Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT FOODS GETS STUCK or give you problems?

I had a big issue with tunafish. Only ate about 1/4 cup, but everything got stuck, resulting in major shoulder and neck pain. I'm never having tuna again!

I agree about the pop corn. I don't think there is any limit on

how much pop corn I could eat. I don't know why it goes

right through the band like there is no band.

It's the same with most crunchy foods. I like to eat a little

bit of Kashi Crunch Cereal because it's high in Fiber. I think

it's bad for the body not to have fiber. It also goes down

like there is no band.

Cheri, it sounds to me as if since your second fill you may be experiencing a first bite syndrome---it is actually not uncommon. They recommend you drink a sip or 2 of warm liquid...tea, even warm Water, prior to taking the first bite, it is some sort of spasm of the esophagus I believe. The warm water relaxes it and allows you to go on and eat normally. Sounds like it might be worth a try.

Good Luck!

Dana--You ARE supposed to be able to eat Protein. And with my Dr. that is his guideline. If you cannot eat hard protein, without pain, he considers you too tight of a fill. I do eat meat of all kinds, I eat eggs. I have had foods get "stuck", and have also had to be honest and usually attribute it to my own issues, of not having chewed well, or taken a big bite. I find myself getting lazy, and reverting to old habits, and they don't work too well with the band.

There are several threads, where bandsters have outlined what they eat daily. I eat pretty much the same things I did before, I just eat less of them, and eat them in a different manner. By that I mean, before banding, I might have went out to dinner, and had a steak, and baked potato, with a veggie, and bread and butter---maybe even a salad before dinner!!! And all in gargantuan proportions...and I would have eaten the majority of it, if anything got left it would have been the veggies!!! Now, I will eat mostly the steak, and some salad, maybe a couple of bites of potato, but sometimes it just is not worth the work to fix it, when I am only going to take a couple of bites!! Before, I would have babied that baked potato, and got the butter, sour cream ratio just right---lol---and I would have eaten it all. Now, it is good, but not THAT good anymore, and I can easily live without it, without feeling deprived. I also will make my salad, with more attention to variety, and only take a bite of each thing, instead of piling the plate high. And I have to be very careful with the salad, or I will be unable to eat any dinner!!

When we refer to things getting "stuck" they can mean a couple of different things. When something happens like Cheri refers to, the esopahgus, contracts, which is a normal action for it, it helps us to swallow food, but it is doing it at inappropriate times. Sometimes it doing this is a sign of undiagnosed acid reflux--which was a problem my DH had---and he is not banded!!! I had to do the heimlich on him several times as food got stuck. When he began the Prilosec, after the Dr, diagnosed reflux, no more choking/sticking food problems.

The other "stuck" is when we eat too much, or take too big of a bite, or eat something that is not digesting enough to pass through the small opening where our band is placed. Bread tends to ball up into a dough, and then the gluten is released, and it gets Gummy, and is very hard to pass through the small opening. When we are too restricted with too much fill, it is hard to get much through at all. Chewing really well and not over eating is key. Overeating causes problems, because the pouch needs room to move, to digest the food, when we over eat, it packs tight, and just sits. Leading to the slimes ( a natural reaction of the body trying to help slick things up to pass them through) and eventually a PB if it does not move.

I was afraid I didn't make that sound too clear last time!

As for the popcorn---I love the stuff, and I do eat it! I was told popcorn is seldom broke down when you chew it, you just flatten it out! Dunno if that is the concern or what, but I have never had issue with it...and I don't eat the kernals....DH does though---well the parially popped ones!!!

Dana if you are still concerned about what a normal breakfast, lunch or dinner would consist of for me, or another bandster, just shoot us a PM, most of us are always willing to help!

Kat

Thanks Kat, I will definately try the warm Water. that sounds like what I got going on. you really put a lot of effort:typing: into helping with our issues. We, at least I, really do very much thankyou:angel:.

Dana, sorry we scared you. don't think for a minute that I wouldn't do this again. MOST of the time it is all ok, I am just trying to adjust to the new phase, not always that gracefully! It is still the best thing I have ever done for myself!!! I have my same breakfast as before only less, about 3/4 c of plain (whole milk, it's the only one i like) yogurt with a sm. hand full (1/4c measured) special K red berry. that still goes down very well. lunch varies, I'm still working on that! I usually take 1/2c cottage cheese and have it with soy crisp crackers. they are high Protein and seem to go down well. then i take some pureed chicken, ham or egg "salad" to have if I get hungry, again with a few of the crackers. 17 are a serving of the crackers, I don't have anywhere near that. dinner .......??? that is a work in progress! Like the popcorn at night, i know, very bad:bandit Good luck tomorrow! you might check out the "hungry newby "thread.

I have never had problems with any foods except for brownies. I ate a very tiny bite and started slimming immediately, it was horrible. No more brownies for me. I do eat rice every day, not a problem. chicken, steak, pasta... no problem. I do chew it all very very well at least 30 times.

FYI, I have 7 ccs in a 10cc band.

I am so happy to hear that somebody can tolerate rice! I am a huge sushi lover and am hoping I can tolerate it. Even if I can only eat 1 or 2 pieces, that is fine with me! How about raw fish? ahi, salmon, hamachi??? Any advice?

thanks.... D.

(being banded tomorrow)

I have never had problems with any foods except for brownies. I ate a very tiny bite and started slimming immediately, it was horrible. No more brownies for me. I do eat rice every day, not a problem. chicken, steak, pasta... no problem. I do chew it all very very well at least 30 times.

FYI, I have 7 ccs in a 10cc band.

Dana...

Best advice I can give... chew chew chew and then chew some more. I've not had any problems with anyfood that I chew carefully. Just sit back and slowly enjoy your food.< /p>

I agree with the chewing- chew until it's liquid. Then wait and see if you feel

any kind of problem. What gets us in trouble is eating fast, things back up,

then it's too late. If I do that, I can eat pretty much anything , so far. I am having another fill next week, so that may be changing.

With every fill I have had though, after about a week or so, as long as I chew very well, I don't have a problem. Chewing, waiting, taking tiny bites are the key to it all.

Lets see my list looks like most of yours--

I don't eat bread--

pizza or

scrambled eggs either--

They will come right back up--

Some times Pasta is okay other times it's not-- same with rice--

Steak gives extreme trouble--

I can eat some chicken breast- but like you all --too dry not good.

Has anyone out there had to have food removed by the doctor. I'm curious how often that happens. It scares me to death.

Doctor: Dr. Storey / Pasadena, Tx

Banded 08/06/2007

Lost: 17 lbs

110 lbs left to go.....

Thanks Sue! I will do that. I may just avoid raw fish for now, since it's not so pleasant if you chew it a lot. Also, I just realized that I'll never be able to do another oyster shooter! WWHHHHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!