Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Milton Owens - Anyone used Dr Lopez/Dr Owens team?

Hi guys I just received info from the local doctor I have been looking into. Dr Owens is local to me, which makes fills much easier and a doctor local for any problems. I cant afford his local rate of $17,000 but the info sent to me says he has a Dr. Lopez in MX who he teams with and you have surgery there and all fills in the local office (fills included for one year) for $9000. I am considerling Dr Ortiz, but with a local doctor to follow me I like the sound of this.

Any stories of the good ol Dr Lopez??? Any suggestions or nifo would be great! Thanks

I dont know Dr. Lopez. i have heard mixed reviews on here. i know that dr. huacuz and dr. kuri are two of the top surgeons. Dr. Ortiz also, he wrote a book on the lapband. dr. huacuz is my doctor. i have only great things to say. just call around and talk to the doctors. check out the websites and check with other patients that went to them. i of course am reccommend dr huacuz because he did my surgery and i have lost 105lbs, it will be two years for me in november. i feel super and look great. hope you find someone that you feel good about and will be as pleased as i am. let us know how you do. just dont rush to lose the weight. heal up and take it slow. you will lose the weight. time flies by and the next thing you know your planning your Tummy Tuck. cheers.

I am being banded on 7/26 by Dr. Lopez Corvala. There are alot of mixed reviews about him and this board which did really start to worry me so I start looking around more about his expertise. I have contacted several people that have had the banding down by him and they all have wonderful things to say about the whole experience. You can call the hospital and as about the doctor do a search on the internet under his name. I did this and I was amazed on how many sites came up with all the expertise that he has. Just do your homework and you should be fine. I do understand that some people may have had a bad experience with the doctor but I think it really depends on your health going into it, how you follow what you are told to do. But honestly if you look around at any doctor anywhere in the world I am sure you will find at least 1 unhappy person with their doctor.

Good luck in your search.

I am being banded on 7/26 by Dr. Lopez Corvala. There are alot of mixed reviews about him and this board which did really start to worry me so I start looking around more about his expertise. I have contacted several people that have had the banding down by him and they all have wonderful things to say about the whole experience. You can call the hospital and as about the doctor do a search on the internet under his name. I did this and I was amazed on how many sites came up with all the expertise that he has. Just do your homework and you should be fine. I do understand that some people may have had a bad experience with the doctor but I think it really depends on your health going into it, how you follow what you are told to do. But honestly if you look around at any doctor anywhere in the world I am sure you will find at least 1 unhappy person with their doctor.

I feel pretty condfident with the fact that Dr Owens is doing the surgery just assisted my Dr Lopez. Dr. Owens has done I beleive almost 500 in the states here. I am confident in him! I will ask more about Dr Lopez... problem is there is 2 or 3 different Lopez docs in mX....

I forgot to wish you luck Chrissy. I will keep you in my prayers and alook foward to hearing how it all goes!:clap2:

I was banded by Dr. Lopez Corvala. Had nothing but complications from the beginning. He didn't do follow up with me when I ran into issues about two months into the surgery unrelated to eating or following band rules. I had an infection that was not followed up by him after repeated phone calls to his office. My tubing almost protruded through my abdomen to the outside of my body because he screwed up the initial surgery. Mind you this was over two years ago so things might have been settled now.

There were at least 4 of us on here that were all banded by the good Dr Lopez with a month of each other and we all had to have our bands removed due to erosion. My band surgeon that removed the band for me told me that he suspected a misplaced stitch during the initial surgery caused the erosion.

So beware of going to MEXICO for any surgery because there is NO recourse for botched surgeries, they don't have to follow US standards of care, some US docs won't touch MX patients, if you have complications then you have to come to the states to get adequate care, etc. Just be a cautious patient and ask lots of questions prior to surgery.

I was banded by Dr. Lopez Corvala. Had nothing but complications from the beginning. He didn't do follow up with me when I ran into issues about two months into the surgery unrelated to eating or following band rules. I had an infection that was not followed up by him after repeated phone calls to his office. My tubing almost protruded through my abdomen to the outside of my body because he screwed up the initial surgery. Mind you this was over two years ago so things might have been settled now.

There were at least 4 of us on here that were all banded by the good Dr Lopez with a month of each other and we all had to have our bands removed due to erosion. My band surgeon that removed the band for me told me that he suspected a misplaced stitch during the initial surgery caused the erosion.

So beware of going to Mexico for any surgery because there is NO recourse for botched surgeries, they don't have to follow US standards of care, some US docs won't touch MX patients, if you have complications then you have to come to the states to get adequate care, etc. Just be a cautious patient and ask lots of questions prior to surgery.

Penni thanks for sharing. I have read alot of your postings and even pm'd you. I do respect your opinions. I will say that the only reason I am even considering the surgery there is because Dr Owens does it with him and then follows you up here in LA. Allows me the cheaper price for cash surgery but yet the close USA follow up care. BUT the better news is I might be getting insurance approval which means surgery here by Dr Owens in a local hospital.... :clap2:

Well I am finally back. I had my banding by Dr. Corvala in MX. and everything went great. I am back at work today and feeling fine. A little pain in the neck area but I think that was more of how I was sleeping out there. I meet with Dr. Corvala twice and I have to say he was one of the most friendliest people. Everyone out there was. The Belite women came down and saw both me and my mother twice while we were staying in the hospital to just see how things were going and to see if we needed anything. They even called the day we left the hotel to come home to just make sure we were doing good and again if they could get us anything before we left for the airport. The language was a little bit of a problem with the nurses but they figured out the important things like more meds :) I thought the whole experience was very good from contacting Belite to getting down there and back. All the staff that was in the surgery room could not have been nicer trying to make me feel comfortable. I am glad it is over but very happy the way it went.

Well I am finally back. I had my banding by Dr. Corvala in MX. and everything went great. I am back at work today and feeling fine. A little pain in the neck area but I think that was more of how I was sleeping out there. I meet with Dr. Corvala twice and I have to say he was one of the most friendliest people. Everyone out there was. The Belite women came down and saw both me and my mother twice while we were staying in the hospital to just see how things were going and to see if we needed anything. They even called the day we left the hotel to come home to just make sure we were doing good and again if they could get us anything before we left for the airport. The language was a little bit of a problem with the nurses but they figured out the important things like more meds :D I thought the whole experience was very good from contacting Belite to getting down there and back. All the staff that was in the surgery room could not have been nicer trying to make me feel comfortable. I am glad it is over but very happy the way it went.

Congrats on a successful surgery. I am anxiously awaiting more details to your healing over the next few weeks. Hang tough!:clap2: