Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thru hikes long section hike advice PCT or AT

I love long hikes I do section hikes up to 14 days at a time on the trail! I don't imagine I'll be able to eat my granola bars after my sleeve (June 8th)! Anyone done section or thru hikes have any tips!?? I am going to wait a good 4-5 months post sleeve to attempt a long hike but am researching any tips will be appreciated!

Edited by alindsey

I see no reason why you can't eat granola bars a few months post-op while thru-hiking. When expending that many calories you're certainly going to need significant energy / carbs--a lot more than other WLS patients.

However, you're also going to have to figure out how to get your Protein in. For hikes of only 3-4 days at a time (I assume you actually have a job / a real life back in town) you could probably handle that with Jerky, Protein Bars and Protein powder.

But if you're expecting to do the entire Appalachian Trail just a few months after WLS, then IMHO you should reconsider the timing of both projects. Your body will need a lot of good nutrition, including "real food," to recover well from WLS and the massive weight loss we all experience post-op.

I see no reason why you can't eat granola bars a few months post-op while thru-hiking. When expending that many calories you're certainly going to need significant energy / carbs--a lot more than other WLS patients.

However, you're also going to have to figure out how to get your Protein in. For hikes of only 3-4 days at a time (I assume you actually have a job / a real life back in town) you could probably handle that with Jerky, Protein Bars and Protein Powder.

But if you're expecting to do the entire Appalachian Trail just a few months after WLS, then IMHO you should reconsider the timing of both projects. Your body will need a lot of good nutrition, including "real food," to recover well from WLS and the massive weight loss we all experience post-op.

No not the entire trail just 14 day sections usually is what I prefer! Protein powder in oatmeal is a good idea. I didn't think about the protein powders, thx

You will be able to...give your self time.

I went backpacking three months after my surgery and had NO problems, and it was amazing doing it just that much lighter too! So good for you, and I'm jealous of the freedom to do 14 days at a time. Ours was 4 days, and i took Protein powder (Chike coffee flavor) my morning Breakfast, baby bel cheeses, summer sausage, Jerky, packets of natural almond butter and Peanut Butter and some freeze dried foods like eggs and a few dinners. DOing two more trips this summer and will make more of our own dinners since i want more Protein than the packaged stuff has. I focused more on protein than carbs, since I've learned i don't need carbs nearly as much as so many exercise gurus say we do, and protein makes the most helpful difference in my energy. I did have 'gorp' (small daily baggie) and granola bars (once) and did really well.

Good luck and have fun planning it!