Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Day Home after Gastric Bypass Surgery

Hello Everyone,

Today is my first day back after surgery (my surgery was April 23rd, 2015). My stay was longer than expected due to a leak during surgery, I fell in that 2% chance of the leakage happening during surgery. I needed a blood transfusion and was not able to have Water for the first two days after surgery. On my 3rd day after surgery i was allowed to have sip of Water about 3cc every hour :( I had never wanted water more in my life... On the 4th day i was able to take a few steps and my water intake was a bit more, i felt very weak... not sure why i was able to start my shakes just two days before leaving the hospital but while at the hospital i drank two shakes a day. I never felt nausea after or before the water or shakes. Pain is what i felt.. I still have pain, i never knew how much pain i would be in. Wish that would have been something i knew or was talked about more. I felt pain since day one and even now 8 days after i feel so much pain. I guess it's expected after major surgery but for some reason i guess i didn't know how bad. They tried different pain medication for me while at the hospital and i ended up feeling better with Dilaudid... I take 4ml if the pain is really bad (mostly at night or in the morning) and 2ML so far once today. I haven't felt like ive found my "position" yet.. I feel that no matter if laying in bed, sitting on a recliner or walking i find comfort. The pain is one thing but not feeling comfortable any any moment is very stressful. Wish i could read more about how uncomfortable it is to even breath. Even now when i take a deep breath my left side hurts. My feel like my incisions are healing find, sure i have bruising and every color in the rainbow in my belly... but why so much pain still. My left side of my stomach feels hard, swollen and internally feels hard. when i walk i feel like i need to press my left upper stomach so it won't hurt as much or have that feeling like it's going to fall off. Is anyone else having this feeling of gravity pull while walking? I feel it even when i'm just sitting. Lying down feels the less comfortable but then the getting up..ugh! I've also notice numbness on my left arm and leg while sitting or laying down. I try to talk as much as possible, hopefully this will help. i just wish the pulling pain would go away... have my postop visit on may 6th and hopefully i feel better by then or the doctor could tell me why i'm feeling this way. I will continue to update how i'm doing here daily and hope to hear from you all and read your journeys. Good luck to us and hope it is all worth it :)

ps. i'll post of picture of my ugly bruised stomach and (blood pouch) sticking out of my stomach.. Fun times (haven't uploaded all my photos yet to my computer)

Hi there, I'm sorry you had to go through that pain. You are home now, get plenty of rest and walk whenever you can. I'm praying for a speedy recovery and for you to be free of pain. Good luck.

This is almost exactly how I feel! Surgery was 4/28 and when I stood the first time, my stomach felt like a led weight was in it and ready to hit the ground. That sensation made it feel like my incisions were being pulled. It's bad but I'm still making myself walk.

My arm is numb from the elbow to shoulder, they must have hit a nerve with the IV.

We'll get through this though!

I am so sorry that you have so much pain. Pain is different for everyone so it is very hard to compare one person to the next.

I hope you feel better soon!

So sorry this is what you are experiencing. My brother had the RNY five years ago and had mostly nausea but not that kind of pain. My surgery isn't until this summer sometime and I hope it goes well.

Take care and keep us posted.

I know it's hard to believe but it will get better.

I found that I get tons of pain from the pain meds. It's excruciating and in my left side, belly, and back. Come to find out its and intolerance to codeine and morphine. I had a bit of relief if I took tons of Gas X.

I would suggest trying Tylenol and see if it gets better. Like one morning take Tylenol instead of the pain med you are using.

Edited by WildGrits

@@WildGrits, pain melds are notorious for actually creating more pain. I think it is because they make you tired and less able to tolerate the pain.

At first they help, for the first day or so and then after that they were of no help to me.

Also I was on narcotic pain medication for years following spinal fusion surgery. After many years I still had terrible pain. I read something about narcotics actually causing more pain and decided to stop taking them. I no longer have pain every minute of the day. Yes I still have some pain but I can tolerate it and have found different ways to deal with it instead of those medications. Like ice and heat.

@@WildGrits, pain melds are notorious for actually creating more pain. I think it is because they make you tired and less able to tolerate the pain.

At first they help, for the first day or so and then after that they were of no help to me.

Also I was on narcotic pain medication for years following spinal fusion surgery. After many years I still had terrible pain. I read something about narcotics actually causing more pain and decided to stop taking them. I no longer have pain every minute of the day. Yes I still have some pain but I can tolerate it and have found different ways to deal with it instead of those medications. Like ice and heat.

I'm tried the ice pack and it is helping me some. i cut down on the medications to half and 6hour apart instead of the 4.. i rather deal with some pain now than some side effect from the STRONG pain meds i'm on now.

Thank you all for the show of support and prayers. You are all in my prayers and together we will overcome this choice to better ourselves. My pain is a little milder now still very painful and with the left side pain and pull feeling.. I do notice that as painful as walking may seem it is helping me. I'm currently using a walker (made as tall as possible) and take walks outside my house, and sit for a min when i feel its too painful. I've now taking about 5 to 6 five minute walks. Also happy to be able to go to the rest room on my own!!! How are you all sleeping or resting? It takes me about an hour to find a "good" position and even then i feel the pain. It's an everyday struggle but i'm a fighter and will not give up or cheat. And how long is the "honeymoon" period because yesterday was day 9 after surgery and for the first time i felt hunger and some cravings. lol.. i had a sugar free Jello and i guess that had to do..Good luck to us all and many blessings. I will continue to update.. have my post op on May 6.. lets see if they could remove the blood pouch i have sticking out of my stomach. :)

post-253124-14307162570854_thumb.jpgfrom my last day at the hospital. (April 29th, 2015)

And

post-253124-14307163273833_thumb.jpg

Now 5 days after being home. I'll continue to update. Thanks for not judging and for the support. ????

Ok Protein shakes.. I hate you guys.. Lol.. Today I had a banana muscle milk shake that was actually good. So if you guys are are having trouble with the Protein Shakes like me, give this a try.. It was tasty and not thick .. post-253124-14308678981867_thumb.jpg post-253124-1430867910134_thumb.jpg

post-253124-14308679860072_thumb.jpg

This has helped me so much with gas.. Plus they come individually packed .. Here is the box: post-253124-14308680308623_thumb.jpg

Your bruising looks bad but it looks like it is healing. Bless your heart. Is that much bruising normal?

Your bruising looks bad but it looks like it is healing. Bless your heart. Is that much bruising normal?

It's not, i had some blood lost and needed a transfusion.. it's much better now, healing fast. :)