knew the truth.

I have one client that just lost 50 pounds after having knee surgery and has kept it off for almost a year. I guess time will tell....

WLS has added time/quality for both my husband and I. We don't give a care if someone thinks we cheated! We are getting healthy and headed to the gym!'

Edited by LadyK44

I think anyone who thinks this is the 'Easy Way Out' doesn't have a clue:

1) It aint easy (or cheap)

2) Its permanent and not reversible

3) There are many physical challenges involved (WLS universe could be named 'Constipation Nation')

4) Most of us had previously either been heavy life-long or had lost/gained-back weight equivalent to many small people during our lifetime

5) Most of the folks saying this are any of: 1) Skinny; 2) Average; 3) Heavy and want to justify.

So, just 'Keep Calm and Ignore Fools' :)

-RC-