Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a buddy with lower pre op BMI

I'm low BMI also. BMI is a 37.5 but I have comorbidities (HBP, sleep apnea, GERD, joint pain) and im also hypothyroid. My family and friends have given me a slew of "you're not big enough" comments. Im tired of losing and regaining plus id love for my comorbidities to go away after surgery.

My bmi is 35 now was 33 lost using adipex when I quit using them weight came back.I'm fighting my insurance cause my coordinator turned my paperwork to early.My insurance denied me cause of bmi 33 ,lack of information. Now my bmi 36 I'm pissed.But I'm going to appeal.I have high Bp,high cholesterol,high tricy,pcos,depression,anixy,arthritis and I can't forget diabetes. You name it i have it.People also tell me"You don't need surgery ,your not that big"I got tired of hearing that.I'm proud I have someone to talk too:)I think they call us

LIGHTWEIGHTS. LOL

I've lost 20 lbs and one pants size PRE-OP so far and I feel amazing. I put on a bathingsuit yesterday and my husband and one friend who both know I'm having the surgery said "you don't need the surgery, I do". Lol! I'm still doing it though. My surgery is in 37 days!!! I never thought I would loose weight on my own I feel very motivated knowing I'm going to be helped and it's going to stay off for once!!

Hey Everyone!

I am pre-op and scheduled for 6/3/15. I have had all my pre-op testing done and all Dr.'s recommend I get it. Most people think I don't need it, my BMI is 35. My Dr. said don't lose any more weight!!! My husband had a DS and Sleeve 8/13 and is doing great so he is very supportive. My problem is, I am confused about the info for the various procedures! You can eat this, you can't eat that.......... His restrictions are not the same, I keep hearing about RNY restrictions, etc. I guess I just need it spelled out for me since I have been to so many support meeting, heard so much and now it is a bit of a jumble in my brain! Does anyone know a place to find JUST sleeve info?

Waiting on the insurance co. to say "yes" is sooo hard. We should know by 5/28 or 29........

I would love to have some "sleeve buddies"!!!!!!!!

@@RobinRg have you checked bariatric-surgery-source.com? Talks about all the procedures there. Also, if you Google vsg diet it should pull up all kinds of sources on what you can eat and the various stages. Lots of bariatric programs put out documents on that. I opted for a sleeve due to struggles with my weight all my life, and worsening medical issues (apnea, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes). I did it to SAVE MY LIFE. 35 BMI is considered morbidly obese by most standards, so I'm not sure why your PCP is telling you NOT to lose weight?? Do this for YOU. So glad you have a supportive DH :) If you need more support, this is an awesome site, really. Ask away, vent, whatever..everyone here is great! Good luck!

I had a bmi of 34 when I had my surgery on May 1st. I had mine done in mexico. I was borderline high BP and sleep apnea. My family history is a lot of BP, cholesterol, diabetes and heart disease so I wanted to avoid that bc I knew it was coming. I was always small when I was younger. I got pregnant and gained almost 80 pounds. Two pregnancies later and like all of you I was the one avoiding pictures and if I had to be in one I was hiding. My husband is the only one who knows I've had the surgery. Everyone else seems to think I could do it in my own. I took adipex for 4 months and lost 50 Pounds. I felt great but the second I stopped taking it I gained it all plus some back. If I did even bring the subject up to any of my friends just to ask what they thought about the surgery I would hear you're not fat enough for that. Really? So I thought long and hard and made the decision to do it for me and my kids. I want to be healthier and happier. As far as everyone else thinks I am on a diet and taking adipex again to lose it. It's been a easier than expected recovery so far. I am on the all liquid phase now and I can only get 4-6 ounces down at a time. It's definately a change but I've already lost 12 pounds in 11 days. Good luck!

Edited by sleeve32

I would love to have low BMI friends! I just got on this site and your stories echo mine. I'm 34 BMI and my sleeve surgery is scheduled June 3rd!

I'm trying to figure this site out. Some one help, how do create a post? I need to some advise on choosing which procedure to go with my dr said I qualify for either or and its up to me. Ugh

@@RobinRg have you checked bariatric-surgery-source.com? Talks about all the procedures there. Also, if you Google vsg diet it should pull up all kinds of sources on what you can eat and the various stages. Lots of bariatric programs put out documents on that. I opted for a sleeve due to struggles with my weight all my life, and worsening medical issues (apnea, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes). I did it to SAVE MY LIFE. 35 BMI is considered morbidly obese by most standards, so I'm not sure why your PCP is telling you NOT to lose weight?? Do this for YOU. So glad you have a supportive DH :) If you need more support, this is an awesome site, really. Ask away, vent, whatever..everyone here is great! Good luck!

Thanks for your quick response. I'm doing it for my health, I currently take meds for HBP, diabetes and I have sleep apnea. My BMI is 37.3 my husband had the gastric bypass and lost over 120 pounds in a year and is doing great with the exception he had to stop drinking for good

Brandnewme2015 and everyone !!!!!!!

Thanks for the responses! My PCP was not the one who said don't lose more weight, it was my Bariatric Dr. He is concerned my BMI will go down too much and the insurance will then become a problem.....

I am a planner and I sssooooo want to go out and pick up all the Protein Drinks, etc. I will need but I keep hearing don't do it, you tastes may change and you could end up not liking them! I feel like I need to be doing something toward my surgery,......

I would love to have low BMI friends! I just got on this site and your stories echo mine. I'm 34 BMI and my sleeve surgery is scheduled June 3rd!

Good luck!! Let us know your progress and if you need support we I will be here!

I'm low BMI also. BMI is a 37.5 but I have comorbidities (HBP, sleep apnea, GERD, joint pain) and im also hypothyroid. My family and friends have given me a slew of "you're not big enough" comments. Im tired of losing and regaining plus id love for my comorbidities to go away after surgery.

BMI of 35 when I started this journey, now I'm at 36.9. It's a shame that we know better than anyone else all of our underlying issues and why we chose to finally take the surgery route. But it's undeniable, at least for me, that I feel guilty whenever I hear "you're not that fat" or "you don't need surgery" because society has conditioned us to believe that it's only the weight that matters and that if we're not over 300lbs then we shouldn't "need" surgery. That unless we're on our way to needing a rascal to get around that we're taking the easy way out. My support has been mainly you all here and the weight loss community on YouTube. I dread walking into an actual face to face support group for fear I will be judged as "that skinny b*#ch".

I have a bmi of 34.9 now but the last 5 yes it was 37.I recently tried adipex lost a few pounds put me under 35.The adipex quit working now I'm gaining weight.When decided to get the sleeve now my bmi is too low.Will Cigna still cover my surgery? I know they cover weight loss.Was denied when my doctors nurse submitted without all my information. She told me she was precerfifing make sure it covered it but Cigna said they denied me IM CONFUSED.Someone please give me some advice.I told u my bmi low also I have high bp,diabetes,pcos,high chol,high tricycles, and artirisits.