Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I came across an interesting article that discusses the different types of low calorie sweeteners and their effects on weight management and blood glucose control. Prior to my RNY surgery, I had Type II diabetes most likely caused by my sweet tooth. I am 2 years post-op and my diabetes has been in remission since surgery. So I consider this to be an important topic.

http://www.foodinsight.org/Content/5438/Final%20Revised_Sweet%20Taste%20Handout_9-2012.pdf

I'm an equal fan cannot drink tea or coffee without it.

I like Stevia the best. I pretty much only use artificial sweetner in my coffee, but I don't trust or like Aspartame at all. Stevia has a little different taste to it, but I got used to it easily. I like that it is a natural sweetener.

I steer completely clear of artificial sweeteners as they cause Migraines in people prone to migraines. That would be me!

So much improved now since my surgery.

low calorie sweeteners, effects on weight management, blood glucose

@@James Marusek

thanx for sharing this good article :)

many people say sweetners aren't good for you :(

i use pink sweet 'n low

works for me :)

2 years PO

110 lbs down!!!

GOAL :)

keep up the good job for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life :)

you are aces dude :)

kathy

congrats

Me too! I use Splenda and I'm down almost 80 lbs in a little over 5 months. I guess it Affects people differently.

I call BS on the part that says research has shown artificial sweeteners do not cause increases in blood sugar. As I've been trying to use low carb dieting over the last several years for weight loss I experimented with various art. sweeteners and I have found many many people on different forums who have problems with their blood sugar on them, as I do. Now, since WLS puts diabetes in remission very quickly and you are no longer insulin resistant, that may change afterward. I am still pre-op, and splenda and equal both increase my blood sugar and then it drops rapidly just like after regular sugar. I am not diabetic, "only" prediabetic. I have not checked it with stevia, as I've never been able to find a stevia product that tasted right to me. In addition, when I cut out all art. sweeteners for 3 weeks, my sugar cravings disappeared much quicker than when I did Atkins and used SF products daily. YMMV

I think it's great to have options for occasional use but I don't think they should be an everyday part of one's diet.

I call BS on the part that says research has shown artificial sweeteners do not cause increases in blood sugar. As I've been trying to use low carb dieting over the last several years for weight loss I experimented with various art. sweeteners and I have found many many people on different forums who have problems with their blood sugar on them, as I do. Now, since WLS puts diabetes in remission very quickly and you are no longer insulin resistant, that may change afterward. I am still pre-op, and splenda and equal both increase my blood sugar and then it drops rapidly just like after regular sugar. I am not diabetic, "only" prediabetic. I have not checked it with stevia, as I've never been able to find a stevia product that tasted right to me. In addition, when I cut out all art. sweeteners for 3 weeks, my sugar cravings disappeared much quicker than when I did Atkins and used SF products daily. YMMV

I think it's great to have options for occasional use but I don't think they should be an everyday part of one's diet.

That has not been my experience. I was diabetic and on medication for several years before surgery. I monitored my blood sugar levels daily and the medication was barely controlling my diabetes. After surgery, my Type II diabetes was in remission. I tested it routinely about once per month. I am 2 years post-op from RNY.

Processed sugars permeate most of the foods we eat. For example a serving of orange juice (from concentrate) can contain 24 grams of added process sugar. Even a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup uses significant amounts of processed sugars in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup. The salad dressing used at Olive Garden uses approximately 2 tablespoons of corn syrup (per cup). I try to limit my process sugars to a maximum of 2 grams. I do not limit my natural sugars (such as found in fruits), my artificial sweeteners (such as Splenda), nor my low calorie natural sweeteners (such as Stevia). And thus far I see no increase in blood sugar levels. But I suspect the major driver is my efforts to control processed sugar intake.

As I said, YMMV. I would just recommend everyone actually check their blood sugars when using artificial sweeteners to find out.

I totally agree about the processed sugars in most commercial foods, which is why I avoid most of them :)

I like Stevia the best. I pretty much only use artificial sweetner in my coffee, but I don't trust or like Aspartame at all. Stevia has a little different taste to it, but I got used to it easily. I like that it is a natural sweetener.

I like Stevia but it gives me HORRIBLE tummy aches!!

I've tried to like Stevia but I just can't do it! That weird after-taste just turns me off. I used to drink black coffee or tea, no sugar. I quit coffee about 11 years ago because I realised I was drinking too much (about 20 a day, double espressos!) I went cold turkey, around the same time as I quit smoking. And can I just say, quitting cigarettes was easier! I used to dream about coffee and would wake up thinking I could smell freshly brewed coffee ... mmmm

Anyway, I fell of the coffee wagon about four years ago but was limiting myself to three or four a week. Then, when I was diagnosed with a heart condition, I had to quit caffeine for a while. I tried Decaf black tea and it was awful (and yes, I know green tea is good for us but I can't stand the stuff). Then I discovered decaf coffee is quite nice these days ... in fact, it actually tastes like coffee! I took up coffee again but decided to try drinking flat whites or lattes to boost my Calcium levels (I'm not a fan of milk so don't drink it as a rule). However, with milk I needed something to sweeten it, so embarked on a journey to find a sweetener that didn't taste like earwax. For me, the pick of them is Splenda (yellow packet) ... with aspartame a second choice. I know, I know, half the world will tell you it gives rats cancer and turns your poos into something nasty, but most of the bad press has actually been disproved and to get the nasty tummy situation, you need to be chugging down a lot of it, not the three decaffeinated coffees a day I have.