Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my life ruined for ever due to my weight loss surgery?

I think something is too tight! They check with a ctscan, contrast X-ray etc, couple weeks ago and said all is well. The X-ray doctor told me there is no stricture but it's very tight in there. On Wednesday I'm going to see the doctor I'm going to ask if he can enlarge the passage or the pouch I honestly can't live this way.

I think something is too tight! They check with a ctscan, contrast X-ray etc, couple weeks ago and said all is well. The X-ray doctor told me there is no stricture but it's very tight in there. On Wednesday I'm going to see the doctor I'm going to ask if he can enlarge the passage or the pouch I honestly can't live this way.

I am glad you are going to see your doctor. Remember you are the customer! He should provide treatment and/or medication to assist you. Keep in mind that your stomach remains swollen for a while as your are healing after surgery. So, your stomach will seem to "enlarge" as you heal naturally. At seven weeks, it is still early in the process. I remember feeling impatient that I was not feeling better at two months. I know it feels like an eternity. It is going to get better. At almost five months and 84 pounds lighter, I am very glad I made this choice.

Good luck!

Also I think I'm having a food withdrawal, I cry for hrs today like if someone die. I'm homesick and usually I would be cooking and eating all my grandma and mom dishes just to smell my mother kitchen. My family is mile and miles away. Need to find another " addiction" soon. I'll meet with a therapist for the first time on Tuesday. I hope she can help me. How did you guys substitute food addiction?

My doctor prescribed me some Lansoprazole (30mg) packs, these are supposed to help you in the first few weeks to manage your stomach acids and other related complications, ask your doctor if they might help.

Omeprazole (or Prilosec) keeps the stomach acid levels down. It is good if you suffered from GERD.

One of the individuals in our Bariatric Surgery Support Meeting group had a revision from a Lap Band to RNY. He had quite a bit of scaring from the Lap Band and as a result when they sewed up his pouch, it was smaller than most. This restricted his food intake at the beginning until he allowed his pouch to grow a little.

I don't know if you'll believe me or not but the answer to what do you substitute for the food addiction - is you don't. This is such a hard phase you are going thru. I have complete sympathy and understanding for the way you feel.

Right now it seems like it will be forever until you have some sort of normal life and normal way of eating. Its not forever though. Its actually a very short time in the big scheme of things.

That knowledge doesn't make it easier though. Its hard to adapt to this new way of doing things. But you will. You will look back on this day and smile. That day isn't today - I realize that.

As hard as it sounds, don't try to find a substitute to feed your habit. food. That was my habit too. Its the reason we are here and the reason it became necessary to have an operation to fight it. You don't need a substitute. You need to take the time to really understand your issues and find a way to overcome them.

You probably won't be doing any soul-searching today on this matter - I know. But you will and you are going to be just fine. In fact you will be better than ever before and when you look in the mirror at the new person you've become, both inside and out, you'll know that your substitute came from inside yourself. You can do this:)

I don't know if you'll believe me or not but the answer to what do you substitute for the food addiction - is you don't. This is such a hard phase you are going thru. I have complete sympathy and understanding for the way you feel.

Right now it seems like it will be forever until you have some sort of normal life and normal way of eating. Its not forever though. Its actually a very short time in the big scheme of things.

That knowledge doesn't make it easier though. Its hard to adapt to this new way of doing things. But you will. You will look back on this day and smile. That day isn't today - I realize that.

As hard as it sounds, don't try to find a substitute to feed your habit. food. That was my habit too. Its the reason we are here and the reason it became necessary to have an operation to fight it. You don't need a substitute. You need to take the time to really understand your issues and find a way to overcome them.

You probably won't be doing any soul-searching today on this matter - I know. But you will and you are going to be just fine. In fact you will be better than ever before and when you look in the mirror at the new person you've become, both inside and out, you'll know that your substitute came from inside yourself. You can do this:)

Thank you so much for your kind words. I never understood what's my issue. I come from a very lovely family, I have a great husband and kids. I have no real major issues. But you are right I need to do some soul searching. I'm going to start therapist visits maybe I can finally come out of this fog. Thank you so much again!

I had Gastric Bypass (RNY) Surgery on 3/16/15 and I'm very worried about my eating problems. When I eat a gas pain starts and it's very painful until I finally burp it out with vomit of gastric liquids. 2 -4 times then finally pain goes away. Pretty much I can't eat anything. I'm on Protein crunch bars, and Protein pudding. When I try food it's in very small portions, and distance bites between 3-5 min each small bite. I feel like I'm going crazy and very worried about my health. Doctor check for stricture and everything is fine. I take omeprazole and carafate twice a day. I'm regretting this surgery big time. This was a stupid idea. But there is not way out. I'm so mad at myself

Are you drinking and eating sugar free foods? This was my issue with having a lot of nausea and gas pains. Once I stopped eating sugar free my eating ability improved drastically. I also could not consume a lot of artificial protein, such as Protein shakes or some bars.

It is my advice to try to eat real foods over the artificial stuff, that could help to alleviate the gas and nausea.

Also I think I'm having a food withdrawal, I cry for hrs today like if someone die. I'm homesick and usually I would be cooking and eating all my grandma and mom dishes just to smell my mother kitchen. My family is mile and miles away. Need to find another " addiction" soon. I'll meet with a therapist for the first time on Tuesday. I hope she can help me. How did you guys substitute food addiction?

So many of us have made food our " friend" and being so restricted from our "friend" can be very difficult. But, this process will require you to find a new crutch. Food is not and never has been a friend, it is a tool that needs to used right in or to live a long healthy life.

I think seeing a therapist will help you tremendously. Also, finding new hobbies that take your mind off of food, will help you as well.

It is a slow process. Be patient with yourself and your body.

My first few months was awful mentally emotionally and my tummy was tiny. Took 4 or so months to get in 3 or 4 bites which i didn't care of the amount i knew going into this the reason so it was doing exactly what it was meant to do. I have had 12 yrs of therapy. And the last 2 yrs of it was the biggest for me ..the biggest break thru. food was my friend, my comfort, it didn't talk back and it didn't hurt me emotionally but in all actuality it did affect me. My brain depended on the brain chemicals the sugar and junk released and i was addicted and it caused all sorts of diseases and health issues. I became bulemic. The first month or 2 alot of hormones are being released from fat loss. I was bitchy, grouchy i cried at the drop of a bucket. My emotions were all over the place. I understand. As mentioned earlier getting to the root of addictions are vital in order to own take responsibility and deal with and change. I am 10 months out ..6 months was my great turning point. Takes 6 months to heal inside properly according to my internist.

I understand. But your still early on and your having what i would think normal thoughts at least i relate but believe me you'll change your mind. Hang in there and its a good idea to talk to a prefessional. Not good idea to replace one addiction for another. Best wishes..

Thank you for all the responses, I'm worry for my health because I can't eat or drink without pain. And I'm fixated on those 60-80 gr Protein a day. On week 3 I was able to get about 40-50 eating small amounts, small bites, long chewing tuna, salmon, tofu, Parmesan cheese, egg white, fat free refried Beans, etc. since week 4 pain and vomiting. I'm hoping to get an answer from my surgeon, I need to rule out stricture. They did X-ray with liquid, ct scan, blood work etc couple weeks ago and said no stricture but I heard endoscopy is need it to really see.

At week 3-4 I couldn't even pass tuna... blended tuna, my esophagus was still healing from the tube they put in, after week 5-6 I could eat "normally", food doesn't get stuck on my throat anymore unless I take a huge bite out of things or if I take a huge Multivitamin, nibbling would be good in your case, that's what I did, and don't worry it won't be forever like this, give time some time and you will feel better but keep following up with your doctor and have him go through with you every step of the way to rule out any complication.

What helped me through this was to get some of those Minestrone condensed Soups that Campbell makes and blend them, they have Beans and other good stuff that will help you feel satiated.

i'm newly sleeved, but it seems you're progressing too fast! based on what I've read and i did a lot of research before i agreed to this surgery, you should still be eating soft or pureed foods. i know different Drs have different methods, but go slow. it will get better.

@@foodfighter78

I had the gastric sleeve and i had a very painful couple weeks a while ago and it turned out to be esophogeal spasms. It was so painful. I had to get a spasm surpressant but have not used it now cause they finally went away by themselves. I wonder if that might be your culprit. i would also equate it to gas pains.