Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my life ruined for ever due to my weight loss surgery?

I had Gastric Bypass (RNY) Surgery on 3/16/15 and I'm very worried about my eating problems. When I eat a gas pain starts and it's very painful until I finally burp it out with vomit of gastric liquids. 2 -4 times then finally pain goes away. Pretty much I can't eat anything. I'm on Protein crunch bars, and Protein pudding. When I try food it's in very small portions, and distance bites between 3-5 min each small bite. I feel like I'm going crazy and very worried about my health. Doctor check for stricture and everything is fine. I take omeprazole and carafate twice a day. I'm regretting this surgery big time. This was a stupid idea. But there is not way out. I'm so mad at myself

I hate to say this but have you tried going back to liquids and starting the phases over? I have read on this site as well as others that sometimes it takes some people longer to heal than others. Your new tummy might just need a little more time.

I would try going back to full liquids phase for a week. If you start feeling better then try introducing soft foods back into your diet one at a time.

I was probably 8 weeks post op before I could eat anything remotely crunchy. If you are not healed, this could be part of the problem.

This is just my opinion as I did not have the experience you are talking about unless I was pushing things into my diet too fast.

I definately get nauseous and pain when I eat things that are too dry like bread or dry meat. For the most part I don't have issues with any other foods besides bread and eggs.

CHEW CHEW CHEW!!!!! They say it for a reason...it breaks down the food to a more manageable size for your new tummy, it forces you to slow down your eating, allowing the tummy to take what it can in, at it's own pace. Remember NOT to drink, my dietician says for 30 minutes BEFORE and for another 30 minutes AFTER eating. NO LIQUIDS! Slow and easy, that's the ticket!

I agree with Djmohr. The first couple months is all about healing. That should be your number one concern. It was a long time before I could eat anything. I lived off of Soups, puddings....etc. Soup is still my goto food.There is still a lot of things I can't eat. Everything has to be moist and I can usually tell with a couple of bites if my stomach is going to tolerate it. Like she said......stay away from crunchy things and bread at this stage. I would take packages of flavored instant potates and make them to Soup consistency and drink it. It had no nutritional value but I was healing and it was very comforting. You will get pass this and you will love your new journey. Good Luck!

Immediately after surgery, food is only secondary. The primary requirements are Protein, fluids and Vitamins. Your body is converting stored fat into the energy your body needs to operate. At 2 weeks after surgery, I think it is a little early to be on Protein Bars.

Most people rely on Protein shakes for their Protein during the early stages. How well are you meeting your protein requirements?

When it comes to foods, Soups and chili are good, especially if they are fortified with extra protein. But at 2 weeks post op, even some of these might be a bit early.

On days that Miss Tummy was disagreable, I lived on mashed potatoes and applesauce, but I put unflavored Protein powder in them. I agree that if you are having issues swallowing and digesting, this is not a good time for crunchy Protein Bars. Since you are past a month out, you might try some soft cooked chicken run through the blender with some broth to help you with the digestion process.

I tried baby food in the soft food stage, but it was so bland and tasteless. I just ended up putting whatever was for dinner into the blender with broth. Also, it was easier for me to get fluids down if they were room temp or slightly warm. Cold things just did not work for me. I took Carafate for about three months, but at 15 months, I still take Omeprozole every day to prevent acid before it starts.

A year from now you won't be so mad at yourself. Our surgeries are inconvenient and uncomfortable, but time will pass quicker than you think. Be easy on your tummy. I agree that for a couple of days at least, go back to full liquids, and then come back with something very soft - not crunchy. I hope you get better.

Immediately after surgery, food is only secondary. The primary requirements are Protein, fluids and Vitamins. Your body is converting stored fat into the energy your body needs to operate. At 2 weeks after surgery, I think it is a little early to be on Protein bars.

Most people rely on protein shakes for their protein during the early stages. How well are you meeting your protein requirements?

When it comes to foods, Soups and chili are good, especially if they are fortified with extra protein. But at 2 weeks post op, even some of these might be a bit early.

I'm 7 weeks after surgery and the bar I try is called Power Crunch it's a waffle type of bar melts in my mouth and has 13 gr of protein. How should I get 60gr protein if I can't even drink the Protein shake? 2 sips in 30 min and I have pain and burp a lot.

On days that Miss Tummy was disagreable, I lived on mashed potatoes and applesauce, but I put unflavored Protein powder in them. I agree that if you are having issues swallowing and digesting, this is not a good time for crunchy Protein bars. Since you are past a month out, you might try some soft cooked chicken run through the blender with some broth to help you with the digestion process.

I tried baby food in the soft food stage, but it was so bland and tasteless. I just ended up putting whatever was for dinner into the blender with broth. Also, it was easier for me to get fluids down if they were room temp or slightly warm. Cold things just did not work for me. I took Carafate for about three months, but at 15 months, I still take Omeprozole every day to prevent acid before it starts.

A year from now you won't be so mad at yourself. Our surgeries are inconvenient and uncomfortable, but time will pass quicker than you think. Be easy on your tummy. I agree that for a couple of days at least, go back to full liquids, and then come back with something very soft - not crunchy. I hope you get better.

post-234273-14305151459356_thumb.jpg post-234273-14305151459356_thumb.jpg

I really hope it helps and you start to feel better soon.

My bad. You are 7 weeks post-op not 2 weeks, so Protein bars are not out of the question. One of the problems that I had after surgery was that I became lactose intolerant. Whenever I drank milk, it was instant gas pains and a quick trip to the bathroom. Some Protein powders and Protein shakes contain milk products. So I had to consume a lactose free Protein powder and mix the powder with Water and not milk. This condition lasted a couple months after surgery and then disappeared.

It is very hard to meet the protein requirements during the early stages after surgery without relying on Protein Shakes. There are many different products out there. I had to experiment until I found one that I could tolerate.

Are you able to tolerate Soups, such as egg drop Soup? If so I have included a few recipes in a short article that I wrote about my experiences. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

All of these ladies have posted some excellent comments. I am 6 months post op. I still have to put my meat in the ninja and chop it up very finely in order to eat it. But hey.....that is ok!! You know why.......cuz I am 100 lbs lighter!!! Is it an inconvenience.....YES!!! In your original post...you didnt mention how much weight you've lost. Don't be discouraged and don't ever let yourself think that you made a mistake by having WLS. Give you body time to heal and do WHATEVER it takes, eat WHATEVER you have to or can tolerate to achieve success and your ultimate goal. GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!!!