Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I be stalled at 10 days post surgery

I am so frustrated this morning. As if yesterday morning wasn't bad enough when I weighed and the scales had not moved - this morning I got on and they still haven't moved. (I lost 15 pounds in the first 8 days) I am only 10 days post surgery and it seems I have already hit a stall and I don't understand. I am still on liquids and barely consuming anything. This week I have tried to add in a little more Protein via sipping two Protein drinks throughout the day - (160 calories each and 1 gram of sugar) - I have added a little greek yogurt, and sugar free Jello as well..... (about a tablespoon a couple times a day).... Plus I am trying to increase my walking each day - yesterday my Fitbit registered just over 6500 steps...... I don't get it. How can I possibly not be losing? It just doesn't make sense to me...and very hard to wrap my head around mentally. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Your body is healing. Your caloric intake is so low your body will go into starvation mode-your metabolic rate slows as well. Hang in there. I just got over a 17 day stall at 6 weeks post op. It will go down, have patience. Good luck!

I am only 4 days post op and when I weighed myself today I was only down 4lbs from surgery day. I know it is baffling and I cannot imagine that the pounds are not just disappearing but with all that said I also feel like I need to say RELAX! Two days without a drop can not be considered a stall and instead of focusing on wrapping your head around the "lack" of weightloss you could use this time to focus on letting your body heal. Please don't set yourself up for unreasonable expectations and therefore disappointment.

You lost 15 lbs in 8 days !! This is your body regrouping. It's trying to figure out what just happened. This is completely normal and expected. Focus on recovery and not weight loss the first month.

You're doing fine. You likely hit your 3 week stall a little early. I did too and it lasted about 2.5 weeks. Focus on getting in more Protein every day and increasing your Water. It is frustrating and if you did a poll on this site I am willing to bet 97% of everyone hit the same stall and felt exactly the same way. You are normal, just keep following your plan and the scale will move again.

I'm not post op but I'm confused on how no weight lost in 2 days is a stall. I guess I see it as a 15 pound loss in 10 days which is awsome! I'm assuming you weigh every day. Maybe you should cut that down to weekly, for all you know within the next 4 days you may lose 6 pounds...and if you only weighed once a week, you wouldn't notice "days" that there is no weight lost and probably wouldn't be freaking out at the moment.

Don't stress I think you're doing great!

I said the same thing this morning. I'm 11 days P-O. Returned to the gym for the first time last night since surgery and again this morning. I lost 10lbs last week and thought...hmm must have hit the 3 week stall early!!! Man. The calories I burned last night were more than I consumed. So I basically did not eat yesterday.

I've always wondered about starvation after the surgery. How is that supposed to help aid is in weightless. Keep up the good work!!! I never thought I could survive this long on liquids and almost caved (a few times). I'm chugging along and determined to get to a size I've never seen!!!

Edited by nunya-got-sleeved

There is no such thing as starvation mode. Just keep doing what you're doing. Your body needs to take time out to adjust after a big loss but you will keep losing as long as you burn more than you consume.

Actually there is something called starvation mode. I actually had my two week post op today and met with my surgeon and nutritionist and they brought up starvation mode when I complained about my stop in weight loss. When you workout you gain muscle so that causes the stall and possible weight gain of a couple pounds before you actually start losing weight. Don't add to or take away from your diet with consulting your team first. Trust me that's what I did and I am medical for over 15yrs. Just keep following your diet and you will get past this no problem. By the way 15lbs is awesome congrats. Remember the small victories and don't be discouraged

Yes it's possible to gain when working out as your muscles swell and hold Water, but there is no such thing as starvation mode. This was proven in the Minnesota starvation experiment years ago. If it existed, anorexics would not be able to literally starve do death.

Here is what I was referencing related to starvation mode-reduction in metabolism due to lack of food-not starving to death...post-33855-14317344204123_thumb.jpg

Edited by innwtitdtity

Here is the thing. The way a stall has been defined to me by medical personal is: NO weight loss for a minimum of 10 to 14 days and can last for a significant period of time.

It is your body taking a break or regrouping. If you continue to follow the plan the weight will start to drop off again.

If the scale is going to make you worry or panic it might be a good idea not to weigh daily or even weekly.

I happen to be a daily weigher and have learned to not pay any attention when I get a stall. If I happen to stall for a long period of time,(my longest was 3 weeks long) I will choose whether or not I can handle getting on the scale every day. So far, I have coped with it.

In future months as you get closer to your goal, you will find that the loss slows down considerably. For example, in the last 4 weeks I have only lost 5lbs and I have worked my butt off. The good news is, I am still losing and not gaining.

Also, the slower you lose the less likely to deal with as much excess skin.

The best advice anyone can give you is to take a deep breath and continue to follow the plan. You are really doing fantastic! Look how much you have lost in such a short amount of time.

Sounds like we had surgery the same day and also hit a 2 day snag. Frustrating to say the least. scales moved again this morning, so I'm sure yours will too!!!! Hang in there. I finally got my first, "something's different about you". I knew it was that my face is a bit thinner, but they didn't know I had surgery. Just happy somebody noticed something. Motivation.

I stalled at around the same time as you, and I actually gained 5 pounds from my lowest weight. It took me almost 3 weeks to get back to where I was seeing actual weight loss. I definitely did stall, but I had lost 30 pounds since I started the preop diet. My surgeon told me that my body was reacting to the fact that I went from over 3000 calories a day of high-fat, high-carb foods to 500-700 calories a day of Protein. Made sense to me. I also reached out on the forum and I was told the same thing-don't worry about it so early on. I am now losing steadily again, thank goodness. I just followed the requirements for each stage I was in (I am still in the soft foods phase) and I keep my carbs below 25 grams a day. It reminds me of when I was on the Adkins diet, but without the bacon, lol. :)

I also got severely constipated during the same time frame so I blame some of the weight "gain" on my body reacting to that. Turns out I cannot handle the Iron in 2 Flintstones Vitamins a day.

Well today is a new day..... I truly appreciate everyone's reply yesterday, and as much as I knew the answer, it was reassuring to hear that there was nothing I was doing wrong, except getting a little anxious. I think I just had a lot of emotions build up and needed to vent some out. I am going to try not to weigh every day, which will be extremely hard - lol.... I guess after reading about other's weight loss success after surgery, once I had my own surgery, it's only natural to want to see the results as well.......and want to see them daily ????. Thanks again.......have a wonderful weekend!!!!