Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the procedure about three weeks ago and have had no complications. I haven't even come close to vomiting and have had very little pain. However, I feel really hungry. I have given in to temptation three times since my surgery eating whatever and pretty much as much as I used to and felt fine. The problem is I don't want to be able to eat this much. I am supposed to be on a puree diet and am obviously struggling with it now. My first adjustment won't be for another three weeks but I want to get it now. I have lost 15 lbs which is encouraging but I know if I am able to eat this much I will keep giving in to temptation. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I thought that I would feel full even if the band hadn't been adjusted. It seems like the food just falls through and I can eat a lot. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do?

John

John, welcome to bandland and LBT. Spend some time perusing this board, you will find that yours is a frequent issue. MANY people have this difficulty, and it's a toughie. I'm sure I'll be where you are in a few weeks.

Unfortunately there isn't a great response. Many folks have found that increasing the Protein intake (either with shakes or supplementing puddings with Protein powders, eating soft proteins) will help curb some of that hunger. Can I ask if you are using a lot of artificial sweetenters (most people do, Splenda, nutrasweet, etc)? There is a tendency for those to make you ravenous as well.

Fills don't happen before a minimum of 4 weeks post-op and lots of time 6 weeks post-op because to fill too early does not allow for full scar formation to happen and that is what keeps the band in place on the back of the stomach. Filling too early increases the chances that the band may slip.

I also should warn you that many people say they don't feel restriction with the first fill, it usually takes two, three or more fills to hit that "sweet spot" and that's going to be tough for me, I know. Also, sometimes it can take a week or two for a fill to "kick in." I've read some reports that folks had a fill ten days earlier and then BAM! out of nowhere, they got restriction. It is a slow process, finding out how you body will respond.

Hang in there! We're here to go through it with you!

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement. I really want this to work for me. I will look into the artificial sweeteners. I drink a lot of Crystal Light, eat pudding, Soup, and Protein Drinks. Evening is when I get the worst craving. I think I should start exercising when I start to get hungry. Thanks again.

I havent had my surgery yet, so I cant help you out with any information or advice on that. But I was told from my doctor if its night time and you start getting hungry or get the munchies, then just have a glass of Water and go to bed. Sometimes it works, but then sometimes it doesnt. I think the exercising would also help out with that to. It certenly couldnt hurt. ~lol~