Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fish tastes funny post surgery

Hi guys,

For some reason all fresh fish except shellfish tastes like soft egg yolk, its kind of disgusting.... I never had this problem before. I pan fry them using pam oil... Any one facing this?

Any ideas on cooking methods that can help mitigate the unpleasant taste?

I am 4 days short of of being 2 month post op.

Waiting to hear your ideas.. :)

Edited by Soma

I'm right at 6 mos. post-op and still haven't tried fish or popcorn yet. My new tummy has been tolerating everything else I've eaten rather well, as long as I don't eat too fast or too much. Slow and easy and really small bites chewed well are still the way to go.

Wish I had some ideas for you for cooking your fish. My only thought is to not eat it for awhile and see if your taste buds accept it better down the road. And maybe eat canned tuna instead.

Good luck! I'm sure someone out there will have some ideas for you.

Everything tasted "off" to me after surgery, until I got off most of my meds. Once my life settled in to a new mormal, food tasted better. Also, I was so used to food tasting like salt, sugar and grease, that I had no idea what the food itself tasted like.

Now that I am in my 16th month, it's the salty, sugary, greasy stuff that tastes weird. Yesterday and today I am Eagle Ridge Resort in Galena Illinois as a "plus one" on my boyfriend's business seminar. I was able to serve myself buffet meats and veggies, but today there was applie pie with lunch and I had not had apple lie for over two years. Well, I am so used to fresh apples now, that I nearly gagged on the syrupy sweetness of the pie and ended up just scraping a couple of bites without the crust. Boy, has my life changed!

I haven't noticed a change to fish, but I was a big coffee drinker prior to surger at least 4 cups/day. Now I have no desire, except following a dinner out with my hubby last Friday I kinda wanted some or so I thought. I took 2 sips and ewww...it just didn't taste good at all! Crazy...it still smells good but I just don't want it. I also really don't crave sweets either.

I generally grill my fish. Mostly because I don't like the house smelling fishy. I usually grill salmon or mahi mahi. There are some great receipes on pinterest. One of my favorites is a spice grilled salmon with avocado.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/257901516136176465/

You could also poach tilapia or turbot in dry white wine, a little butter, lemon and capers.

Salmon cakes/patties are pretty yummy too!

I love to cook Tilapia in a skillet with some lemon pepper. I also like it with a Cajun Blackening seasoning.